All-Tchaikovsky at Strathmore, Saturday Feb 4th

LarryC

Classical fans! On Saturday evening February 4, 2012, the National Philharmonic is performing an outstanding (but a bit war-horsey) all-Tchaikovsky program at 8:00 p.m. (see program below). Thebes called it to my attention and suggested we round up some of the usual local suspects. I thank him very much for being responsible for initiating this endeavor!

I did not advertise this on the forum, partly because the fine balcony seats at the side of the orchestra are now closed for Nat'l Phil concerts.

As it turns out, we got quite a few takers, and are now up to 15 attendees -- six forum members and some friends, and several acquaintances of mine! I hope no one feels left out because it wasn't announced initially on the Forum.

Here is the program and link:

• Polonaise from Eugene Onegin
  • Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor
  • Romeo and Juliet Overture-Fantasy
  • 1812 Overture

http://www.nationalphilharmonic.org/ (scroll down)

The Polonaise is a pleasant item.

Of course, the piano concerto is a great, dynamic, tear-em-up work that everyone knows. The piano soloist is Danill Trifonov, winner of the XIV International Tchaikovsky Competition which makes him an International Superstar!!

The Romeo and Juliet Overture is a great, impassioned, touching, mournful, fire-breathing portrayal of the intense emotions in Shakespeare's play. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_and_Juliet_(Tchaikovsky). You can watch part of it on youtube:

The 1812 is, of course the 1812. Youtube:

. To me, there is always a lot of electricity in the solo strings that open the work, and you know the rest. The entire overture is a FAR better experience than the pathetic snippets seen on "A Capitol Fourth" on TV.

This kind of music always gets a fabulous performance from conductor Piotr Gajewski and the National Phil. The orchestra is a bit underpowered in the strings, but the brass and most of the woodwinds are terrific in such works.

We have organized a pre-concert dinner not far from Strathmore, and got seats mostly in one row in an acoustically excellent area of the auditorium.

There were a number of nearby seats available the last I looked, in case anyone else wants to join in the fun. You'll need to contact me to get the discounted rate of $48.80 each, and we should be able to work you into the dinner (space is limited).

Again, thanks to Marty (Thebes) for setting this adventure into motion.

That's right Larry, there's nothing like like blazing cannons in the middle of winter to get the juices running, and the toes a tapping.

Tchaikovsky. He's from Weehawken if I do recall. Well, wherever he's from, he composes likes he shoulda been alive during the heyday of '60's rock. So come on down. The venues fantastic, the wine they serve before hand is serviceable, and Tawny and Tickles have been shopping the latest in skimpy Italian fashions in anticipation of the event.

Have I mentioned that parking is FREE, FREE, FREE!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I still lived in this part of the country!!!! Been to some classical performances met a few conductors, excentric types even more so than concert masters. I was a little scared once at carnegie hall, the conducter was in his underware, at the piano, with the pictures of some of the greats, all around him, in the conductors room. Like the seinfeld episode, at dinner that night everyone referred to him as "maestro". I laughed every time someone said it, to myself. Carmina burana was magical that night. I wish I could get my speakers to sound like many of the performances I have seen!!!!

Larry -

I'm really looking forward to this. It will be good to see Gary again, and meet a few more of the forum crowd. I'd ask Marty if he has a sofa for me to crash on, but I'm afraid I'd get in trouble with the wife if she ever found out about Tawny and Tickles.

Chuck

Chuck,

I'm glad you were able to make one of these at long last, and I know you'll enjoy the group (a mix of forum and friends). The program is sensational IMO. I have a couch you can use, and you'll only have cats to fend off.

Larry -

I'm really looking forward to this. It will be good to see Gary again, and meet a few more of the forum crowd. I'd ask Marty if he has a sofa for me to crash on, but I'm afraid I'd get in trouble with the wife if she ever found out about Tawny and Tickles.

Chuck

It's a standing invitation Chuck. So come on down. Got a real queen-sized bed for you with clean sheets and soft pillows. Bring the missus (unless you don't trust her in the presence of greatness[:D]).

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for a reminder -- Saturday evening February 4th, the concert starts at 8:00 p.m..

Dinner at the Black Market at 5:15 p.m., and drive the short distance to Strathmore to get to the parking garage by 7:30 p.m.

This is a spectacular turnout! Total of 15, including six forum members with two friends, and seven friends of mine.

Black Market Bistro website: http://www.blackmarketrestaurant.com/intro/

This will be a very exciting concert! The group will be a nice mix of friends and meeting new people for some.

Larry

Looking forward to finally meeting you as well, Mike. BTW, the Scott is still going strong as the heart of my man-cave system. I just wrapped it in a new Walnut cabinet I picked up from Matt at Mac Cabinets. My Christmas present to myself. Looks great (and sounds great, of course).

Chuck

I will be going to this - I'll be just driving up that morning straight from Fredericksburg.

I actually managed to free up my skiing schedule to be able to attend this, so I am excited to get to see everybody as well as getting to attend what is looking like is going to be an excellent performance. [8] Hopefully no major snow storm like what happened two years ago (that prevented me from attending). Does not look like there will be.

This will be a very nice prelude before I head off to Aspen later that week. [H]

Alas, my travel dollars are pledged elsewhere for this winter/ spring. But I'd like to thank Larry and Marty for hosting such an elegant and fun weekend for Klipsch and music lovers. If you'd like to meet other like-minded guys for a couple of days of spectacular music sharing (are you doing the LP 'trade table' again), listening to one of the finest 2 channel systems in our circle, a great night's entertainment at a splendid hall (great vantage point the two times i made this trip), and a superb musical education by the classical master himself - MAKE IT A POINT to do whatever you can to make this show. I have fond memories of the times I attended and got to meet some Klipschers I'd never met, learned a LOT about Classical music enjoyment and brought home some LP's that i enjoy to this day. Y'all have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments and encouragement, Michael! Skonopa and Colonial Hoo are coming by late Saturday morning for pre-concert listening. We have 16 people for the concert and a pre-concert dinner, a mix of forum members and friends.

I'm going thru some classical LPs someone sent me, and they're pretty good! Even dirty-looking albums without internal sleeves sound clean, though dated. Dunno where I'm going to put them all...

A pre-concert dinner at a really nice restaurant, the Black Market in Garrett Park, is almost fully subscribed. We'll have to do this again sometime!

Thanks for the nice comments and encouragement, Michael! Skonopa and Colonial Hoo are coming by late Saturday morning for pre-concert listening. We have 16 people for the concert and a pre-concert dinner, a mix of forum members and friends.

I hope to get there at a decent time. Turns out I have a doctor's appointment at 9:30 tomorrow, as I've injured my knee this past Sunday while skiing (go figure - just two weeks before leaving for Aspen [:@] ). I don't know how long that is going to take, but immediatly afterwards, I plan on heading up your way (may stop for lunch along the way).

I am looking forward to this! It has been awhile since I've gotten to see a good performance up there at the Strathmore. Will be fun to got to see some of you guys that will be there as well.