Reference Bookshelf vs. Icon Floor for rears -- Please Help

tdg

Hi All,

Just joined and was hoping to get a little help. I am trying to put together a good 7.1 home theater setup with 1500-2000. I went ahead and went after the best buy deal on the icon's just due to the cost factor. I bought the KF-26 since the KF-28's were sold out. Then the KF-28's came back so I picked them up as well.

KF-28 pair $450, KF-26 pair $350

I then picked up the RW-12d from newegg for $300 since the price seems fantastic to me and icon was more.

Now I have a dilemma,what would be better to use for rears? newegg has wb-14's for $200 (seems too small), RB-51's I found for 318, or I can just keep the KF-26's and avoid a trip to bestbuy for $350.

The plan for the center is probably going to be RC-62 or RC-52 depending on what I can find on ebay. RS-42 is the most likely for surrounds, but I might just go 5.1 for a while if those are too small.

If you wondering why I'm combining lines, it's more due to cost and later I can upgrade where needed. Didn't think I could really go wrong with the price at best buy on the icons, but I'd like to go reference where I can.

Advice would be extremely useful. For the time being I am running a Onkyo HT-R550 which I'll upgrade later.

Thanks for your time. Also room is fairly large. probably 18x30 or so

as always, the best timbre match and cohesive sound will be found by matching speakers that are meant to go together. I would keep the icon towers you have now tbh. Also keep in mind resale of speakers, If you are buying used anyways, keep an eye out for reference setups as a whole. You are going to take some what of a hit on resale but with black friday sales, you could actually break par on resale...possibly but dont bank on it.

Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it. Meant RW-12d subwoofer.

I mainly just want to maybe get a little help with deciding what's best.

For a center should I go 6"? also what should I do for a surround? Any input is greatly appreciated. I started research two days ago, but have a lot of experience with car audio and have always loved the way klipsch sounded, but never owned.

sorry about that everyone.

I have:

2 - KF-28

2 - KF-26 (going back unless they will serve me better than a standard bookshelf speaker)

1 - RW-12d

Needs:

Center and surrounds and a decision on if I should keep the KF-26 for rears.

Thanks for the help.

to be quite frank, your approach is a bit erratic. I would have gone for two towers and a center first. I would have bought the reference straight off the bat and saved and bought the surrounds and sub/s at a later date. Your front soundstage is so incredibly important. That would have been my method. If i was looking for a hold me over speaker purchase, i would have bought used and i wouldnt have over paid so i could breakeven on resale.

You say your goal is to own a reference system, get an rc-62 if you can as a center. That way you could match rf-52. rf-62 and rf-82's. The best value for performance is in the 82's IMO. Klipsch speakers with 8's are the best bang for the buck in the industry IMO. They perform so well and have such a strong presence that they are perfect for music and movies alike.

If you want great performing speakers, buy used. I got a pair of RF-3 II's for $250. They are the older version of the RF-82's. They were fantastic.

You can hook up two subs with a 7.1 reciever via a Y-connector. Two identical subs work best in the front L/R section of the room. Subs in other locations take more work to avoid phase problems. I would also buy one entire Klipsch series. Keep you KF 26 and get KS 14's for surrounds.

Yes, you can have to subs on a 7.1avr. Just run a Y-connector from your receiver and run two rca lines, one to each sub. The sub's are powered, so they will not affect the avr's output. Stick with one series of speakers. Keep the KF 26 and later get the KS 14's for surrounds.

Thanks Odyssey that helps. Do you think the RC-62 is a good match? is the RC-52 too small? No budget for the high end ones.

The KC-25 is voice matched for the current speakers you have. As those are currently on backorder, you can get by with this one on Ebay for $65 buy it now. It is a close match to the KC-25. KF-26's would be your surrounds, and you would have a timbre matched 5.2 system.

Two subs will definitely be flatter sounding, and you will get a 6db boost from having a second one. A Y-adapter will work fine as mentioned earlier.

The Reference system is better, but I think the KF/KC system will sound great. I don't know if I would throw it all away for the sake of a better system before you actually set this 5.2 up.

edit: You could move the KH-26's to the rear, and buy some KS-14's for surrounds. They are bi-pole, so they would be more suitable for sides than full sizes floor speakers like the KF-26. Then you would have a killer 7.2 system.

You have all given me so much to think about. You all are great. Quick question if I decide to just go for the reference line. Is the Reference line that much better than the icon?

I see a lot of RF-82 II for about 960 shipped on ebay and wondering if I'm better off with something like that over the kf-28's and kf-26's. Still 100bucks more than the 4 speakers together. Also I found a set of RF-83's for 1100 locally.

I want it to sound good, but I don't want to blow my budget right now.

TBH, i havent heard the new Icon line for BB so i couldnt tell you. I have own some synergy's which are on load to my sister and they are good sounding but i feel that the reference line has a level of refinement that they lack. I can even say that about the ICON W line i have. They sound open, and are great for music and are crisp but they lack refinement in the low extension and tend to get a bit muddy. Of all of the reference i have owned, none of them have ever been muddy in the low end.

You have made it clear that the reference series is something that you are seeking to have. I can honestly say that you wouldnt be disappointed. Ignorance is bliss when it comes to speakers because most people cant really A/B compare speakers that well, even in bestbuy. You can get a general feel for the sound of speakers but the true test comes when you get home. I have been piecing together an ICON W setup now because the price is right for their performance. I got the towers for about 60% off their original msrp as well as the other components. Would i make this my end all system? No. If i had to have one music system, it would be what i have now or i would pick RF-5's and i would be a happy camper.

I keep comingback to klipsch time and time again because they are a great value/performance, they are clean, clear and crisp and rival all of the other high end manufacturers IMO. I do like their sonic signature as well as many others like Energy, Mirage, B&W, Paradigm etc.

You have all given me so much to think about. You all are great. Quick question if I decide to just go for the reference line. Is the Reference line that much better than the icon?

I see a lot of RF-82 II for about 960 shipped on ebay and wondering if I'm better off with something like that over the kf-28's and kf-26's. Still 100bucks more than the 4 speakers together. Also I found a set of RF-83's for 1100 locally.

I want it to sound good, but I don't want to blow my budget right now.

I don't have any experience with the Icons outside of BB (which isn't a great place to listen) but the Reference line should be a clear and obvious winner. That's not to say there is anything wrong with the Icon's, but they are built for the budget concious which includes cheaper componenets (but also trickle-down R&D). Are the RF-82s better for the money? Well they are a great sound per dollar investment, but only you can decide.

The RF-83s are a whole new league. They are gigantic speakers compared to the already large RF-82s. They have deeper bass, crisper highs, and real wood veneer. They are American made fire-breathing dragons!!! $1100.00 is a little on the high side of market value. For that price they need to be in mint condition. No blemishes, gently used, smoke-free/pet-free home with both sets of feet, no marks on the woofers or grills, original boxes, and perhaps sales receipt. $800-900.00 would be more in-line with what I would want to pay, but again, that is dependent on you.

The WF speakers are more in the league with the Reference speakers. That topic has come up before here. The price on the wf-34's is great! As I recall, the 34 doesn't have quite the low extension of the big Icons, but the sub would more than make up for that if you go the WF route.

The disadvantage of the WF is the available center channel options. There is only 1. There are 4 Reference centers available.