Wf 14 or Rb 41

JasonJCarney

ok so the pictures kinda blow but here they are. My initial thoughts on these speakers are mixed. Klipsch advertises these as real wood veneer. Now im not saying the veneer isnt real wood.... but I am saying is that it looks and feels like plastic. My RF 7ii's have a real wood veneer and it actually feel like and looks like wood. There are no seams on the WF 14's just rounded edges that appear to be from a mould. I do like the grill and the manner in which they attach. Pretty slick. The expresso is very dark. As you can see from the crappy photo's they look black. So dark in fact that unless you are in full light they appear black. Not sure if I would have liked the Cabernet any more but those are my impressions. The sound was very clear and crisp. Hard to compare to RF line as I have only used an RC-3 in that room and it was not for very long and with a different amp. Of course they lack any real bass (expected) but when I set up the 3100 they managed to get the sound where I wanted it to go. Maybe they will change a bit after break in as well.

Its tough to review these since I mostly listen to the RF7ii's. There is just no "wow" moment liek when I first hooked up the RC64ii or the rf7ii's. They sound better than the TV speakers for sure and the ipod sounds great once the sub was hooked up. Im certain these speakers are not worth $599 a set. $245? Maybe, but more listening is needed.

Here is the 14's and the Onkyo 509 upon delivery

1320796890.jpg

Before I had 2 polk 40's in stereo. Kinda crappy sounding

1320796911.jpg

After (sorry for the quality of the pictures)

1320797020.jpg

1320796985.jpg

1320796954.jpg

I was able to plaxce the dsp 3100 behind the cabinet.

Now im not saying the veneer isnt real wood.... but I am saying is that it looks and feels like plastic.

That's REALLY high end veneer. You've just never seen it. It's sanded and restained like 9 times to get that finish.

There is just no "wow" moment liek when I first hooked up the RC64ii or the rf7ii's. Perhaps I was expecting too much for the price.

I wouldn't expect a "wow" moment with these speakers, espescially after RF-7 IIs/RC-64 II, etc. In fact, I wouldn't expect a wow moment with any $125.00 NIB speaker.

One last comment, and don't take this the wrong way because I know your set-up is for casual use, but you will not get good sound from any speaker with that set-up. Your speakers are too close together and unless you plan on using them for near-field, i.e. within two foot of the front of the speakers, they will never sound better than computer speakers do from 2 cubicles over. In my casual set-up using WB-14s for rears, WC-24 for center, and Polk Mini-Monitors as mains, I have the 14s spaced 13 foot apart. I have set them up as stereo speakers and they are capable of having very good stereo imaging relative to their size. I definately agree that there is no bass which is why I elected not to use them as R/L front speakers.

I agree that I won't get the "best" sound from the current placement. However it sounds pretty good now and with windows on both sides of my TV they are staying put. As for the "wow" factor I also agree. I certainly wasn't expecting them be compare to my RC64. I think they are what I thought they would be as far as TV and music go so Im not disappointed.

The veneer, high end or not, is not to my liking. I like items made from wood to actually feel and look like wood. Not be sanded so fine that they look like plastic. It reminds me of the kind of wood you would find in your car. Just wasn't expecting that kind of finish. I was expecting it to be more like my RF 7ii's or RC 64ii. Im just giving my honest opion here incase someone is considering them and is expecting a finish similar to that of the rf7 or rf63...... the finish feels and looks like plastic. Im not saying it's crap....it's just not for me.

The whole idea of their finish is to look, feel and be furniture grade. The type of veneer they use and how it was cut along with the stain can give it a sem-fake appearence. Not knowing it, at first glance i would assume it was fake as well. I like it, i think its smoothe and more modern looking, but hey, we all have our own opinions.

I think your placement is ok, not the best but ok. Of what i have heard of them when i played them last night in my bedroom, i had them about 6 feet apart and i thought that was a good distance for their size and soundstage production. I will give klipsch props on the broad soundstage and off axis response they have, i think they demolish the rb-10 in sonic clarity and size of sound. I suppose i like higher treble sound, i tend to up all of my speakers justa small bit except for the icon w's.

Of my short listening experience at my computer, i can tell that these are going to be a great fit for my near field use, i just have to angle the speakers upward a bit.

I agree, these dont have that WOW factor but i wouldnt expect that from such small monitors or even the matching floorstanders. There is nothing like a full fledged floor standing speaker with a full full-range capability. This is why i like the rf-5 so much, it to me is the definition of full range floorstander and is my WOW factor.

The veneer, high end or not, is not to my liking. I like items made from wood to actually feel and look like wood. Not be sanded so fine that they look like plastic. It reminds me of the kind of wood you would find in your car. Just wasn't expecting that kind of finish. I was expecting it to be more like my RF 7ii's or RC 64ii. Im just giving my honest opion here incase someone is considering them and is expecting a finish similar to that of the rf7 or rf63...... the finish feels and looks like plastic. Im not saying it's crap....it's just not for me.

No issues with your veneer preference. The comparison to car veneer is quite accurate, in fact, when I first got the 35s I compared them to a BMW in look and sound. Refined, sophisticated and solid luxury and performance. To contrast, I called my RF-82s Corvette like with the aggressive look, nice, yet vinyl veneer, and with all of the money going into the edge of your seat sound.