Can i use the bi amp feature

sully141

I have the new samsung reciever and it is 7.2 channel, 120 w at 4 ohms and it has the bi amp feature. I was wondering if klipsch vf 35 towers can handle 120 w at 4 ohm, for the low and high feature for bi amp. or period if the towers alone can handle 120w at 4 ohms. I know the speakers are rated 160w rms at 8 ohm.

in most situations more power is safer than too little power. it is distorting and clipping amplifiers which do the most damage to any speaker. That does not mean that you cannot blow up a speaker if you drive it past the point where it is obviously not happy with the level. Once you hear your speaker distorting simply turn it down and make a not of the playback level. hope this helps best regards moray james.

The VF 35 cut sheet shows 8 ohms nominal impedance, 100w RMS/ 400w peak. The ohms level may chang depending of what frequency the speaker is producing. What I am trying to say is that the ohm level is not constant. Get a good sub and not over push your speakers. Are you in the United States? I ask this because if you are the 8 ohm setting will more likely apply to your speaker operation.

in most situations more power is safer than too little power. it is distorting and clipping amplifiers which do the most damage to any speaker. That does not mean that you cannot blow up a speaker if you drive it past the point where it is obviously not happy with the level. Once you hear your speaker distorting simply turn it down and make a not of the playback level. hope this helps best regards moray james.

In the situation of 120W @ 4 ohms, that means it is ~60W when put into 8 ohm speakers. I think moray james was saying that the receiver may be underpowering your speakers, so you want to be careful. You can, of course, use the bi-amp feature if you want to, and that may help a little, but where both outputs of the reciever are likely running from the same unit, the difference may not be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help, I found out I was burning up the receiver because the speakers wanted more power and the receiver was trying to provide it. So i went out and got a Onkyo 609. which is a 100 w at 8 ohms, so now i'm debating on bi-amping the vf 35's, I just don't know if the speakers can handle a 100w bi amped. I know the woofers can but what about the horn.