heresy and promedia 2.1 sub?

davestef

so i decided against getting the cornwalls cause i feel like theyd take over my living room, which i do share with my family since i dont have my own place. plus my parents were pissed when they heard i was gonna shell out $600-700 for the cornwalls. which leads me too the heresys, which are about the same size as my current speakers. my sound system is a lil ghetto in that i have my promedia 2.1 sub plugged into my pioneer tube amps headphone jack (not really sure how else subwoofers connect to amps). i just dont connect any speakers to it. and then i have the regular 3way speakers connected to the outputs in the back. do you think the promedia sub would sound good with the heresy? im not really familiar with how crossovers work. everyone says heresys lack bass and they talk about what subs to match them up with, but no one ever talks about the promedia. probably cause its a computer speaker.

IMO, you should buy another sub. I have two promedia systems. I also have Heresy's. If you want a new sub, on weekends Newegg sells the RW12d for as little as $299 with free shipping. During the week it is $499. Unless you buy used, it is the most sub you can buy in the $300 range. If you want used, place a WTB (want to buy) ad in the garage sale area of this forum. Consider shipping and tell folks where you are located.

You hook to the sub using regular speaker wire from the amp to the sub high level inputs. You then connect the Heresy's from the sub high level outputs. This has no effect on the sound getting to the Heresy's, as it is a simple pass through.

A nice set of Heresy's and a sub is going to cost in the $600-650 range. Keep that in mind, as that is the price the Cornwalls were going to be. Newegg has a little 10" Polk sub which is beautiful, but I'm not sure it is a good match for the heresy. I have one, and it is a little anemic.

Lastly, you might want to listen to the Heresy's before adding a sub. I don't use one with mine, and I am content. I listen to music only with them, though.

i guess, my idea was to save the extra $400 or so that i wouldnt have to spend if i got the heresys vs the cornwalls, since i already have a sub. rather than buy a sub and the heresy, which in that case id rather get the cornwalls. i just dont know if the promedia would make the heresys sound better or worse.

Get a pair of Fortes or Quartets and your problem is solved. Plenty of bass with a sweet midrange and detailed highs. You should have no problem staying within your budget. Keep the promedia sub where it belongs, with the promedia system.

Bill

I have a pair of Heresy II with a used($175.000) Klipsch Synergy Sub 12 300/650 watt Bash and they sound Great in the bedroom where larger size

speakers won't do. I purchased several of my Sub 12 used and they match up Great on Heresy and Cornwalls.... in small to normal size rooms.

The bash amps last for years and are not expensive to have repaired. I have the Pro Media 2.1 on my PC

and the sub will be too small when you turn up the volume on the Heresy ( Great mid and highs) for a small speaker.

Shame about the room and Cornwalls.... but the Heresy and a nice 12" sub and they get really close to a Cornwall alone.

Louis

Heresys have 12 inch woofers, if you boost the bass you will be surprised how much they can pump out.

Are you planning on buying new Heresys? or snapping up used?

As was suggested, if you still need more base snap up a used Synergy sub 12 450W.

You can always buy some used La Scalas and get glass tops for them so mom can put the lamps and pictures on them, no plants.

Here is a picture of mine in the living room 17 x14 approx.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000EI3TZ6/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

The 15 inch woofers will rock your world when you get em going.