Belles V's La Scala's

sootshe

I wonder if you can give me your opinion on the sound of the bass between the La Scala & the Belle. What would the difference (if any) be in the bottom end. I read in a thread here somewhere that the LS has a 10db dip in the frequency response at around 500 Hz, due to the small straight section of the bass horn. If you were crossing over at 400 Hz with ALK uni's, is this inconsequential?

Also wondering about the physical dimensions of the actual bass cabinet. I had a pair many years ago but they had a straight section in the bass horn as per attachment Belle Klipsch Plans, unlike some I found on the forum Klipsch-Belle-Plan-3-3.

Does the factory model go in a straight line from the front of the cabinet to the rear of the horn?

post-32839-13819666725086_thumb.jpg

I think it's laid out as shown in the printed, rather than the sketched, version.

The Belle and the La Scala are supposed to sound very close. The reason I got a Belle for my center is that the original La Scala sounded a bit harsh to me (but I didn't hear them A-B compared under controlled conditions). Once in the late '70s, a dealer told me "Klipsch toned the Belle down a little" ... I assume he meant the Belle midrange. When we were upgrading our Klipschorns (to a stock AK-4), we listened to nothing but the Belle for a few days, and we noticed that it never offended. Both the Belle and the La Scala have very clean bass, but both really need a subwoofer to fill in the bass below about 50 Hz (my Belle, in my room, has a little peak at about 60 Hz). Acording to the Stereophile reviewer, the La Scala II sounds very good ("A" level for a speaker with restricted bass extension), and people on the forum have said it has better bass than the I, perhaps due to the thicker wood.

Here is a photo of the naked front of KB-WO that I moved upstairs for a center.

Thanks Gary,

Looks like there's no straight section on the return fold of the horn. The ones I used to have many years ago were not factory.....looks like someone made them using a LS as a starting point.

Has anyone compared these two bass bins side by side.....I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has compared the two.

Thanks,

John

The straight section in a LaScala is there so that a 15" woofer can fit in the dog house. The Belle is wider, so the triangle dog house shape allows a 15" woofer to fit with no problem. The Belle has a better mid bass sound.

Has anyone compared these two bass bins side by side.

A dealer here had a Klipsch room back in the late 70's . The complete Klipsch consumer line up at the time , K horns in the corners , then Belles , LaScalas , Cornwalls , and Heresys . My buddy was auditioning LaScalas but I liked the sound of the Belles when comparing the 2 . To me the Belles had a smoother sound , somewhat less in your face . When I heard the difference in price it was a no brainer why buddy bought the LaScalas though .

The straight section in a LaScala is there so that a 15" woofer can fit in the dog house. The Belle is wider, so the triangle dog house shape allows a 15" woofer to fit with no problem. The Belle has a better mid bass sound.

Thanks Speakerfritz,

This was my gut feeling after researching the Belle.....should be better in the mid bass & also smoother sounding.

I guess I'll have to put a set together & try them side by side & see which I prefer. That can be my next project, as at the moment I'm working on a set of tractrix timber horns which will be fitted with GPA 390 drivers.....should be interesting.

Thanks for the opinion on the sound difference....just what I was looking for,

John