My new SW-112 rattles a bit in base heavy scenes...

Celso74

hear this when i pump it up in base heavy scenes....it rattles a bit and it's inside the sub...nothing when i shake the sub though

First i thought it was shaking something surrounding it but when I eliminated that it was still there....watching the openings scene of the last Harry Potter part 2 and something inside the sub like near the cone seems to rattle - am talking heavy base when the cone really pops out

when i turn down the gain to 50% it becomes less but still ever so slightly there - normally i like the gain at 60% as i want to feel the bass

What could be wrong with it?

You're probably over-taxing the sub. You should decrease the gain on the sub so as not to damage it. If you want to feel the bass, upgrade or add a second one. There's only so much bass that an SW-112 can put out. Stacking two of these will greatly increase your bass performance and decrease the liklihood of any damage to the unit.

You're probably over-taxing the sub. You should decrease the gain on the sub so as not to damage it. If you want to feel the bass, upgrade or add a second one. There's only so much bass that an SW-112 can put out. Stacking two of these will greatly increase your bass performance and decrease the liklihood of any damage to the unit.

Man I hate being over-taxed, really chaffs my wallet.

hear this when i pump it up in base heavy scenes....it rattles a bit and it's inside the sub...nothing when i shake the sub though

First i thought it was shaking something surrounding it but when I eliminated that it was still there....watching the openings scene of the last Harry Potter part 2 and something inside the sub like near the cone seems to rattle - am talking heavy base when the cone really pops out

What could be wrong with it?

The next time that base pops out, catch it and fry er up, sum good eating is to be has with base.

• 2 weeks later...

Man I hate being over-taxed, really chaffs my wallet.

Holy cow. I thought I knew all the taxes, and now this? I'm done!

LOL

Not super loud i think - i have a small Onkyo 604 volume up to 55 goes to 99

55 is a good volume for watching movies, with my old smaller sub i had to crank it up to 68/70

Of course i could dial it down more 12 o'clock and see what happens but thought i could crank the base a bit on a 12 inch sub without it breaking a sweat.

So what's the deal then with a sub, how much gain do most people use. I checked the back and the gain goes from 1 to 11 (min to max)

Onkyo sub level could go down further too but what's normal?

I just got the sub not willing to spend much more on one, i also thought i nailed it with this one for the money. Great base just that rattle is very annoying

If you have an ipod, download a tone generator, and play low tones at different frequencies through your receiver and into the sub. Get it to make the noise, and then isolate where it is coming from. If not the voice coil, then something is loose or delaminating or even something near the speaker that is oscillating and echoing. Personally, I would use my little minijack to rca adapter, and plug my ipod right into the sub and play the tones. That way I could put the sub in the middle of the floor and have a real good look and listen.

• 3 weeks later...

AC Audio Video is 2 doors down from my shop (about 200' away), and they install JL audio systems in cars. "My" walls rattle and my pictures get crooked when they tune subs. The bass is passing through a 10,000 sq ft metal building with drywall and insulated interior walls, into my metal building also with drywall and insulation. I'm sure there is music playing, but all I hear is BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. When it gets bad, I just trn up my 6 lascalas and 2 tht subs, and make some music of my own. :)