Removing Cornwall motorboard

PSUSkier

there are two types of old cornwall boards.

one type has a cloth grill wrapped around it. These were stapled in with light gluing. These can be mallated out pretty easy since the glue is just between the fabric and the inside frame of the main can.

the other type has a plywood front with no grill. the top edge of teh front board is flush with the top of the cabinet. These are very difficult to remove, but not impossible. sometimes the wood does not surviive the removal process.

there are two types of old cornwall boards.

one type has a cloth grill wrapped around it. These were stapled in with light gluing. These can be mallated out pretty easy since the glue is just between the fabric and the inside frame of the main can.

the other type has a plywood front with no grill. the top edge of teh front board is flush with the top of the cabinet. These are very difficult to remove, but not impossible. sometimes the wood does not surviive the removal process.

They're the former... Looking closer you're absolutely right, I do see some glue residue in the corners. The delicate porting (in that there's a lot of wood missing) at the bottom has me a bit concerned so I may hit them with heat off the start.

If there's glue involved and using a rubber mallet doesn't do the trick, you can use a heat gun to get the glue to liquefy first. May I ask why you are wanting to remove them?

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to take them out because the cabinets are pretty much destroyed but the motor board is in great shape. I ordered some maple plywood to rebuild the cabinets from scratch.

You can use a hard wood block or a piece of bar stock to direct impact as you whack around the board especially around the vent where there is not much meat. You might just consider leaving the cabinets alone and selling them to someone who only want a rough pair for the shop or garage. Bob Crites will cut you custom boards on a CNC machine for a reasonable cost. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html

IIRC, some guy around here did something like this using a hydraullic jack. Most of us, myself included, all said it would not work. We we were wrong....

He slowly forced it apart with the pressure of the jack and snapped the glue joint evenly (he probably had some boards to distribute the force). Personally, I am not sure what the savings are in trying to salvage the motorboard.

IIRC, some guy around here did something like this using a hydraullic jack. Most of us, myself included, all said it would not work. We we were wrong....

He slowly forced it apart with the pressure of the jack and snapped the glue joint evenly (he probably had some boards to distribute the force). Personally, I am not sure what the savings are in trying to salvage the motorboard.

For me, the biggest savings come from not having a router to cut out the port/horn/driver holes. I am checking with Mr. Crites to see what his price for those would be for a pair. I didn't really entertain the thought that the cabinets without the drivers were really worth anything.

I sense a tone of sarcasm, well it hurts not to ask before you build a fire. Besides there are lots of guys on this forum who have lots of parts but are not set up to hack wood so an old but sturdy set of cabinets would be little work to throw the drivers into. Save a Klipsch today and make someone smile for a lifetime. Best regards Moray James.

A couple of questions; where do you live, what exactly is wrong with the cabinets, are they just cosmetically trashed or are they coming apart? If this is just cosmetics you would have this done much quicker if you veneered them or even went over them with 1/4" or 1/2" plywood if you're not comfortable with veneering.

BTW, I'm the "some guy around here" that used a hydraulic jack and heat gun to remove the back of a cornwall 2 cabinet, so it can be done without ruining it.