Newbie trying to put together his 1st surround sound system....

yavozerb

Currently when I go to tv mode the onkyo remote only powers up my tv and not the reciever. Is there a different mode I need to set for an automatic start of my receiver?Also, I currently have my wires (green, blue, red, yellow) from my cablebox to my tv and havemy hdmi from my reciver to the cable box. Should I have this wired differently in your opinion? thanks for your help

• Moderators

I currently have my wires (green, blue, red, yellow) from my cablebox to my tv and havemy hdmi from my reciver to the cable box. Should I have this wired differently in your opinion? thanks for your help

From what I'm seeing, you have two video cables hooked up and only need to choose one.

Red, Blue, Green = Component Video (supports up to 1080i).

Yellow = Composite Video (supports 480).

Component Video is MUCH better than Composite Video

I would run the cable box into your receiver, then one cable (HDMI if you can or Component Video) from your receiver to your tv.

Currently when I go to tv mode the onkyo remote only powers up my tv and not the reciever. Is there a different mode I need to set for an automatic start of my receiver?Also, I currently have my wires (green, blue, red, yellow) from my cablebox to my tv and havemy hdmi from my reciver to the cable box. Should I have this wired differently in your opinion? thanks for your help

Ok this couldn't be easier. Do this step by step. 1. Run hdmi cable from cablebox to receiver. 2. Run hdmi from receiver to tv. When it's set up like this the onkyo will be powered on and off with your tv. I don't think this works unless your using hdmi. Not positive about that but that's my guess.

Ya, no component connections being used on my onkyo. Again, whenever I go hdmi from att uverse cablebox to cable slot on onkyo and hdmi out feed from onkyo to tv all I receive is audio feed, no video feed. Only I can get video feed is by using red, blue, green connections from tv to att uverse cablebox.

Make sure all other cables are unhooked. Only hdmi should be in use. Are the speakers hooked up to your avr? Is your avr set to correspond with the input you hooked your cablebox too? For example you hook your cable box up to the CABLE hdmi slot so you need to set your avr to "cable". Is your volume turned up? Could be a bad hdmi port too so try another input and change the input on your avr to the same. Are you sure your hdmi cables are good? How about the hdmi input on your tv? Maybe try a different port.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a problem with my ksw-10. I connect it to my onkyo and it may hit once then never again, then randomly hits really hard out of the blue ,and sometimes never at all. I have the sub setting turned on on my onkyo and still nothing. The sub is used, but I took it to a store and it seemed to function ok when I tested it. Not sure exctly where to set switches on side of sub but I do have it on auto. Any suggestions?