Need a cure

NOZ

Boa,

No 2 channel SAD, but I just tried the multi-channel disc again. This time I went into the channel balance and increased the sub level. Oh yea, SVS shes-a-kickin!Biggrin.gif So LFE output level to sub via ext 5.1 mode lower than in the digital domain due the cross points? Anyway good results & I retract my previous statement.

Thanks for the insight!!!

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

wes, yea bass mgmt isn't really as necessary w/ 5.1 channel disks (especially if they're mixed right) as w/ 2.0-channel cause the .1 channel will always give the sub output it contains to the sub.

that's really what bass mgmt is best for - the 2.0 channel stuff that doesn't have sub output but the bass mgmt will digitally direct the low bass below a certain

crossover point (usually fixed around 80hz unless adjustable) to in essence digitally create sub output.

or to a lesser degree w/ 5.1 some may prefer that the low bass in the speakers be instead sent to the sub (or also to the sub). but the .1 is never affected by bass mgmt in most cases - whatever is in the .1 channel goes

to the sub only as long as u have a sub & of course select sub:yes.

on that link above from www.theperfectvision.com on page 35 of their selected players very few have bass mgmt for dvd-audio or sacd. that's why outlaw really came out w/ that icbm but then it seems they found that it could also be used between a preamp (or preamp section) & amp (power ins).

looks like your player is one of the lucky few that have bass mgmt, though i have no idea what crossover point(s) it uses. may say somewhere in the manual.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Hmmm, what to think... Boa's article in The Perfect Vision indicates YES to SACD bass management in the feature matrix for this Sony. But SS's "test" is inconclusive.

SS, if I understand you right, you have speakers set to large, and sub yes. You just boosted the channel level for the sub (.1) channel (correct?), which caused you to exclaim "SVS shes-a-kickin" (good avoidance of techo-babble, BTW Smile.gif).

However, I'm not sure that indicates that the Sony is capable of rerouting bass from the main channels to the sub channel.

It would be interesting to set the speakers all to small (in the Sony) and then play some bass heavy tracks off a SACD to see if that bass gets routed to the sub channel.

Doug

------------------

My System

Hey guys,

I got my new RF-7's yesterday, and guess what,no more cd skipping. I find them a little inferior to the La scalas in stereo mode, but more accurate in TH mode, their great. Next week I get the RC-7's and RS-7's can't wait...hehe!!

Sean

Doug,

Already had the speakers set to small & sub "yes". But when switching to SACD multi-channel play & Ext 5.1 mode, the level of bass generated by the SVS was substantially lower than than multi-channel mode via digital outs to receiver. After discussion yesterday, I decided to increase sub volume level in channel balance. Doing so increased the SVS' bass output during multi-channel SACD play. Hence, my exclamation "SVS shes-a-kickin!". My summation is that bass is being routed via .1 with speaks small & sub yes.

Prior to yesterday, I had only used the unit to watch three movies and test that it actually played the sample disc. That's why I hadn't posted any significant comments.

NOZ, Congrats on your new speakers! Guess you can hold off on that player upgrade.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

hey you sacd guys!! NO LFE OUT on 2-ch SACD when hooked into 5.1 input of my receiver. didn't even turn on my rsw-15(auto-detect).

multi-ch sacd...LOW output to sub. outlaw icbm seems to be the popular solution.

alot of posts on this subject,on this bb and others,gotta go another round w/my sacd-dvd player.

btw-the dvpns900v is one of the nicest dvd players i've seen in a while: a couple of pounds heavier than similarly-sized dvd players,multi-ch SACD,progressive scan,display/video OFF option to maximize audio performance.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

thanks wes. that's just in line w/ the lfe (.1) specs.

most mixers don't put anything above that in the .1 channel if they're following recommended specs.

what bass mgmt does is direct low bass (as opposed to .1 bass) from channels set small to the sub. hard to tell w/ a 5.1 disk cause they already put bass in the .1 channel. like av says if you play a 2.0 sacd disk &

get no sub output w/ fronts or other channels set small, then there's no bass mgmt being done.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

• 3 weeks later...

i just did a search for isolation feet & this is the only one that popped up. see this is also the thread where we got on wes's nerves about bass mgmt. sorry wes. Wink.gifSmile.gif

anybody use audioquest sorbo-gel like the regulars or the big feet? or is there any lower priced equivalent?

just saw both their offerings here while browsing the audioadvisor catalog in my fav reading room. Biggrin.gif

thanks.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Ok here is my 0.03 (hey I live in TX so BACK OFF :-)). I have a HK FL8350 and I love it. It has great DAC's (Burr Brown) and a digital out. They have a new version and you can pick up the older re-firb'd models from their web site too.

If you haven't read my rant in the DVD and Music section about copy protected CD's I would be very very careful about using a DVD player as your only source for playing CD's. Basically any copy protected CD that will not play in a PC will also not play in a DVD player (so far). So while copy protection may never take hold here in the US if you enjoy listening to import recordings this should be a consideration.

Oh even with the Cornwalls and 3 SVS's cranking out mega dB's I have never had the HK skip Smile.gif

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page