Need quick tutorial on Blue-ray surround sound options

RichardP

I need some info to help out a less-well-versed friend who just got a new TV and BD player. I do not have a BD set up, and am not fully versed as well.

He only has an older Yamaha receiver with optical, composite, and analogue MC inputs, and decodes DD5.1, DTS, and the analog surround modes (DPL II, etc). He did not realize that it would not decode Dolby Digital True HD from his LG BD player. The LG does decode DD5.1, DTS, presumably for playback of regular DVDs.

What I don't know is:

1. whether any "down-converting" from True HD to DD5.1 can be done by the BD player, which could be decoded by his receiver.

2. whether any BD discs also have separate DD5.1 soundtracks that his receiver could decode.

3. If neither of the above are true, what is his best option for HT surround from BD discs? (hopefully not just DPL II).

Thanks for helping us out.

First question? does the LG BluRay player have audio analog outputs? Some do some don't. If they do connect the audio of the BD player to the reciever with those and the player does the decoding for you... if not your best bet is to just connect via optical and you will get regular dolby digital and dts tracks as if you would watching a regular dvd. I know this isn't a very detailed description but hope it helps.

First question? does the LG BluRay player have audio analog outputs?

Do you mean the 6-channel analog connections, like for an SACD? The LG does not. Also, as that is analog, I did not think that any digital signal (DD5.1, etc) went through those inputs.

..if not your best bet is to just connect via optical and you will get
regular dolby digital and dts tracks as if you would watching a regular
dvd.

So this is a "yes" to my question #2? That all Blue-Ray discs also have DD5.1?

Sorry, still need some clarification. Thanks for your response.

First question? does the LG BluRay player have audio analog outputs?

Do you mean the 6-channel analog connections, like for an SACD? The LG does not.

If the LG had them, you could hook them up to the Yamaha's multichannel analog imputs and let the LG decode the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA soundtracks.

Also, as that is analog, how could it send any digital info (DD5.1, etc)?

Remember, all digital signals will end up analog before it reaches the speakers. With mutichannel outputs, the player's Dacs are used, with digital coax or optical, the receiver's Dacs are used.

Bill