Sub Hum

dad311

Spent this weekend moving the subs around looking for the best sound. Found the sound, but now I have a hum.

Ive found the problem, just dont know the best way to fix it.

My 2nd sub is 30 feet away from the amp. If I use my cable from Monoprice, I get a hum. If I use my Monster cable with the little directional arrow, I get NO hum.

From my research, Ive found that the arrow on the Monster cable means the shield is only connected at one end (I think).

How do I make a sub cable with the shield disconnected on one end? As far as I know, a coax cable has two conductors (core and shield). If I disconnect the shield on one end, I will loose the one conductor resulting in no sound.

thx.

Did you try flipping your monoprice cable around? I think all the RCA cables I've bought from them have been shielded.

Yeah, tried that. Funny thing is the sub continues to hum when the
cable is disconnected from the processor. Its only when I disconnect the cable from the sub the hum stops. The cable should be shielded,
but now Im have doubts. Maybe its just a crappy cable and 50 foot is why to long for a crappy cable.

If I use my cable from Monoprice, I get a hum. If I use my Monster cable with the little directional arrow, I get NO hum.

From my research, Ive found that the arrow on the Monster cable means the shield is only connected at one end (I think).

I think I can help answer your Monster cable question. But first I wonder if you don't have a faulty ground connection in your monoprice cable. This break could be between a braided wire around the central wire, and a "shield" that surrounds the pin of the connector jack, if it's an RCA jack. In that case, a typical 2-wire RCA-type cable has a central axial wire that goes to the "positive" pin of an RCA jack, and a braided wire that connects to the shield around the pin:

RCA connector

In all cases, a signal requires two conductors. In the above example, one is the central wire and the other a braided "shield" wire that connects to the shield of the RCA jack. I've seen cases of terrible hum where the connection is broken between the braided wire and the shield cylinder surrounding the central pin of the connector. I'd carefully look there, unscrewing the back part of the plug if necessary. If there is a visible break, soldering will take care of the hum in my limited experience.

If you can't see a break, turn it on and jiggle the wire on each side to see if the hum abruptly comes and goes.

The Monster cable is a three-conductor cable. Two central wires carry the signal, one each for the "positive" and the "negative" signals. The 3rd conductor, a braided wire, is a shield against hum and RF, but must be connected at only ONE end. I believe Monster connects it at the outgoing, or signal-receiving, end. That's the reason for the arrows, to orient the cable in the appropriate direction and put the disconnected end at the signal input end.

Monster makes quality cables and connectors IMO.

I believe you are correct. The Sub does not hum unitl I plug the RCA cable into it (with the other end disconnected). Its acting like a antenna.

Last night I ordered a much better cable from Blue Jean Cables, I believe this will solve my issue.

Although Ive always had good luck with Monoprice cables, but Ive had two bad cables in two weeks.

Im thinking about swapping out all my Monoprice cables with DYI interconnect cables, but thats for a different post.

Oh, LarryC nice drawings! thx