if i build a stage

The Dude

So I don't know if I should post this here or powered subs but I might also post over in the ibsub website but I was thinking of building a stage about 2'x 2'x6'6", that my center channel which is a Lascala will sit on. So I was seeing if any one has any good ideas about using this stage for a box for a couple of subs. Just throwing some ideas around I even thought about building a false wall out the depth of the lascala and put one of those tht subs everyone has been building but I don't like how far they will stick out.

Thanks

Nick

I don't exactly understand what you are trying to do. Why 2'X2'X6'6"? Are you talking about a platform for subs beneath, and the LaScala to sit on?

If so, then you might consider a couple table tubas on their sides. The measurements are 29.75" X 29.75" X 12-36" (variable). You could easily power them both with a single 400-500 watt amp. They would stick out 29.75" instead of the 24" you want, but the total cost of the system would be in the neighborhood of $550 total amp and 2 subs.

Sorry if it seems sketchy(most of my post do if you have ever read one)But I was at work and writing the post on my phone. But yea Mustang thats about what I was doing is raising the LaScala about 2 feet. The measurements were based off of the size of the LaScala I guess 6 more inches out wouldn't be to bad. I am working from scratch here so there are many options, PSG I have looked at some of the tapped horns and to be honest I don't know were to start with a diy sub enclosure(not to say I am not capable of building one I mean my dad is a tv repair man and he has a awesome set of tools), I do how ever want to keep it like a stage kind of presences.

A couple of things to consider is I will have K-horns for mains so they need to keep up, which sounds like there is lots of subs out there that will. I just see a lot of people using the Tuba ht with them and I think someone around here has even built a IB sub under their room and had a manifold under their LaScala, I know the only way for me to build one under the floor would be to tear up concrete. But I have seen some fellas on the forum build line array looking subs in their home theater.

Endless possibilities it will take the time to find the right one for the cause.

Keep the ideas coming fellas, and ladies if you are around.

I could even do 2 of these, and just lay them on their side. And build a platform for the center have one on each side.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_136&products_id=907

This is my problem so many ideas, so little time, well not really it will take a while to save.

One thing is I don't have to have them 6' 6" long they could be shorter. I was looking at the dts 20 from Danley Its a little to long and the port only on one side bugs me I know with this much pressure from this thing I don't think I would notice it for the back or even front row.

I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on the plans for the tt now they have the long style for both the tt and the tht.

I mean for 14.95 I don't know why I am thinking sounds like they could be built at low cost plus I all ready have a amp. I think I might get both plans for the table tuba.

still will take any ideas how to handle this space these just might be a fun build.

Thanks for pointing these out guys.

Nick

If you are going to use KHorns as mains, then I guarantee that the THT is a good choice. The horn-loaded bass sounds exactly the same to me and it can "keep up". Beware that the THT does best away from walls, which doesn't sound like what you want to do. But you'll get results in any case. Check out my build thread in the subwoofer section of the forum.

So I don't know if I should post this here or powered subs but I might also post over in the ibsub website

If you're doing a new HT build in a room, you should seriously consider an IB. You'll spend a little more for drivers but you'll make up for in in extension. If you're strictly using it for music, stick with the horn loaded sub.

Cecaa, you have mentioned this to me before in another thread, since than I have been highly interested in one but was having trouble finding a location to place the sub. Then I got to thinking of my false wall why couldn't I make a full enclosure this would be about 100 cubic feet maybe more. So I started researching drivers based off of recommendations in the basic facts and found the Dayton 12 that looks like it would be a canidate I just need to ask some questions the ib sub forum.

Psg I am also looking at the table tuna, for the price it wouldn't be bad to build and if all else fails I can use upstairs.

Nick

That's why I was looking at that one cause the bad was 2.27 so 4 of those wouldn't exceed the 10 times rule but sounds like I will have to find a 15. How do you feel about what the site says about doing at least 4 times the vas though it wouldn't be a true ib but you will still get great lows. Also what is considered low fs. Do you have pics of yours and little detail on operation.

PICS at the IB forum, about 1/2 way down the page Carl P's. I didn't have a digital camera at the time so I used a disposable camera and scanned them. Kinda lo-res shots. It looks MUCH better in person. I was going to make some nice grills and hide them but my wife liked the look of the drivers exposed!

Operation. The signal goes from my pre-pro to a BFD for EQ. From there, a cable goes in the wall and comes out in my kitchen to a cabinet above my refrigerator. That's where the sub amp is. The amplified signal goes from there back into the wall and up into the attic to the drivers.

The fs on my drivers is 17 Hz. That's pretty low. If you get anything around 25 or lower, you should be able to make it work.

You can ask Thomas over at the Cult the 4 x vas question. I've not heard one set up that way.

Of note, there are some 12" IB's but they'll run out of gas in larger rooms and have trouble keeping up with efficient speakers (Klipsch).

Thanks for sharing seems there's more than one way to skin a cat is yours what they consider a line array why did you not do a manifold style. Hopefully I have time to post tonight for the first time over in cult of the ib sub forum. I will drop thomas a line. Maybe get his input.

Thanks for your time.

Mine is a line array. The walls really need heavy bracing if you go that route. The manifold is basically a box mounted to the wall that the drivers mount to and then fire into the room through a common opening. One note about the Cult. Keep all your questions pertaining to your build in one thread. It's easier for Thomas to keep up with as opposed to starting a new thread every time yo have a different question pertaining to your build.

Cecaa, you have mentioned this to me before in another thread, since than I have been highly interested in one but was having trouble finding a location to place the sub. Then I got to thinking of my false wall why couldn't I make a full enclosure this would be about 100 cubic feet maybe more. So I started researching drivers based off of recommendations in the basic facts and found the Dayton 12 that looks like it would be a canidate I just need to ask some questions the ib sub forum. Psg I am also looking at the table tuna, for the price it wouldn't be bad to build and if all else fails I can use upstairs. Nick

If you ultimately go with a 12, the Dayton only has 18.9mm of xmax. For about $20 more look at the ficaraudio 12 which has 30 mm xmax. You'l neeed it.

Well I ordered my table tuba plans today the original and the long style, this is just something for fun to try but not left out for ideas.

I also posted a thread on the Cult fo the Ib sub page here, Carl were do I find these drivers you speak of.

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=projects&action=display&thread=1778.

This project will be in research and shopping mode until after the up coming holidays. I should start some construction here and there but will not get to serious until about Jan. But let the fun begin for now.

thanks to all who replied I will keep updates and pics.

Nick.