Marantz MA500 Buzz

Hi,

I need some help. I just bought 5 Marantz MA500s and one outputs just a buzz regardless of whether the input is hooked up or not.

Does anyone know what is wrong? Is it a simple fix or an expensive fix?

I have troubshot the speaker, input, power outlet, etc, and am pretty sure it is the amp, but don't really know anything about the internal workings of amps. Thanks in advance for your help.

You got a good deal on 4 of those monoblocks.

I didn't get the California MA500's. I got mine off Audiogon for $100 a piece. So, although $125 each for 4 working isn't awful, I wouldn't have bought them at $125 each.

Perhaps the shielding in this amp is a little less effective.

I don't think it has anything to do with shielding or interference, since I can't get any music output at all. It is just buzz.

Unplug it, open it up, and take a look at the wires to the input jack (assuming that it isn't circuit board mounted). The problem "may" be there, although there is much else that could cause the symptom you describe.

Anything in particular I am looking for with the wires? Solid connection?

Yes, look for a solid connection to the center pin of the jack in
particular. If you have an old, crappy, speaker you can connect it to,
power it up (being extremely careful not to touch any exposed 120 volt
wiring from the power cord), and use a straw or piece of dowel to move
some of the leads around to see if you hear anything in the speaker. In
fact, if you can feed a signal into the amp from a tuner or cd player,
you can use this method to determine if moving any wiring results in
sound being heard.

Check the capictors while you have them opened up. These amps are around 10 years old in most cases so the caps do need to be checked. Also if you smell a rotten egg smell coming from it when it is turned on that can be a sign of a bad cap. Sometimes with these amps too you will hear a buzz through your speakers if you just have the amps on but your source is not turned on. 4 at $125 a piece with a hopefully fixable one for free is not bad. Let us know what you figure out.

Anything in particular I am looking for with the wires? Solid connection?

As much as I love these monoblocks and the big brother MA-700's, the RCA connections are mid level receiver-like, not hex nut bolted on like most good quality amps. Look to see if any cracked soldering where RCA and input wires connect. May just need a touch of solder.

Bill

I took the cover off and the RCA input is circuit board mounted, so no loose wires there. I couldn't find any loose wires, and no rotten egg smell either. I have checked different outputs from my receiver to make sure it wasn't the output, and it is not. The output works on other amps, and no outputs work on this amp, but it is that same buzz that you hear if you have the amp on (& hooked to a speaker) with no input coming in. (I felt the panic of hearing this buzz coming from a speaker hooked to a different amp, only to realize 10 seconds later that the RCA cable was not hooked to the receiver. whew!)

I did contact the seller, and he said I can ship it back and he will replace it, so, worst case I have to pay shipping to get it replaced.