Anthem P5 Statement

shake777

Hi Kfkb, I just updated my profile as I returned the Parasound Halo A51. I was unhappy with it as it seemed a little bright and lacking in bottom which the salesman at Audio Advisor said was unlike the feedback they usually get for the amp. I should give some thanks to Audio Advisor for being prompt about handling the return even though the outer box had been destroyed when it was shipped to me.

Back to the issue. I'm thinking I want to match up an Anthem Statement P5 that would give me 500wpc with the 4 ohm Palladiums I have. I know this might seem like overkill with the efficiency of Klipsch but even Klipsch Tech Services said the 200wpc McIntosh 205 was a little weak for the the P38s as they do better with over 300wpc. So I guess I have my own answer at least that far but I'm not really a big fan of Anthem and I can't afford a big watt name amp like Krell or Levinson. I have been using my Denon 4810 as a pre-pro. According to Denon Tech Services its a very good solid performer in that role. It actually sounds pretty good pushing only 5 channels as the watts are not severely diminished from the advertised 140wpc. Its the only thing I have to power my system right now. The P5 does not come cheap at $5900.00 The main problem is that amplifier specs are over my head. I guess I'm going to have to go slow on this, do some homework and hope that those wiser than I will help out. Thanks for taking an interest. Nic

Not sure this is what you want, but have you considered Emotiva? A couple of 500 wpc monoblocks would likely do quite well and would only cost $2000.00. They have the 30 day return policy so you would have the opportunity to try them out. For $6K you could even tr-wire your speakers with 3 500 WPC monoblocks each!

I saw another fellow tri-wired his P-39s with three Marantz stereo amps. I believe they were 140 WPC, so you could get 420 wpcs to each tower with three of those and it would leave a ton of room in your budget. If Marantz or Emo is too "common," maybe some tri-wired Rotels? I think Spectrum makes some 500 wpc amps in your price range.

Food for thought.

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for but I can tell you what I am using - and I am very happy with it even if the Palldiums can handle quite a bit more.

As you may remember I run a 7.1 Palladium system with the P39s as the mains. I power the system with two 5 channel Marantz MM7055 power amps. I use 6 channels to bi-amp the P39Fs and the 27C center, then the remaining 4 channels for the 17B sides and the 27S rears.

The Marantz are rated to 140W per channel with an 8ohm load, meaning 280W if you use a 4ohm load. I guess in theory you get 460W when you bi-amp the fronts and center, but you probably don't as the channel running the LF will use mover power than the channel feeding the MF and HF speakers - so you will never get both channels to reach maximum at the same time.

I was uncertain whether the Marantz would be up to the task because their brochures (and manuals) say that the minimum load should be 6ohm. Before I bought them I contacted Marantz engineering in Germany and asked them about the 4ohm Palladiums and they ensured me that the amps could handle it - and they can indeed. Honestly I could not be much happier. Yes, I know, having a couple of great Macs or Krells would be awesome but the Marantz give me much more than I need.

My viewing/listening area is not that big and if I am watching a movie at -15dB my wife cannot even be in the house!!! I can watch movies at this level and the amps are dead silent (no fans move or anything) for hours. When everything was new I turned the volume up to almost maximum and let the 5.1 surround version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon run for hours to break in the system. When running that hard both power amps had to use their cooling fans - but I can tell you there is no way you can hear them then. The only reason I discovered it was that they kept on running for 25-30 seconds after I turned the volume down.

And when I was doing that not even I could be in the room for more than a few minutes. The sound was crisp and clear, no distortion, but just way too loud for comfort!!

Shake777,

I know you may not have considered these but maybe you can can be the first on the forum to take the plunge with the "New" Aragon amps from Indy Audiolabs. They sure look sweet. A pair of 400w monoblocks would be cool. I have spoken to and had email correspondence with Rick Santiago(co-owner and CEO) about tech support for the older Aragons and Acurus gear. He was very cordial and very willing to assist with any issues that may arise with my Acurus amps.

http://www.aragonav.com/aragon%20product%20page.html

power output 400W into 8 ohms, mono 600W into 4 ohms, mono
THD < 0.02% < 0.03%
frequency response 5Hz to 20kHz +0/-0.1dB 5Hz to 100kHz +0/-2.0dB
tim/dim distortion 0.010%
s/n 112 dB, A-weighted
damping factor 200, 8 @50Hz
input sensitivity 1W: 60mV (SE & balanced) 400W: 1.2V (SE & balanced)
input impedance 15kohms (SE), 45k (bal)
ethernet/RS-232 status & control of standby/on
12V standby/on control
inputs gold-plated, panel-mounted RCA jacks XLR balanced jack
outputs 2 sets gold-plated, insulated speaker binding posts
power consumption standby: 1W idle: 120W max: 1500W
physical 6.75"(17.1 cm) x 19"(48.3 cm) x 15"(38.1 cm) 64 lbs (29.2 kg)
colors black, silver or gunmetal with satin anodized finish laser-etched logo
shipping carton 11"(27.9 cm) x 23"(58.4 cm) x 21"(53.3 cm) 74 lbs (33.5 kg)
Bill

post-26822-13819665016198_thumb.jpg

Thanks Cfkb, I have thought about Emottiva but Klipsch Tech Ser has steered me away from them because at least one Tech felt that the amps weren't up to snuff for Pallladiums. Thank you also for your other recommendations. I guess if the dealer gives me the opportunity to return the Anthem Statement P5, I'll give it a shot. but get this, you need two 15amp outlets to power it up! It actually has two power cords! I'm going to have to spend a few hundred bucks to rewire my basement Believe me, I realize these are problems that some people wish they had so I'm still lucky and you won't hear too much complaining from me. Thanks again for hanging with me, Nic

CornfedKB, I think Im going to do it your way. It turns out my Denon can't go to 4ohms safely. So the only thing I can afford is Emotiva. Thje XPA1 has a great rep and they are coming out with a new pre-pro early next year that will be available at a 40% discount or $900 with the purchase of the current UMC1 at a tidy price of 499. You get to keep the UMC1 when you obtain the new one so its a chance to make a few dollars by way of selling it; I don't know if this makes sense but that's the way I understand it. Maybe only Skule can comprehend. Ha! So wish me luck on my latest audio adventure. Nic

Thanks CFKB, Its going to take some time because I have refunds due that I need to help pay for the roughly six grand this will cost (a real bargain for this much and quality system addition). The most exciting thing to me is that I'm going with five XPA1 which will give five thousand watts at 4ohms. Good grief I hope I don't weld some pipes down there in my basement. I may have to have an electrician come in and add a breaker or two but well worth the effort. So once again I lean to the extreme and I know there is more than one member shaking his head saying what on earth do you need that kind of power for such efficient speakers. However, the Klipsch Tech agreed this was a great way to go and would fire up the Palladiums like almost nothing else could. I will certainly let you know if I still have a house that the fire department won't have to visit every day. :)) Nic

Hey Nic,

I've been meaning to see how that parasound worked out for you. I told you before you ordered it I had a similar experience with the Halo stuff I had. Don't orders those XPA-1's just yet! I'll try to give you a call later today and ad my 2 cents.