Need a cure

NOZ

Has anyone got a cure for CD's skipping at loud volumes other than the rediculous way that I am doing now. Thats with a big pillow underneath the CD changer.

I know it sounds stupid, but it works. Every other thing I have tried doesn't.

Sounds like you need to isolate the unit from vibration. You can buy a Vibration Isolation Mat or feet to set the unit on, or I've heard a homemade platform set on tennis balls works too. Check out the Audio Advisor link below to get an idea of what's available. http://www.audioadvisor.com/default.asp

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Guy's I've tried everything, little sponges underneath the Cd players footings, putting it in the next room, when you crank the La scalas with the velodyne sub it will skip. I've skipped a Cd two songs. No pad is going to protect it. Other than trying to suspend it some-how, I can't think of anoter way, without being ugly with your set-up. Maybe that's the the price we have to pay with house shaking sound...

Wes-

So far I've got them on the preamp, cd/dvd player, eq, amp and the turntable. The TT was really just a way NOT to pay Yamaha some insane price for replacement feet, the old ones were pretty cracked and crushed. The Pods look very close to the originals. I'm also using on the TT some cork bar coasters and some playing cards that both level the table AND make a good air-seal for the pods. Besides, the only downside that the maker brings up is that the pods can discolor some wood finishes, so the playing cards make a nice barrier. Vibropod makes quite a few jokes about using those AOL sign-up cd's instead of cards.cwm32.gif

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-10-2002 at 11:24 PM

quote:

Originally posted by NOZ:

I've skipped a Cd two songs.

Good Lord dude! Thats just crazy!

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

NOZ,

If you can't find a means to decouple the player, you may have to back off the bass, or look for a player less susceptible to vibrations.

Good Luck

Tom, Thanks. I'm going to check out Audio Advisor and Parts Express for the pads. Will also look at their prices on mats. The pads are a definate buy, cuz I can use them on my CD and preamp/phono stage.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

NOZ,

put some havy weight on the CD-player.

I did that ones for my pioneer DVD-player.

I put a granite plate of 20lbs on it.

Then it didn't move when I pushed on the eject button. Smile.gif

If it would stop the skipping when playing loud ...???

Are the foundations of your house still in good condition???

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

SubW: KSW-12

Maybe it's because of my crap CD player, it's one of those sony 200 disc jobs. Sorry, I got it free. And no , my sub only mixes my drinks for me... I may go buy an HK 5 disc, or any sugestions...

I want to get the HK DVD 50, anyone have it??

If so, how is it?

thanks

Sean

Sean,

I don't know a lot about the Harman Kardon DVD-50. I do see that pricing on the player is still around the $500.00 dollar range. I think there are better values out their at lesser costs, which offer more bang for your buck, considering the HK 50 cannot play DVD-Audio or SACD media. On ther other hand, if its performance is stellar, the lack of those audio formats may be of little importance to you.

However, you may want to take a courtesy look at Panasonic's DVD-RP91, Toshiba SD4700, Toshiba SD5700, Sony DVP-NC650V, and Sony DVP-NS500V. They're all regarded as very good players. The Panasonic and Toshiba's also play DVD-Audio, the two Sony's are Super Audio CD (SACD) players. I bought a Sony DVP-NC650V player, and I'm very pleased with the unit. I know the Sony's allow you to perform Bass Management functions within the players. Not sure on the others?

Happy hunting,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-15-2002 at 11:43 AM

Hi Shape - You've probably already testified about this before, but I'm feeling lazy...

I'm eyeing your Sony CD/DVD/SACD player myself (well, not yours, but one just like it at Best Buy for $230...). Wanted to confirm -- it DOES have on-board bass management?

I've been holding out for a combined DVD-A/SACD unit to drop in price (I think one of the Korean brands makes one that is in the $500s??), but I may jump on one of these...

Doug

------------------

My System

Hi Doug,

Haven't really said much about the player, because only had it about 3 weeks. For the price, it's quite good for both audio and DVD video. I actually paid about $36.00 dollars more. So your price looks even better!

The player allows you to set speakers size and distance from listening area. Has internal test tone for volume & balance adjmts. The adjustments are effective when using the 5.1 Channel Outs! Adjmts of Large/Small for Fronts, Center, Rear/Side & Sub level (-10db to +10db).

It has several Virtual Modes for rear/side speakers. This must be to add/chg ambient sounds? Not of much interest to me with full range rears. I do know that the Virtual Modes have no affect on SACD play, because of the ongoing digital out debacle.

That covers what I've gleamed from the manual and my limited use thus far.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

i've been wondering about the bass mgmt like doug asked on this & other sony sacd players. wonder if it does work for sacd material or just for dvd-video using the direct/analog outs. for some reason i'm thinking bass mgmt no on the sacd stuff (the sacd decoder doesn't allow for digital manipulation such as bass mgmt) but of course can't find anything on the sony site. so i could be wrong.

know denon's new player(s) claim to be the 1st to offer

bass mgmt for dvd-audio.

i'm still holding out for the new digital tech (firewire) & then a combo sacd/dvd-audio/hdcd player.

also dts is now doing dts 96/24 disks that can do the higher sampling rates thru the analog outs of a regular dvd-video player, even w/ 5.1 channels. however still gotta have sacd or dvd-audio to do 192/24 stuff though that's still limited to 2-channel.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

i thought my hunch was wrong. this says it definitely has bass mgmt for all 5.1 in sacd. would imagine 80hz cross for both the high & low cross. there's a great guide for many players from perfect vision at http://www.avguide.com/specialoffers/dvd.pdf?review=590 may have to print it out from the downloaded adobe file to follow the columns of the matrix included. Smile.gif

guess it depends what the manual means by can't change sound. of course if u want more flexible bass mgmt u could use like that outlaw icbm.

looks like a great value. seen it at great prices on the net. & i paid $599 for my old sony years ago. Frown.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I only have the sample disc that came with the unit. I order four SACD disc from Elusive Disc, Inc. two weeks ago, however, my shipment has not arrived. They informed me that they will re-ship, if they're still no show by friday. Will have to set aside some time to kick its tires. In the limited play of the sample disc, with full range fronts/rears and my KSW-12 is off receiver mains, bass repo is darn good. I know that I'm getting a bare minimum of output via LFE to SVS though.

Wes

<edit>boa, link worked for me.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-15-2002 at 07:30 PM