Turntable On A Budget

Ironsave

This is a Garrard DDQ550 TT.

Is this a decent TT for $80-$100 or steer me in a better direction please.

I have read that DD is frowned upon......

I want something in nice shape; good quality and under $80-$100......

I know that is asking a lot; especially because most Audiophile TTs can be way more expensive.....

Thoughts?

I'll be interested to hear what people say as I'm in a similar position myself. I'd like to get a turnable, but since I only have maybe 15 records and don't know how many I'll buy in the future, investing $100s seems potentially wasteful.

Folks tend to recommend things like the Pro-Ject Debut III at around $380 as a great "entry-level" turntable with nice sound, but at nearly $400, that's quite a commitment!

There are quite a few at the $100-$150 price point, but I have no idea which are viable or useless! I'll be tuned in too!

Ona,

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am glad we are in the same boat..... [:D]

Indeed, a $400 commitment is not feasible for me either; especially when I may just decide I want to stick with FLAC, High Quality MP3s or CDs....

I am tenatively scheduled to pick this model TT up tomorrow. It is from the early '80s and looks mint.

Hoping someone chimes in soon.......

I was fortunate enough to pick up a dj coffin with two Technics SL-1200s and a crap mixer. Sold one of the turntables for about $50 less than the whole setup, and the mixer for another $30 or so. Basically a free SL-1200. Just keep looking... [;)]

Bruce

This is a Garrard DDQ550 TT.

Is this a decent TT for $80-$100 or steer me in a better direction please.

I have read that DD is frowned upon......

I want something in nice shape; good quality and under $80-$100......

I know that is asking a lot; especially because most Audiophile TTs can be way more expensive.....

Thoughts?

This is a tough situation to address, so at the risk of over simplifying, here are my thoughts.

The cartridge is gong to have the greatest initial impact on the quality of reproduction. The table, motor, drive system all have impacts as well just less than the cartridge initially. As each part improves something else becomes the weakest and most underperforming piece. This is true with each component of your system as well.

Soo.., when a decent entry level cartridge would cost say a $100, what do you say about an $80 table?

I think you can get an idea of if you are going to like vinyl with a $100 table, but it is just a distant second. No where near the reality of what a more expensive setup can deliver. Similar to the allure of cheap perfume.

At that price point you are going to have to decide if it is worth a hundred bucks to get an idea if you will like it knowing that what ever you buy is not going to be "good enough" for very long. If you get really lucky you may find something vintage that cost $1000 in it's day for a couple hundred bucks, clean it up and then save up for a new cartridge and maybe cables.

Bottom line, I think that budget is too low for anything to compete with your digital sources. Vinyl can take you places you may have not heard yet, but not for $100.

Now I have seen a few B&O tables sell pretty cheap (Too cheap IMHO) for $150 +/- and they can sound pretty darn goon if the cartridge and needle are in good shape.

So, let's say you have a budget of $100 and want to test out vinyl. I wonder if you might not be better off just grabbing a consumer entry-level Sony or Pioneer or something new. At least that way you know you'll start with a cart/needle in working condition and you can get enough of a taste to know if you'd like to dip your foot further in the water?

BTW, I'm debating going this way myself. At least I know I'll have a working table and if I upgrade, this could be used in another room or something.

I couldn't find much info on that table so I can't really judge, but I will say I like the looks of it, it looks solid. Made in '79 and in good shape, I don't think you can loose from an investment standpoint. You may need a cartridge and needle, hopefully down the road a bit. Don't sweat the direct drive, that can be a good thing.

Play it before if you can. If it is solid, quiet and turns on and off ok you will enjoy it. A few choice records will be $80 worth of enjoyment [:)]

On the other topic,

I would not buy a new low dollar table. I just don't think it will give you a fair representation of what vinyl will really sound like. A 1979 table is a much more solid way to go.

I don't want to the guy that poops in the punch bowl but a cheap turntable is just not worth it. It takes a pretty decent TT to sound better than even a cheap CD player. In a lower price table, I'd definitely look for a belt drive. In a direct drive a SL1200 would be the bare minimum. I don't know how much you have to spend today to get a good table, I quit when I was spending a weeks pay on cartridges, and I was making very good money.

I don't want to the guy that poops in the punch bowl but a cheap turntable is just not worth it. It takes a pretty decent TT to sound better than even a cheap CD player. In a lower price table, I'd definitely look for a belt drive. In a direct drive a SL1200 would be the bare minimum. I don't know how much you have to spend today to get a good table, I quit when I was spending a weeks pay on cartridges, and I was making very good money.

My point was if $100 was the budget and he couldn't test the table, buying a table from the 70s that may require new parts or maintenence may mean well exceeding the budget before the unit even works.

Edit: Of course, a new $100 turntable that sounds like crap also doesn't meet the goal, even if it meets the budget.

I am going to throw my 2 cents in being that I have and am in this boat,

For Iron I would at least make sure the unit works and could play vinyl now. That way u are not dumping money in something you may not like. I will say that as far as other sources I do like cds just as much except for the fact it is fun swapping out records and they do have a great sound. I don't think at this point dd or bd tables are going to help you judge the sound and or quality of the sound watch the needles and carts. For the both of you watch cl there are always deals on there for good easy to work with. I started with technics bd that was a thrift store find I put a 10 dollar belt and 30.00$ cart that had me at 50.00$ for the set up which pushed me to pick up a Thorens for 100$ here on the forum. I also answered a cl ad for a sansui system for 10$ which had a technics table with it. So keep your eyes out there are deals out there that will get u in for nothing.

Good luck on a fun road.

Nick

Cask, Thanks for the attatchment.

To all, thanks for your opinions and input.

I did buy this Garrard, wound up being cheaper than I thought..... Can not complain about that!

It has a pickering cartridge and needle.

The owner purchased this new back in the day, and I believe him when he says it was used maybe 5 times.

I still need vinyl, but this thing is mint; and holds speed perfectly. (I checked for accuracy with a tach).

We shall see how it sounds...... Thanks to all again........ [Y]

The owner purchased this new back in the day, and I believe him when he says it was used maybe 5 times

Perfect! That sounds like a great find. Low use, vintage table from the original owner.

This should be just right to find out what the fuss is all about.

Just think of it as a gateway drug!

Congrats!

The owner purchased this new back in the day, and I believe him when he says it was used maybe 5 times

Perfect! That sounds like a great find. Low use, vintage table from the original owner.

This should be just right to find out what the fuss is all about.

Just think of it as a gateway drug!

Congrats!

Thanks!

Yeah, I am excited also! It may wind up leading me to spend $400 or more, but I believe this is a decent starter.

It is way better than the current low end offerings, so we shall see!

I saw a beautiful Marantz TT going for $365 on CL, but this would have to be down the road.

So, I have this hooked up to my HK 430 Twin, and Klipsch KG 2 speakers.

It is amazing how much variance there is in the sound.

Some records sound really bad. (In particular, "The Last In Line", By Ronnie James Dio).

Others sound as good as their FLAC counterparts. (Slightly warmer, but sound really great).

Keep in mind, this is a set of Klipsch KG 2s, HK 430 (Turntable) being compared to a set of Klipsch Heresy Is, HK AVR 7300 (FLAC).

I need a phono preamp if I want this to go with my AVR 7300.......

Anyway.... Thanks to all...... This is definitely interesting.....

(Yeah, I can see myself wanting something Audiophile Quality eventually).......