Different ways to stream internet radio...help please

I have the new Onkyo tx 8050 which has a USB port on the front and an ethernet connection on the back. I want to listen to Pandora from my computer.

Should I just run an ethernet cable from my laptop computer (which of course is receiving wireless internet) to the back of the receiver or can I use a USB port from my computer to the USB on the receiver? Any advantages to one method vs the other?

I would like to use the USB unless there are advantages to the ethernet.

I tried using the wireless adapter that Onkyo sells but the reception is spotty and I would like to hardwire it.

Thanks

Jon

If you have toslink (or digital RCA out) on your laptop, use that. I use toslink from my media pc to my Onkyo. You could also buy a switch and connect it to both your computer and your receiver. Then the pandora function on the receiver would work 100%.

edit: were you talking about an adhoc network cause you don't have ethernet near the laptop and receiver? I'm not thinking too clearly today for some reason...

I use toslink from my media pc to my Onkyo

Is your PC hooked up directly to your Onkyo via HDMI / VGA or directly to your monitor? The reason I'm asking is my media pc is running thru my AVR via HDMI then HDMI to my TV. I've been wondering if I would benefit (sound quality) by running toslink from the pc to the AVR and pc directly to the tv via HDMI. The only source my AVR indicates now is stereo when streaming pandora, media player, etc. Not too sure if digital is possible by making any changes..........Thanks!

Yes i guess it would be adhoc. I would connect the laptop to the receiver and disconnect it at various times since I use my laptop in different rooms at times.

My pc does not have any rca inputs.

The 8050 is a two channel receiver with no HDMI. I also have an AVR in another room with HDMI. I would actually like to be able to move my pc back and forth between these systems at will with the most convenient connections that will allow it.

Sorry Klipschtastic, I didn't mean to get off topic with my own question to Mustang Guy.

It looks like your TX 8050 is a network able receiver. If it's connected to your network (hardwired) and your other AVR is capable, you could add them to the network and stream wirelessly to them thru your modem if wireless capable.

edit: assuming your laptop is wireless

Thanks for all the quick replys. I am new to this type of set up so please bear with me.

My modem is in a seperate room from both of my receivers so I won't be hardwiring the moden to either receiver unless I move the modem. One problem with that is I don't have a phone jack for the modem in either room the receivers are in.

My laptop is wireless however and I was hoping to just plug and play Pandora from my laptop to either receiver that I decide to use at the time.

Basically I think I may be complicating a simple question because of my ignorance of internet streaming.

I just want to know which connection cable would be the best for my TX 8050 which has: USB, PC cable and ethernet connections. Or does really matter which one I use?

As for the AVR I have some HDMI cables I could use.

I connected my old router to the AVR since every thing else in the house can connect to the network wirelesly. If you have a new BD player, such as Samsung, it will give you Pandora and many other internet options. I also have the BD and TV connected to the router for internet options and firmware updates.

I use toslink from my media pc to my Onkyo

Is your PC hooked up directly to your Onkyo via HDMI / VGA or directly to your monitor? The reason I'm asking is my media pc is running thru my AVR via HDMI then HDMI to my TV. I've been wondering if I would benefit (sound quality) by running toslink from the pc to the AVR and pc directly to the tv via HDMI. The only source my AVR indicates now is stereo when streaming pandora, media player, etc. Not too sure if digital is possible by making any changes..........Thanks!

I have the computer hooked to the monitor via DVI to HDMI in 1080p. That is only because I have used all the HDMI inputs on the AVR and there were none left for my PC. I have sound by using TOSLINK from the motherboard output on the back to the source in the AVR.

IMO, you have your system set up the way I wanted to. It is better using an HDMI only than both HDMI and a TOSlink as I am. Your AVR is doing the digital to analog converter, and the PCM stream is getting there fine. You just need to set your listening mode to Studio-Mix if you have it on your Onkyo. For music and PCM it is the best. For PCM and TV or Movies, TV-Logic is the best.

edit: I looked later and saw you do not have an Onkyo. I peeked into your manual, and it looks like EXT.STEREO is a sort of match to the Onkyo Studio-Mix. All channel stereo is always a good listening mode, but with a surround system, virtual surround sounds more robust than stereo or all channel stereo. If you are changing listening positions a lot, then try out all channel mono.

This doesn't answer the question you asked, but I have cable TV on my computer, through a Hauppage setup. It consists of the software, an antenna box with an F-connection for a CATV cable and a lead to a USB plug to the computer. I got a second Comcast remote and a small Motorola DCT-700/US black converter box w/no readouts. that fits on my computer desk.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQg4a20pJjljCEy1jz0Abt

I can't get Hi-Def, but can get a small picture and good sound on my computer of any non-HiDef station on my cable. I can choose to keep the picture on top or hide it behind other windows.

http://www.hauppauge.com/

edit: I looked later and saw you do not have an Onkyo. I peeked into your manual, and it looks like EXT.STEREO is a sort of match to the Onkyo Studio-Mix. All channel stereo is always a good listening mode, but with a surround system, virtual surround sounds more robust than stereo or all channel stereo. If you are changing listening positions a lot, then try out all channel mono.

Thanks for your input sir! I thought I might have the best set up but was very curious if there was a "work around" to gain any improvement in sound quality. I listen in the EXT. Stereo mode when on the pc (pandora, itunes, etc.)and occasionally while watching tv if the source isn't at least 5.1 surround.

I'm still happy with the overall quality but as with most here....It's never enough!!

Thanks again!