My LaScalas: questions...HELP!!

OK, Folks...

I finally got my recent LaScala purchase in. They are consecutive serial numbers: 24U104, and 24U105. When were they made?

In checking them out, one has the K-55 tweeter, the other has the K-55M tweeter. Numerous splices are in the wires on each speaker between the woofer and crossover, and the mid-range drivers and the cross-over....mids are K-77V in both...original mid-horn lenses...crossover networks are AA in both. BUT, neither has original woofers in them...both now have PEAVEY BLACK WIDOW woofers. These woofers have a massive aluminum alloy superstructure, and barely fit inside the doghouses!

Now, if these woofers are compatible in performance to the original woofers, I will leave them there, but if they aren't compatible in performance, then I desire to change back to the original woofers. Can anybody out there tell me if these are better left in the cabinets, or would I be better off replacing them with the original type? If I leave them in the cabinets, do I need to do anything to the crossovers?

I appreciate any response.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

HDBR,

k77 and K77M are the tweeters, K55V mids cwm1.gif

It was the same when I bought my LaScalas; they didn't have original woofers either, they had TESLA beasts with massive alnico magnets and alu-basket. Beautiful things! After a while I decided to replace them with Electro Voice woofers I had at home; there was a slight improvement. Those EV woofers looked still more impressive...

BUT i finally swapped them for a pair of Klipsch K33E and, while it's true they don't look impressive at all (and cost NEW what I paid for a pair of second-hand EV...), they work FAR FAR better in a la scala.

Not only bass response has extended a lot, but midrange is also far smoother.

The answer is: i'm not familiar with Peavey woofers, but you won't get LaScala performance without K33E woofers. They were made for the purpose... you'll miss a lot if you keep your existing woofers IMHO....

You should also try to find a second K77M ; it is better than the K77 and it is critical to have the same tweeter on both Scalas since K77M is louder than K77, and extends higher in frequency.

Have fun! cwm30.gif

Frans

HDBR,

As you can probably tell, the Black Widow is definetly not a cheap driver, they are very rugged and can reach incredible volume levels.

When I was in highschool, the band used to play outside during football games. They had an electric bass that played through a Peavey cab with BW drivers- 1 18" and 2 10" units. That thing could be heard over 2-300 fans plus the football players. Heck, it could be heard blocks away.

It's worthwhile giving it them a shot, seeing what you think of them. Probably depends on what type of music you plan on listening to with the LaScalas. LaScalas have always had a weak bottom end, perhaps the previous owner subbed the Peavey drivers to improve it. Might be worthwhile measuring them, see if they go lower, they certainly will get louder.

Good luck and keep us up to speed. If you do take them out, put a reply in here about them. I'm sure somebody could find a home for them.

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Pioneer turntable with Audio Technica cartridge