ALK Cornscala Crossover

Johnny's Jill

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I purchased new cross over boards from Bob Crites and I still have my orginal C/O baords that were still working, I was just worried about the 30 plus year old oil filled "caps"leaking oil like my vintage ReVox R2R did. I was thinking for trying to build a ALK on my stock boards and do one and see if I notice a difference. I must admit I am happy with the Cornwalls the way the sound now... but if the ALK sound better :-) I will look on ALK site for a parts list and see what the cost will be.

Guest David H

Last year I purchased new cross over boards from Bob Crites and I still have my orginal C/O baords that were still working, I was just worried about the 30 plus year old oil filled "caps"leaking oil like my vintage ReVox R2R did. I was thinking for trying to build a ALK on my stock boards and do one and see if I notice a difference. I must admit I am happy with the Cornwalls the way the sound now... but if the ALK sound better :-) I will look on ALK site for a parts list and see what the cost will be.

I think you will like the ALK's the univeral schematic is on his web page, the Cornscala-wall is not.

I ordered the Cornscala-wall crossovers from ALK for my speakers, simply because I would not save any $$ building them myself.

My crossovers are getting shipped tomorrow, I am more than ready for them.

Dave

Guest David H

I received and installed my Cornscala crossovers yesterday. Absolutely Fantastic...

Due to the first order woofer filter, the Cornwall bass is unchanged, however the HF is much smoother no shouting at higher volumes.

I would like to hear this crossover in an original Cornwall I, It did wonders for my Cornscala.

Dave.

post-24405-1381968577948_thumb.jpg

awesome..another nice product offering to add to the mix of goodies

Due to the first order woofer filter, the Cornwall bass is unchanged

Just to clarify, B-1 is first order, B-2 and B-3 is second order. So the new xovers have the bass character of B-1's?

Guest David H

awesome..another nice product offering to add to the mix of goodies

Due to the first order woofer filter, the Cornwall bass is unchanged

Just to clarify, B-1 is first order, B-2 and B-3 is second order. So the new xovers have the bass character of B-1's?

Correct.

The Conrscala-wall is first order woofer to mid, second order HF rolloff on the midrange and third order tweeter filter.

Same design as the ALK Universal.

Dave.

I received and installed my Cornscala crossovers yesterday. Absolutely Fantastic...

Due to the first order woofer filter, the Cornwall bass is unchanged, however the HF is much smoother no shouting at higher volumes.

I would like to hear this crossover in an original Cornwall I, It did wonders for my Cornscala.

Dave.

I received my new networks from Al on Wednesday and put the finishing touches on my Crornscala build today and I can agree with Dave's comments.

I really cannot compare apples to apples as my pair of CS are brand new, but from my memory of my previuos 2 pair of Cornwalls, there is

no comparison to the sound that I am hearing in the Cornscalas, expesially in the midrange and up.

Thanks to Dave for giving the heads-up on this Xover, andalso to Al for letting me be the 1st kid on the block to play with his new toy!!!

Here is a quick shot of my Cornscala Xover, nestled in a comfy spot...

could be an illusion, looks awefully close to that giant magnet. Air core inductors are easily influenced by magnetic fields.

"could be an illusion, looks awefully close to that giant magnet. Air core inductors are easily influenced by magnetic fields."

Looks miles away to me, shouldn't be an issue.

Have you ever measured an inductor glued to a magnet? I have, and it's hard to tell if there is any difference in the inductance with a hand-held LCR meter.

Here is a quick shot of my Cornscala Xover, nestled in a comfy spot...

could be an illusion, looks awefully close to that giant magnet. Air core inductors are easily influenced by magnetic fields.

speakerfritz,

I think the perspective of the photo is a little deceiving, and yes, that DE-85TN magnet is "man size" [:o]

I was thinking about having the networks mounted outside in their own Xover box but I was anxious to get these things
playing music...

And a music they are playing [:D]

Have you ever measured an inductor glued to a magnet? I have, and it's hard to tell if there is any difference in the inductance with a hand-held LCR meter.

thats right, an LCR meter that can not test inductance using the target operating frequency will show no influence at all. Most LCR meters use a DC signal to test inductance. Thats great for power supply building, but of little value in audio circuts.

"Most LCR meters use a DC signal to test inductance"

I have NEVER seen an LRC meter that used DC to test inductance.

I'm not going to argue either side but I thought most used DC because they are run on DC. Wouldnt you need to either have one plugged into an AC source or an inverter to you test with AC?

I'm not going to argue either side but I thought most used DC because they are run on DC. Wouldnt you need to either have one plugged into an AC source or an inverter to you test with AC?

How a meter is powered has nothing to do with the measuring of impedance.

The better devices will have multiple AC test signal frequency capabilities in the appropriate range of interest.

Resistance is a DC measurement and AC Impedance is a measurement that takes into account Frequency and Phase.

How a meter is powered has nothing to do with the measuring of impedance.

The better devices will have multiple AC test signal frequency capabilities in the appropriate range of interest.

Resistance is a DC measurement and AC Impedance is a measurement that takes into account Frequency and Phase.

Ya I used to have access to a Fluke 6303 that had multiple AC options but that was a desktop unit not hand held like the OP. With a DC powered hand held how would it provide an ac signal? Not through the use of an inverter or AC source like I asked in my previous post? Like I said I'm not arguing it.

In either event I vote we not jack the thread any further :-X