mixing reference lines

abjonesiii

Anyone got any thoughts on the cons of mixing the new RF-7's with the old RC-64. I'd be replacing some RF-82's. Would they sonically blend i.e. timber matching, sound stage? Would selling my 64 for the new 64ii be necessary? I know the 82's tweeter didn't exactly match the 64's but I had always planned on selling the 82's and getting 83's after recouping from the financial sting of buying a whole system at once. But seeing as you can't find the 83's anymore (and i don't like used) the RF-7's may be in the future?

• Moderators

My thought is the RF-7ii and RC-64 combo can't be much different than the RF-82 and RC-64 mismatch. Either way those were not designed to blend together but how much of that mismatch can you hear? I dunno. We all hear differently. Just a guess though.

But seeing as you can't find the 83's anymore (and i don't like used) the RF-7's may be in the future?

I can understand this stance on used gear, but the savings you could take advantage of clearly outways the fact someone elses grubby hands have touched them.[+o(] Close to 90 percent of the gear in my setups are used but if I had not revealed that fact, no one could tell it. My cherry RF-63's were delivered to me by the original owner with original boxes, manuals, styrofoam, for $1000.00. That is a 50% savings from msrp and they still look brand new, and that was almost four years ago.

Bill

Thanks for the replies. I know I should consider used. I am just funny about my stuff. Everything I own is in pristine condition. Clean, regularly dusted, never anything set on top, looks fresh out the box.

Maybe I'm just overly conscious of how many nails I had to drive to pay for it so I keep things nice.

I've never understood people tearing up there own stuff. For example I was at my local AV store three weeks ago and they had a pair of used 63's for sale at a fair price but the speakers looked as though they had been to hell and back. Dents on the conners, cup circles on top, dent in the woofer, and fabric torn from the grills.

I know I should consider used. I am just funny about my stuff. Everything I own is in pristine condition. Clean, regularly dusted, never anything set on top, looks fresh out the box.

So you would buy used if you bought from you?[:P][Y] I am sort of the same way, I dust my gear often and oil my Fortes, Quartets, and Heresy II's pretty regularly.

I've never understood people tearing up there own stuff. For example I was at my local AV store three weeks ago and they had a pair of used 63's for sale at a fair price but the speakers looked as though they had been to hell and back. Dents on the conners, cup circles on top, dent in the woofer, and fabric torn from the grills.

Children and significant others just not getting it.[:@] My wife is very understanding about by gear and my 7.5 year old son has been "conditioned" from the time he could crawl that electrical outlets and my audio gear will shoot fire out[li] if he touches. To this day he has never touched a thing.[:D]

Bill