Free ap - McIntosh iPhone/iPad media player

mustang guy

That is pretty cool. I figured I'd download it and check it out. Sweet that it works for both the iPad and the iPhone/iPod Touch.

However, I got some serious issues with it.

First, on the iPhone, it will only let me select by Artist and then Song. There is no way to select by Album. That is a major issue for me as I tend to listen by the album and listen to them in thier entirety. Also the album art did not seem to appear on the iPhone version. In fact, it does not even list what album a selected track came from (even though I have that information in the metatags of the song file) I guess I could get around it by creating a playlist of the album, but why when the facilities are already there to allow playing by the album as part of iOS itself. The app should properly allow the user to select by and listen to albums in correct track order (not in alphabetical order) without out resorting to playlist hacks.

EDIT: I guess I mis-spoke about not diplaying the album art/title on the iPhone. Saw there was a "More" with a downward arrow. Click that and it showed the album art and title the currently playing track came from. Would be nice if at least it displayed the song/album/artist on the main page and then show the album art and more info via the "more" button. Still a huge issue with not being able to select by album and playing the tracks in correct track order, a a lot of what I listen to are very specifically arranged and must be played in correct track order to get the proper listening experience (many 'concept' albums, for example).

On the iPad, at least you can select by album, but it lists the songs from the album in alphabetical order, when I think they should be listed in track order (with track # displayed along side the title). Did whoever that created this think that nobody ever listens to albums anymore and thinks that people only listen to single songs 'al-a-carte' anymore?

Also, ran into some serious flakyness with regards to play/pausing. On the iPad, it would not even stop playing the music even when I pressed the "play/pause" button. I had to exit out of the app via the "home" button and go into the regular built-in "music" app and stop playback that way. On the iPhone, it works better, but there is a lag between playing and pausing.

Admittedly, I really do like that 'McIntosh" look through, with the clean black background and the green lettering with the blue VU meters. Does match the look of thier audio gear quite nicely. I just with the interface itself was a bit better. Still, for something free, you really cannot complain to much, but it certainly could be much better and I hope they do come out with updates, especially to address the issue with selecting by album. It would be cool to use this to play back the music instead of the standard built-in 'music' app - just because it really is that cool.

Nice job of putting this app through the paces SteveSurprise Happy Thanksgiving to yaBig Smile

After nearly 20 years as a software engineer I tend to get good at testing and debugging this kind of stuff. Believe me I've written enough of this stuff to know how something should work. I'd love to go in and fix this thing myself. Wonder if I can get McIntosh to commission me clean this up. :)

Happy thanksgiving as well. I am at my parents right now posting this from my iPad