Heresy Mods

TP143

Would you say both methods described above give the same effect? I ask because the note about a smooth response curve is only mentioned on the second option. If they give the same effect, I will likely go route #2 allowing me to keep all cap values at 2uf. I have posted a pic of this mod below; can someone explain how the resistor is connected to the plate, or if soldered to the "risers," how to make these and connect to the plate?

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/96341/1004714.aspx

Thanks!

The leads from the 15 ohm/10W resistor are attached to the + and - screw-down terminals to the squawkwer, numbered 5, and 6 on the crossover board. This allows one to drop the horns down one numbered tap on the autoformer. It will give you a better balance with the woofer, and will let you hear if you might want to go further for a smooth impedance by spending the money on bigger (21uF) squawker capacitors. (The smooth impedance is probably good for most amps, but especially useful for low-powered tube amps with a high output impedance.)

I think the other poster was talking about "risers" that raise the cabinet off of the floor a few inches and tilt them back a few degrees.

• Like 1

I have decided on the first route which includes a higher cap value for the squaker. How important is it to match the uf value to 21? I see Dayton and Jantzen offer 20uf and 22uf. Are either of these ok or do I need to perfectly match? Also, in general is it worth the extra cost for lesser tolerance (1% verse 5%) in capacitors?

Same goes for the resistors - Albright recommends 11ohm/20w and the closest I can find on PE is 10ohm/25w. Or else I can get 11ohm in 10w. Thanks again!

I have decided on the first route which includes a higher cap value for the squaker. How important is it to match the uf value to 21? I see Dayton and Jantzen offer 20uf and 22uf. Are either of these ok or do I need to perfectly match? Also, in general is it worth the extra cost for lesser tolerance (1% verse 5%) in capacitors?

Same goes for the resistors - Albright recommends 11ohm/20w and the closest I can find on PE is 10ohm/25w. Or else I can get 11ohm in 10w. Thanks again!

5% is good enough.

You could use 10 ohm with 22uF, or 12 ohms with 20uF. 10W resistor is probably OK unless you'll be blasting some really loud volumes. I used 12W Mills in that position which is fine. If you're using parts-express, I'd recommend the 1% Dayton caps. You could also use a 10 ohm resistor with a 20uF cap in parallel with a 1uF cap. If you're lucky, a pair of 20uF 5% Dayton caps could be close enough to each other, but I wouldn't want to use a 19uF cap in one speaker, and a 21uF cap in the other. The 1st order crossover is pretty forgiving, though. Erseaudio.com has some decent cheap crossover parts, caps at 3%. Something to be said for using inexpensive parts in your 1st crossover rebuild.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to this forum and actually just discovered it yesterday. It was nice to find some tech info about what I can do to give my 32 year old Heresys some overdue upgrades. I just got my Klipsch subwoofer and it's given me renewed passion in home theater and audio. Thanks to all the contributors. [:D]