Is it the AL-3 or the squakers ?

mustang guy

If you don't mask off the plastic when using Loctite 380, this is what it will do to the ABS material when it cures. The resultant vapor will deposit itself on nearby surfaces. [:|]

A "very quick" wipe with a rag dipped in Acetone and the cap was back to normal appearance. Wear gloves! The combination of cyanoacrylate and ABS is nasty.

post-42237-13819799791754_thumb.jpg

A few other tips for working on these.

I put index marks on everything before diving in and removing things. That way, I knew the original orientation of the parts, how far to torque the screws, and how firm to tighten the driver onto the horn.

Below is how I clocked the driver. By my eye, "factory tight" is about an 1/8th of a turn further clockwise, from the point where you can feel the driver contact the new gasket.

post-42237-13819799814542_thumb.jpg

I was uneasy about separating the throat free-hand (with the diaphragm still attached) from the magnet. It's a tight fit, it takes a bit of force as the magnet wants to hold everything together, and there's the opportunity to crush or drag the voice coil if I wasn't extremely careful.

Making some locating pins out of 2" 8-32 socket-head cap screws (with the heads cut off and ground smooth) really worked nice for removal and assembly of these two components.

post-42237-13819799816512_thumb.jpg

Sealing the leaks from the rear cap and driver / horn junction is NOT a trivial maintenance item, IMHO. [8]

Air leaks in any horn is a bad situation. In the bass bin, they will
lead to poor performance and blown drivers. In the compression horns,
they manifest as irritating distortion and skewed frequency response.

The sonic improvement in the midrange is blatantly immediate given the basic nature and minimal cost of the repair. [:|]

The most noticeable effect is the increased midrange SPL's. Over the last few weeks, it hadn't dawned on me that I was listening to the entire system about 6-10 dB hotter than normal, just in order to hear dialogue.

With everything sealed up, it's back to normal levels. I went from VOL -54 dB back down to VOL -66 dB

It also brought back that characteristic smoothness in the mid's. [Y]

The felt happened to be in very good condition.

I opted not to attempt to replace it because I only fully disassembled one driver, and I'm uncertain if replacements are even available. The other one, I left glued together per Trey Cannon's guidance, and just fixed it's debonded outer edge.

The felt was glued in there pretty well. I imagine trying to remove it would have destroyed it entirely. Before I put everything back together I made sure it was as clean as possible...picking off any random debris that it had accumulated, but I left the hardened shellac on there and applied my adhesive right over the top of it.

I looked at the pic again... I hadn't noticed the three 'fingers' that hold the felt. I thought it was some of the glue. The felt itself does look to be in good condition. You did a great job cleaning off the old shellac. Nice job!

Bruce

• 1 year later...

So that's what that damn noise is I keep hearing from my midrange squakers... been driving me crazy!!! I also had to remove the plastic rings around my klf woofers because the frames rusted allowing the black paint to come loose that the glue was stuck to holding the rings on... I say we hunt down the idiot who decided glue was the wave of klipsch's future and glue him to a tree!!!

Edited by cradeldorf
  • Like 1

I say we hunt down the idiot who decided glue was the wave of klipsch's future and glue him to a tree!!!

:emotion-21:

I've personally owned three pair of La Scala. All six horns had K55M, and all six eventually suffered the same buzzing problem.

The only speakers I have that didn't have de-bonded K55M drivers are the pair of HIP. They appeared to have been repaired at some time in the past with a very good glue.

The K55M are certainly worth fixing / keeping IMO, because once repaired, they sound really good.