Wf 14 or Rb 41

JasonJCarney

i will honestly say that compete pretty well. I enjoy the type of horn on the icon w series, i think it has superb sound disperson and is a happy compromise between a reference horn and an unhorned tweeter. I find my wf-35's the more and more i listen to them to be extremely clean sounding for vocals and music. I also find the treble to be a bit higher than the old reference (since i have had them and can compare) and i believe this cleans up the sound a bit without making them sound tinny, never ever a tinny sound. I am running them in my bedroom with my hk receiver and i play from my ipod and i watch tv in 2 channel with them, All in all, its preference of sound and i think that both would perform really well, you already have a sub so that takes care of the low end issues. It's a tough call, both lines are great. The only thing the ref line has over all lines but palladium is as you know, refinement.

Where can you pick up a pair for $245, i have been contemplating buying the wb-14's for my computer? I have been running my rb=5's and they are just huge on my desk, i have managed to create a pretty versitle sweetspot with them but they are still just too big.

Also, if you are going to be running 3 identitcal speakers you willhave to buy them separately or buy an extra pair, as far as the wb-14's are concerned they come in pairs from newegg but you could probably get the rb-41 ii's separately. Why not the matching center, in either case they are small?

Where can you pick up a pair for $245, i have been contemplating buying the wb-14's for my computer? I have been running my rb=5's and they are just huge on my desk, i have managed to create a pretty versitle sweetspot with them but they are still just too big.

newegg.com is running a 24 hour promo (I got the e-mail at 0300 CST) on the Icon W line-up. I ran a quick query and a pair of WB-14s is selling for $245.00 with promo code EMCJJKF28. The same code will get you the WC-24 for $210.00.

I have to agree with Sub's assessment above. I am using the WB-14s as R/L surrounds and the WC-24 as a center. I have not heard the Reference BS, but do own a couple of pairs of Reference towers. I would do the center channel for either because the drivers (as well as width/depth) are all the same and because it will be easier to sell the 2 BS and a center should you ever upgrade. The real wood veneer on the Icon Ws is quite impressive and would likely make a better WAF system. Sound-wise, they do sound different and I prefer the Reference for movies and the Icon Ws for music. Either will perform well in the casual double-duty system you are considering.

I have to agree with Sub's assessment above. I am using the WB-14s as R/L surrounds and the WC-24 as a center. I have not heard the Reference BS, but do own a couple of pairs of Reference towers. I would do the center channel for either because the drivers (as well as width/depth) are all the same and because it will be easier to sell the 2 BS and a center should you ever upgrade. The real wood veneer on the Icon Ws is quite impressive and would likely make a better WAF system. Sound-wise, they do sound different and I prefer the Reference for movies and the Icon Ws for music. Either will perform well in the casual double-duty system you are considering.

It's funny to read your opinion on a dedicated center channel. I agree that the center channel is a quality piece and cannot be summarily tossed aside just cause it isn't the "exact" same as the sides and therefor must be inferior. I run an rc64 at center and will never go to an rf7 in place of it. However I would like to try 3 identical speakers across the front just out of curiosity mostly. Plus they will be on a cabinet under the tv. I would prefer the setup to look uniform across the front.

You have the towers right subxero? In comparing the RF to the icon I guess I don't understand which line is supposed to be high end. The RF towers are significantly more expensive than the icon. But the icon bookshelf's 4.5 inch driver retails for $599 vs the Rb 41 at $299. Can u shed any light before I buy 3 pairs? Thx

The Icon W line uses real wood veneer and has 10 coats of poly on them, this is part of the high retail price in my opinion. Its also the marketing behind it to make them more appealing, slimmer cabinets and smaller footprint and more of an attractive design, possibly for WAF. I never ever saw the value in them at full retail, i thought they were haneously over priced for the performance you received from them and i still believe that after having them and testing them out. The prices they are listed for on newegg are much more doable and i find their sale prices to be dead on for value/performance, possibly a bit more because of the veneer quality. The reference line is just that, reference for klipsch, their high end line before jumping off a cliff into palladiums. The reference series, in my experience hasnt disappointed me. I never experienced port turbulence issues messing with the bass sounds at any volumes aside from the drivers distorting from pushing them beyond their capabilities. I also have found them to be clean and clear with great stage presence. They are extremely versatile too. There are some exceptions as always with performance, some models just didnt behave like i wanted them to like an rc-35 i had, it was very muffly at lower volumes and semi chesty and at higher volumes was fine. I havent experienced this with any other centers, well, i guess the rc-7 but i have noticed that i have had to always change my center crossover higher than its low end listed by klipsch to keep it sounding clean and clear. Reference speakers also have a more directed sound so being in a sweet spot or setting them up to have a good soundstage in multiple positions is important especially with the RF-7's, the Icon W series doesnt appears to suffer this downside like the reference series does due to horn differences.

i like the espresso far more than the cabernet. Dont get me wrong, i love woodtsins with red tints to them but the cabernet is too too red for my liking. I find the espresso to be more classy looking and it works better with furntiure i have and will have in the future. They have a classy speaker look but can fit in a modern setting too

i have noticed that i have had to always change my center crossover higher than its low end listed by klipsch to keep it sounding clean and clear.

FWIW, the RC-7 is rated for extension down to 45Hz, but quasi-anechoic measurements show it being 3dB down at 69Hz and 6dB down at 58Hz. Even accounting for placement in a room, I wouldn't expect it to meet the 45Hz spec. Conversely, a RB-75 measured as a part of the system managed -3dB at 49Hz quasi-anechoic and is rated for the same 45Hz. That's more like it.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/klipsch-reference-rb-75-ht-labs-measures

i hate myself once again, the deal was just too good to pass up, i got a pair of WB-14 and a WC-24 in espresso. I hate myself but i am happy. I wish i coulda spread the purchases out a bit but the deal was good again and well, i wanted to get it while the getting was good. I cant use the center right now so itll just sit, ill test it and store it in the box, ill use it one day as i keep collecting gear. I will be on thehunt for a 5 channel rotel receiver i think but we shall see. the wb-14's will go on my computer woot! eventually if i do set it all up as a 5.0 or 5.1 i can just find new computer speakers or something haha.

lol.... well that post of yours just made Newegg some cash. I was 99% leaning towards the icon's anyway but your purchase sealed the deal. It's nice to see someone that has experience with the RF series and the icon series making another icon purchase. I grabbed 3 pairs of the 14's. I'll be using 3 across the front in my livingroom and 3 under my TV in the bedroom. Although I don't actually have a receiver for the bedroom yet so 3 of them will go in storage for now.

I listened to a pair of Polk Monitor 40's today in the livingroom. I was running a single rc-3 before the polks. That pretty much sealed the fate of the polk's. They were really disappointing. I had a thought of saving some money and running 3 polk monitor 30's but not anymore. Sometimes you get what you pay for I guess. So.... I'll of course give my review and post some pics. I'll be running them with an Onkyo TX NR509. The sub is next... but for now ill run one of my dsp-3100's in there as I need soemthing small.

i took about 2 hours to actually hit the send button before deciding. What sealed my fate was the fact that i had rf-10's before, i knew they had a semi bassless sound and they were kind of on the low end of treble (i suppose this is the best way ti describe it). The tonal match has to be there so i am hoping that despite the basslessness it will be just like my 35's. The Icon W's have really attracted me to their wide disperson, brightness and clarity despite some of the wf-35's uddy bass (depening on crossover and source of course) and their versatility most of all.

I have always tried to be open minded and unbiased with my reviews. I try to explain things to the best of my ability and if anything in terms that people can understand. It is hard to compare speaker becuase every single one is so individual despite brand and proprietary technology. The Icon W series caught me from the very beginning as did the reference series, they are both uniqe in their own ways and overall the reference series is superior. The Icon W series is superior in dispersion and cabinet quality but lacks refinement in bass quality. This overall isnt horrible because in most cases you can adjust the low end crossover; even if you cant, there is some change you can do to make them work and its worth it. I said it once and ill say it again, when the Icon W series goes on sale on newegg, that isn their value price and are worth purchasing, when you purchase more than that or full retail, you are purchasing fluff and more or less are just paying for the cabinet and the tech it took to develop a wide dispersion horn.

I am very interested in reading your review of the WB -14's compared to the polks, rfc-3 and your rf-7 setup. I can say that the WF-35's didnt match well with my RC-7. just a different sounf, it'll be intersting to see how you feel it compares to your 2 centers. I am also very interested in seeing how you like having an exact match set for your front soundstage being these small bookshelfs.

Sometimes you do get what you pay for and sometimes you dont. Sound preference is such a particular thing. Our ears can be so sensitive that a slight difference in sound can make or break a particular model or even a brand.

BRING ON THE REVIEW!!!!! i have an estimated 1 day delivery, is hould receive them monday or tusday since they ship from edison NJ for me and im in river edge which is about 40 mins away. We shall reconvene!!

I also received the 1 day shipping estimate to massachusetts. Although Im guessing monday or tuesday. Im waiting on my onkyo to come in as well so the speakers dont do me alot of good until the receiver arrives. The last 2 days I spent getting 3 TV's mounted on walls and running cable through walls. 1 was in the new attic playroom and has my promedia's hooked up now. The other 2 will have the wf 14's. Yeah I'll write up the review of course. I went with expresso because in the end the cabernet seemed a little too red for my liking. Although I wish I could have seen them in person.

How much power do you plan to send them? Seems they can only take 40 watts so they should be easy to power. Do you run a sub with your PC or just the bookshelves?

i have my rotel hooked up to my computer right now which is 100 watts a channel. I dont plan to be bumpin them too loud because it is near field listening. Eventually i will be running a sub to them, probably nothing huge but something with a rear port so the sound travels up the rear wall and creates a more enveloping bass.