On This Date In Music History

Rick

On June 20th in music history:

Births

1920: Danny Cedrone (Bill Haley and His Comets)
1924: Chet Atkins
1936: Billy Guy (The Coasters)
1936: Mickie Most
1937: Jerry Keller
1942: Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys)
1945: Anne Murray
1949: Lionel Richie
1953: Alan Longmuir (The Bay City Rollers)
1959: Michael Anthony (Van Halen)

Deaths

1965: Ira Louvin (The Louvin Brothers)
1973: Bruce Tate (The Penguins)
1997: Lawrence Payton (The Four Tops)
2006: Claydes Charles Smith (Kool and the Gang)

Events

1948: CBS-TV debuts its new variety show, entitled Toast Of The Town, featuring performances by Martin & Lewis and Rodgers & Hammerstein, and hosted by an New York Daily News entertainment columnist and critic named Ed Sullivan. It would go on to become The Ed Sullivan Show and become the longest-running variety show in US history at 23 years.

1959: In Paris, The management of the Lido Club calls Elvis Presley's hotel and demands that his entire female chorus line be returned in time for tonight's show.

1966: Capitol executives, reeling from the Beatles' latest scandal, replace the original "Butcher Cover" of the US album Yesterday and Today -- which featured the band posing with decapitated dolls and raw meat, to the horror of fans and record retailers -- with a more sedate, traditional band pose. The label decides to glue the new cover over the old one, resulting in one of the band's most prized collectibles. A unpeeled original "Butcher" fetches about $800.

1968: At Hollywood's Western Recorders, Elvis Presley records the songs "Nothingville," "Let Yourself Go," "Guitar Man," and "Big Boss Man." He will use these and the following few days' recordings as guides for his live performance in his upcoming NBC "comeback" TV special.

1969: Northridge, CA hosts the Newport Rock festival, featuring Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Rascals, Ike and Tina Turner, Steppenwolf, Joe Cocker, Jethro Tull, and Jimi Hendrix, whose $125,000 fee is the highest ever paid to a rock act for one show.

1972: The Tallahatchie bridge in Sidon, MS, made famous by Bobbie Gentry's hit "Ode To Billie Joe," collapses. Today motorists use the newer bridge on County Road 512 to cross the river.

1973: American Bandstand airs its 20th anniversary special on ABC-TV, featuring Little Richard, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Three Dog Night, Johnny Mathis, Annette Funicello, and Cheech and Chong. It also features the first appearance of his many huge "all-star" rock jams.

1981: A disco medley of oldies hits called "Stars On 45" hits #1 in the US, becoming a national phenomenon. The medley, which originated in Dutch dance clubs, begins with re-creations of Shocking Blue's "Venus" and The Archies' "Sugar Sugar" before segueing into an expert mimic of early Beatles hits.

1983: Twang king and guitar god Duane Eddy performs his first concert in fifteen years with a show in San Francisco.

1987: Teddy Pendergrass marries his first and only wife, Karen Still.

1994: Beatles fans learn that the three surviving members of the group are working on a "new" song for their upcoming Anthology multimedia juggernaut, a song which turns out to be the "Threetles" overdubbing themselves onto a '70s John home demo called "Free As A Bird."

1995: A Los Angeles judge rules that the Kingsmen and not their label, Scepter, are owners of the 1963 smash "Louie Louie," and are entitled to back royalties.

1996: Westinghouse Electric becomes the first entity to cash in on the new 1996 Telecommunications Act by purchasing Infinity Broadcasting for 3.9 billion dollars. The act relaxed restrictions on how many radio and TV stations one company could own in a single market.

2004: Paul McCartney plays his 3,000th professional concert, appearing in the Palace Square of St. Petersburg, Russia.

2006: The BBC cancels its landmark weekly pop music show Top Of The Pops after a record 42 years on the air.

2008: Surrey University in England awarded Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page an honorary Doctorate in Music.

Releases

1974: Bob Dylan / The Band, Before The Flood

Recording

1955: The Four Lads, "Moments To Remember"
1962: Ricky Nelson, "Teenage Idol"
1967: The Buckinghams: "Susan," "Hey, Baby, They're Playing Our Song"
1968: The Beatles, "Revolution 9"
1969: David Bowie, "Space Oddity"

A local boy from my hometown: [H]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Eddy

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On June 21st in music history:

Births

1929: Helen Merrill
1932: Lalo Schifrin
1932: O.C. Smith
1936: Nick Noble
1940: Ray Davies (The Kinks)
1942: Deodato
1945: Chris Britton (The Troggs)
1946: Brenda Holloway
1948: Joey Molland (Badfinger)
1950: Joey Kramer (Aerosmith)
1951: Nils Lofgren

Deaths

1980: Bert Kaempfert
2001: John Lee Hooker

Events

1948: The Columbia label announces its new technological breakthrough, a "long-playing" vinyl phonograph record that can hold up to 23 minutes of music on a side.

1962: As part of manager Brian Epstein's plan to get the band wider exposure by having them open for established acts, the Beatles open for Bruce Chanel of "Hey! Baby!" fame at the Tower Ballroom, in New Brighton, England. Backstage, Channel's harmonica player, who will go on to fame as Delbert McClinton, offers John Lennon some tips on playing harmonica, which Lennon will later put to use on the band's first single, "Love Me Do."

1966: The Rolling Stones sue fourteen New York City hotels who have refused to admit the band during their North American tour, disingenuously accusing them of "discrimination on account of national origin."

1967: San Francisco's Golden Gate Park celebrates the Summer Solstice with a free concert with entertainment by The Grateful Dead, Big Brother and the Holding Company, and Quicksilver Messenger Service.

1968: Influenced by the recent assassination of Robert Kennedy, Steve Binder, director of Elvis Presley's upcoming NBC-TV special, asks musical director Bones Howe to write a "socially conscious" song for Elvis' big closing number, which had been slated to be the standard "I'll Be Home For Christmas." Howe writes the replacement song, "If I Can Dream," that afternoon; after hearing it a half-dozen times, Elvis agrees to end with it.

1970: Who guitarist Pete Townshend, while waiting for his flight at the airport in Memphis, likens the band's latest album, Tommy, to the atomic bomb, causing officials who misheard the remark to search the facilities for a real bomb.

1973: The band Bread, already having decided to break up, play their last live gig ever in Salt Lake City after one of its tour trucks flips over and destroys most of its gear.

1975: Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore leaves the band to form Rainbow.

1981: After a number of lawsuits, deaths, and accidents, Steely Dan break up, not to fully reform onstage until 2000.

1988: The Rascals reunite onstage for the first time in eighteen years.

1990: Little Richard is awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6840 Hollywood Blvd.

2003: Johnny Cash makes a surprise appearance live on stage in Hiltons, VA, near the birthplace of his recently-deceased wife June Carter Cash, saying "I don't hardly know what to say tonight about being up here without her... the pain is so severe, there's no way of describing it."

2007: After dating her for a full eighteen years, Tony Bennett marries teacher Susan Crow.

Releases

1955: Johnny Cash, "Hey Porter"
1958: Bobby Darin, "Splish Splash"

Recording

1961: Bobby Vee, "Take Good Care Of My Baby"
1966: The Beatles, "She Said She Said"
1967: Elvis Presley: "Let Yourself Go," "He's Your Uncle, Not Your Dad"
1968: The Beatles, "Revolution 1"
1968: Elvis Presley: "It Hurts Me," "Little Egypt," "Trouble," "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child," "Where Could I Go But To The Lord?"

Charts

1975: The Captain and Tennille's "Love Will Keep Us Together" hits #1

Certifications

1972: Billy Preston's "Outa-Space" is certified gold

Happy 64th Birthday To The LP Record!! [^]

On June 22nd in music history:

Births

1913: Dotty Todd
1930: Roy Drusky
1936: Kris Kristofferson
1936: Verne Allison (The Dells)
1937: Chris Blackwell
1942: Steve Weber (The Holy Modal Rounders)
1943: Jimmy Castor
1944: Peter Asher (Peter and Gordon)
1947: Howard Kaylan (The Turtles)
1948: Todd Rundgren
1949: Alan Osmond (The Osmonds)

Deaths

1969: Judy Garland
1988: Jesse Ed Davis
1990: Kripp Johnson (The Dell-Vikings)

Events

1846: Adolphe Sax patents his new musical instrument in Paris, a new style of woodwind called the Saxophone that would function more as a member of the brass family. Although his patent would be challenged by other craftsmen, his instrument became an integral part of jazz, rock and roll, and ska.

1957: Liverpool skiffle group The Quarrymen, later to morph into the Beatles, play their first major gig at a local fete by performing on the back of a coal truck. Four years later to the day, the Beatles (with Pete Best on drums) would have their first formal recording session, performing "My Bonnie," "When The Saints Go Marching In," "Why Can't You Love Me Again," "Nobody's Child," and "Take Out Some Insurance On Me Baby" while backing singer Tony Sheridan. The sessions, produced by Bert Kaempfert in Hamburg, Germany, also feature "Ain't She Sweet" and the instrumental "Cry For A Shadow," which are both performed by the group alone.

1961: Elvis Presley's seventh movie, a serious drama called Wild In The Country, opens nationwide in US theaters.

1964: Barbra Streisand signs a $200,000 ten-year contract with CBS for a series of television specials.

1968: The Jeff Beck Group makes its US stage debut in New York at the Fillmore East ballroom.

Rolling Stone first reports on the existence of an unissued Bob Dylan album recorded with The Band during his extended convalescence at Woodstock, NY; it would finally see the light of day in 1975 as The Basement Tapes.

1975: Eric Clapton joins the Rolling Stones for a version of "Sympathy For The Devil" during the band's Madison Square Garden concert.

1981: John Lennon's murderer pleads guilty to his crime and is sentenced to 20 Years to Life in New York's Attica State prison. He has since been up for parole five times, and has been denied every time.

1988: Peter Tosh's murderer, Dennis Lobban, is sentenced to hanging by a court in his native Jamaica. Lobban, who was known to Tosh, and two others had murdered the reggae star in his home the previous year after a failed robbery.

1990: Billy Joel performs a concert at Yankee Stadium, the first rocker ever to do so.

1996: Diana Ross' brother, Motown songwriter Arthur Ross, is murdered along with his wife by two robbers at his home in Detroit.

Releases

1959: Chuck Berry, "Memphis"
1963: The Surfaris, "Wipe Out"
1969: Blind Faith, Blind Faith

Recording

1967: The Young Rascals, "How Can I Be Sure"

Charts

1959: Fabian's "I'm A Tiger" enters the charts
1963: Stevie Wonder's "Fingertips (Pt. 1)" enters the charts
1968: Herb Alpert's "This Guy's In Love With You" hits #1
1974: Gordon Lightfoot's LP Sundown hits #1

On June 23rd in music history:

Births

1929: June Carter Cash
1937: Niki Sullivan (The Crickets)
1940: Stu Sutcliffe
1940: Adam Faith
1941: Robert Hunter (Grateful Dead)
1944: Rosetta Hightower (The Orlons)

Events

1960: Paul Anka opens at New York's Copacabana nightclub, the youngest act ever to do so at the time.
1963: Del Shannon's cover of the Beatles' "From Me To You" hits the bottom of the Billboard Hot 100, thus becoming the first Lennon-McCartney composition to ever make the US charts.
1967: John Entwistle of The Who marries his first wife, childhood sweetheart Alison Wise.
1970: Chubby Checker and three passengers are arrested in Niagara Falls after police discover marijuana and other, unidentified capsules in the rocker's car. The charges are later dropped, however.
1972: Smokey Robinson appears onstage for the last time with his group The Miracles in Washington, DC.
1975: Alice Cooper falls off the stage during his Welcome To My Nightmare tour stop in Vancouver, breaking six ribs in the process.
1976: Paul McCartney wraps up the Wings Over America tour at the Forum in Los Angeles, marking last time the ex-Beatle would tour until 1989.
1977: Who drummer Keith Moon joins Led Zeppelin onstage in Los Angeles for rousing versions of "Rock And Roll" and a drum duet on "Moby Dick," both pounded out on tympani.
1990: Actor Gary Busey, best-known for his lead role in the controversial 1978 biopic The Buddy Holly Story, purchases one of Buddy's guitars, complete with tooled leather case made by the rocker, in auction for approximately $240,000.
1994: The Barry Manilow tribute musical Copacabana opens in London.
2000: Michael Jackson is sued by a German promoter for $21 million after the singer cancels two once-in-a-lifetime millennial New Year's concerts.
2003: Diana Ross pleads not guilty to drunk driving charges in Tucson after being discovered with a 0.2 BAC, claiming that the arresting officer threatened her with injury if she didn't take the breath test.
2004: St. Andrews University in Scotland presents Bob Dylan with an honorary doctorate in Music.

Releases

1965: Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, "The Tracks Of My Tears"
1970: Elvis Presley, On Stage: February 1970
1975: Jefferson Starship, Red Octopus
1979: The Charlie Daniels Band, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia"

Recording

1959: Eddie Cochran, "Somethin' Else"
1967: Aretha Franklin, "Chain Of Fools"
1967: The Beatles, "All You Need Is Love"
1968: Elvis Presley: "If I Can Dream," "Memories"
1973: B.W. Stevenson, "My Maria"

Charts

1951: Nat "King" Cole's "Too Young" hits #1
1962: Ray Charles' LP Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music hits #1
1973: George Harrison's LP Living In The Material World hits #1
1979: Supertramp's LP Breakfast In America hits #1

Certifications

1967: Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music" is certified gold
DChitwood_AllYouNeedIsLove-png.png?t=134

On June 24th in music history:

Births

1901: Harry Partch
1939: Paul "Oz" Bach (Spanky and Our Gang)
1942: Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac)
1942: Arthur Brown (The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown)
1944: Jeff Beck (The Yardbirds)
1944: Chris Wood (Traffic)
1944: John "Charlie" Whitney (Family)
1945: Colin Blunstone (The Zombies)
1948: Patrick Moraz (Yes, Moody Blues)
1949: John Illsley (Dire Straits)

Events

1964: Sam Cooke, preceded by a 70-foot billboard in Times Square, begins a famous two-week engagement at New York's Copacabana club that would come to define the beginning of "supper-club soul."

1966: The Mothers of Invention open for none other than Lenny Bruce at the Fillmore in San Francisco.

John Lennon's second whimsical book of original prose, poetry, and drawings, entitled A Spaniard In The Works, is published in his native England.

In an watershed moment for the brother/sister duo later known as the Carpenters, the jazz combo known as the Richard Carpenter Trio wins the Hollywood Bowl's "Battle of the Bands" contest.

With the McCoys and the Standells opening, the Rolling Stones' 1966 tour begins at the Manning Bowl in Lynn, Massachusetts, inciting yet another crowd riot that the police counteract with tear gas. Rock concerts are banned from the venue for nearly two decades.

1967: Led by Syd Barrett, Pink Floyd make their TV debut performing their hit single "See Emily Play" on BBC's Top Of The Pops.

5th Dimension make their TV debut performing their hit single "Up, Up And Away" on ABC'sAmerican Bandstand.

Guitarist Zal Yanovsky quits the Lovin' Spoonful after their gig at the Forest Hills Music Festival in New York.

1972: At tonight's show in Fort Worth, TX, the Rolling Stones film the performance that would become the quadrophonic concert documentary Ladies And Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones..

1973: After an extensive two-year investigation, 19 major music label heads, including Clive Davis of Arista and the Gamble-Huff team behind Philadelphia International, are indicted by the state of New Jersey for "payola" practices and income tax evasion

Legendary rock organist Al Kooper rejoins his first band, Blues Project, onstage during a concert in Central Park.

1977: En route to his hotel while on tour in Madison, WI, Elvis spots an altercation between two young men and a gas station attendant and immediately gets out of his limo, striking a karate pose, shouting "I'll take you on!" When all three get a glimpse of their intruder, however, they immediately forget the fight and ask for pictures and photographs.

1984: Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin joins Yes onstage in Dortmund, Germany for a cover of the Beatles' "I'm Down," further fueling rumors that the guitarist will assemble a new band called XYZ (Ex-Yes and Zeppelin).

1989: The Beatles finally get a US #1 Country hit when Rosanne Cash's cover of "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party" reaches the top spot.

1992: Billy Joel's old alma mater, Hicksville High in Long Island, NY, awards the singer-songwriter an honorary diploma in place of the one he never stayed in school to receive.

1993: Hank Williams' illegitimate daughter Jett, is awarded a piece of the country legend's estate from his son, Hank Jr.

1998: Johnny Cash makes his first public appearance since announcing his battle with Shy-Drager Syndrome, walking onstage at Kris Kristofferson's latest Nashville concert to sing Cash's hit "Sunday Morning Coming Down," written by Kris.

1999: Eric Clapton auctions off one hundred of the guitars in his collection to raise money for his Crossroads drug rehab clinic in Antigua, with the 1956 Fender "Layla" was written on going for nearly half a million dollars, a record at the time. Five years later, a similar auction, held like the first at Christie's in New York, nets another record -- almost one million dollars for another Fender Clapton named "Blackie," making it the most expensive guitar of all time.

2000: Preparing for "retirement," KISS begin auctioning off their quarter-century of band memorabilia, netting $876,000.

2003: Gert van der Graaf, former boyfriend of ABBA's Agnetha Faeltskog, is arrested near her home for stalking the singer, despite having received a restraining order three years earlier.

2004: US President George W. Bush awards the Medal of Freedom to Doris Day.

Releases

1972: Helen Reddy, "I Am Woman"

Recording

1966: The Supremes, "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart"

Charts

1950: The Andrews Sisters' "I Wanna Be Loved" hits #1
1967: The Monkees' LP Headquarters hits #1
1967: Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" enters the charts

Happy 68th Birthday To Jeff Beck!! [^]

On June 25th in music history:

Births

1935: Eddie Floyd
1939: Harold Melvin (Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes)
1940: Clint Warwick (The Moody Blues)
1945: Carly Simon
1946: Ian McDonald (Foreigner)
1946: Allen Lanier (Blue Oyster Cult)
1954: David Paich (Toto)

Deaths

1975: Tim Buckley
1987: Boudleaux Bryant
1988: Jimmy Soul
2006: Arif Mardin
2007: Hank Medress (The Tokens)
2009: Sky Saxon (The Seeds)
2009: Michael Jackson

Events

1957: In response to several successful concerts and dance contests, Egypt bans rock and roll from public places and from being mentioned in the press, deeming it "an imperialist plot" and citing it as a prime example of "Western degeneracy."

1964: The British Invasion gets a taste of its own medicine when Roy Orbison becomes the first American to hit #1 in the UK in 47 weeks, scoring with his single "It's Over."

1966: Jackie Wilson's performance tonight in a Port Arthur, TX nightclub is so explosive, so effective in stirring up the crowd of 400, that he's arrested for inciting a riot.

Neil Diamond makes his television debut, singing his hit "Solitary Man" on today's broadcast of ABC's American Bandstand.

1967: The world's first worldwide satellite broadcast entitled Our World, which features performances from all over the globe, airs the live English portion of the program, as the Beatles introduce their new single, a message of hope from John Lennon entitled "All You Need Is Love." Broadcast live around the world from the Abbey Road Studios in London, it features the band singing and playing along to a pre-recorded track, joined in the studio by guests Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull, Keith Richard, Keith Moon, Eric Clapton, George's wife Pattie, Paul's fiance Jane Asher and his brother Mike, Graham Nash and his wife, and others.

1970: The band Whole Oats, a duo consisting of Philadelphians Daryl Hall and John Oates, goes into the studio to record their first demos.

1977: Pink Floyd's concert at Cleveland Stadium sets a single-concert record for attendance.

1980: Billy Joel becomes the first rock act to perform before 100,000 fans at Madison Square Garden.

1984: Bruce Springsteen takes on a new backup singer named Patti Scialfa, who will eventually become his second wife after their affair leads to the breakup of his first marriage to model and actress Julianne Phillips. Nine years later to the day, he becomes the last musical guest on the NBC-TV show Late Night With David Letterman.

2003: Boston's mastermind, Tom Scholz, sues his record label for failure to promote the band's latest comeback album, ironically entitled Corporate America.

Recording

1961: Elvis Presley, "(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame"
1969: Sly and the Family Stone, "Hot Fun In The Summertime"
1969: The Hollies, "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"

Charts

1966: The Beatles' "Paperback Writer" b/w "Rain" hits #1
1977: Marvin Gaye's "Got To Give It Up" hits #1

Certifications

1969: The Guess Who's "These Eyes" is certified gold

Happy 67th Birthday to Carly Simon!! [^]

On June 26th in music history:

Births

1909: Colonel Tom Parker
1940: Billy Davis Jr. (5th Dimension)
1942: Larry Taylor (Canned Heat)
1943: Georgie Fame
1950: Junior Daye (Sweet Sensation)

Events

1954: Sam Phillips, head of Sun Records, calls a young singer named Elvis Presley, who had recorded a few songs there earlier in the year, and asks him to record two songs, "Without You" and "Rag Mop." He sings the first, attempting to match a demo made by an unknown person hanging around the studio, but it proves too much for him, and, according to Dave Marsh's book Elvis, beats the walls of the studio, repeatedly shouting "I hate him! I hate him!" The singer whom Elvis could not match is lost to history. Phillips mollifies the young Elvis by asking him to sing something else, and Presley impresses him anyway, to the point that he makes plans to set the singer up with musicians for a future date.

1955: Decca Records, home to Bill Haley and His Comets, announces that the group has sold three million records in the past year, due mostly to "Rock Around The Clock" and "Shake, Rattle And Roll."

1961: The Marcels make their US television debut, performing "Blue Moon" on ABC-TV's American Bandstand.

1963: After a Beatles performance at the Majestic Ballroom, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, John Lennon and Paul McCartney write "She Loves You" in their hotel room, originally an answer song of sorts to the Bobby Rydell hit "Forget Him."

1971: WNEW-FM in New York becomes the first radio station to play Don McLean's new single, "American Pie," which it features in its 8:36 entirety.

1973: Model and singer Marsha Hunt, inspiration for the Rolling Stones song "Brown Sugar," names Mick Jagger in a paternity suit, claiming the singer fathered her two-year-old daughter Karis. That same day, Stones guitarist Keith Richards is busted, along with girlfriend Anita Pallenberg, in his Chelsea home for possession of heroin, illegal pharmaceuticals, guns, and ammo.

1975: Cher's divorce from Sonny Bono becomes final, leaving her free to marry Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers just four days later.

1977: Elvis Presley performs what would be his last concert, performing at the Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, IN for a crowd of 18,000. Although Elvis appears pale, weak, and overweight, as he had with increasing regularity, there is nothing to suggest his impending death -- indeed, there is nothing unusual about this show on the tour, except that Elvis for some reason introduces practically everyone from his life while on stage. Some take this as "proof" Elvis knew he was in his final days; others maintain that he was worried about the imminent publication of Elvis: What Happened?, a tell-all biography by former bodyguards Sonny and Red West that publicly broke the story of his drug abuse, and what those revelations might do to his image. The last song he performs from the stage is "Can't Help Falling In Love." Footage of the final concert is taken but has not been widely seen since; the audio portion can be heard on the LP The Last Farewell (released on CD as Adios: The Final Performance, A.J. Records CD 92-2002). Presley's father, Vernon, will pass away two years later to the day.

1982: Roxy Music leader Bryan Ferry marries his first wife, model Lucy Helmore. The same day, Marie Osmond marries her first husband, Brigham Young University basketball player Steve Craig.

1993: Ron Isley of the Isley Brothers marries his first wife, R&B singer Angela Winbush.

Releases

1964: The Rolling Stones, "It's All Over Now"
1975: Bob Dylan and the Band, The Basement Tapes
1976: Peter Frampton, "Baby, I Love Your Way"

Recording

1961: Elvis Presley: "I'm Yours," "(Marie's The Name Of) His Latest Flame," "Little Sister"

Charts

1961: Gary U.S. Bonds' "Quarter To Three" hits #1
1965: The Strangeloves' "I Want Candy" enters the charts
1965: The Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man" hits #1

Certifications

1975: Van McCoy's "The Hustle" is certified gold

On June 27th in music history:

Births

1925: Doc Pomus
1942: Frank Mills
1944: Bruce Johnston (The Beach Boys)

Deaths

1999: Brian O'Hara (The Fourmost)
2002: John Entwistle (The Who)
2006: Eileen Barton
2008: Raymond LeFevre
2009: Gale Storm
2009: Fayette Pinkney (The Three Degrees)

Events

1959: West Side Story closes on Broadway after a record 732 performances.

Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon, and Edd "Kookie" Byrnes are the musical guests on ABC-TV's variety show Coke Time With Eddie Fisher.

1963: Brenda Lee signs a million-dollar contract with Decca Records.

1968: As part of the filming of what would become known as his "'68 Comeback" TV special, Elvis Presley and his band tape an informal jam session on center stage at NBC's Studio 4, a performance many consider his best of all time. However, manager "Colonel" Tom Parker, unhappy with the direction of the show, withholds all tickets to the performance, forcing staffers to run into a nearby Bob's Big Boy restaurant (4211 W. Riverside Dr., Burbank) and plead with patrons to come see a real honest-to-goodness Elvis concert. (The King himself is extremely nervous at performing live for the first time in seven years, and is told by Binder that once he goes out there, he can just get up and leave if he can't take it. A close look at the performance shows that, once on stage, he pretends to do just that.) Two shows, an afternoon and an evening, are performed. This legendary performance would later serve as the inspiration for MTV's Unplugged series.

1970: The UK band Smile, having recently changed their name, performs for the first time as Queen, playing Truro City Hall in Cornwall, England.

With their latest single, "The Love You Save," The Jackson 5 become the first rock-era group to score #1 hits with its first three songs. They'd soon make it four with "I'll Be There."

1971: Legendary rock promoter Bill Graham closes the Fillmore East, the New York version of his equally legendary San Francisco "rock ballroom." The Allman Brothers, The Beach Boys, Edgar Winter, and Country Joe McDonald are on the bill for the final show.

1976: After years of fighting deportation from a government that objected to his public radicalism, John Lennon finally gets his "green card" allowing him to stay in the United States.

1978: Kansas, the band, is named the first musical Ambassadors of Goodwill by UNICEF.

1989: Tom Jones is awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6608 Hollywood Blvd.

The Who perform their rock opera Tommy in its entirety for the first time since 1972, performing it for charity at Radio City Music Hall.

1991: At Liverpool Cathedral, the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra performs Paul McCartney's first classical composition, Liverpool Oratorio.

Carlos Santana is arrested in Houston after airport officials find marijuana in his luggage.

1998: Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, and Bryan Adams become the first three honorees to be awarded a star on Canada's new Walk of Fame on Toronto's King Street.

2000: The Rolling Stones are found in copyright violation of Robert Johnson's "Love In Vain" and "Stop Breaking Down," both of which the Stones had covered and incorrectly labeled as in the public domain.

2003: Cat Stevens is given a cash settlement by members of the Flaming Lips after they acknowledge their song "Flight Test" is similar to Stevens' 1970 song "Father And Son."

Releases

1964: Jan and Dean, "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena"

Recording

1949: Gene Autry, "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer"
1961: Roy Orbison, "Candy Man"
1963: Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, "Bad To Me"
1968: The Beatles, "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey"

Charts

1960: Connie Francis' "Everybody's Somebody's Fool" hits #1
1964: Peter and Gordon's "A World Without Love" hits #1
1964: The Drifters' "Under The Boardwalk" enters the charts
1970: The Jackson 5's "The Love You Save" hits #1

Certifications

1962: ZZ Top's LP Fandango! is certified gold

On June 28th in music history:

Births

1902: Richard Rodgers
1924: George Morgan
1936: Cathy Carr
1943: Bobby Harrison (Procol Harum)
1945: Dave Knights (Procol Harum)

Events

1957: Jerry Lee Lewis makes his US television debut, performing "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On on NBC's Steve Allen Show and making himself a superstar overnight.

1965: Dick Clark's latest rock n' roll variety show, Where The Action Is, premieres on ABC-TV, featuring performances by Jan & Dean, Dee Dee Sharp and Linda Scott, and also introducing a new house band called Paul Revere and the Raiders. Meanwhile, over on CBS, influential DJ Murray The K's variety special It's What's Happening, Baby! features performances by The Supremes, The Ronettes, The Drifters, The Miracles, The Temptations, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Martha and the Vandellas, The Righteous Brothers, Tom Jones, The Dave Clark Five, Patti Labelle and the Bluebelles, and Gary Lewis and the Playboys.

1968: At NBC Studios in Hollywood, Elvis Presley tapes the "gospel medley" portion of what would later be known as his "'68 Comeback Special," as well as a controversial "bordello" scene that was never broadcast: NBC censors had no objections, but the sponsor, Singer Sewing Machines, didn't want to upset viewers.

Aretha Franklin is featured on the cover of Time magazine, under a banner headed "The Sound Of Soul."

1973: Helen Reddy begins her own NBC-TV "summer replacement" series called, naturally enough, The Helen Reddy Show.

Following its highly successful "Fifties revival" oldies show the year before, Madison Square Garden holds a British Invasion-themed version, featuring Gerry and the Pacemakers, Herman's Hermits, The Searchers, and Wayne Fontana.

1975: Tim Buckley gives what is to be his last concert in Dallas, tragically overdosing on heroin and morphine the next day.

1980: Roy Orbison begins an amazing Eighties comeback by making the country music charts with "That Lovin' You Feeling Again," a duet with Emmylou Harris.

1988: Berry Gordy sells Motown to MCA for $61 million, effectively ending the golden era of independent record label ownership.

1990: At today's concert in Liverpool, Paul McCartney plays John Lennon-written Beatles songs for the first time: "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Help!" and Lennon's solo "Give Peace A Chance."

1993: Wilson Pickett pleads guilty to drunk driving in New Jersey after hitting an elderly pedestrian in April of the previous year. He is sentenced to a year in jail and five years' probation, as well as a $5,000 fine and 200 hours of community service.

1997: George Harrison secretly undergoes surgery to have a cancerous lump removed from his throat. Though it turns out to be benign, the ex-Beatle will eventually succumb to the disease in 2001.

Releases

1965: The Beach Boys, Summer Days (And Summer Nights!)
1969: Crosby, Stills & Nash, Crosby, Stills & Nash
1969: Neil Diamond, "Sweet Caroline"
1972: Pink Floyd, Obscured By Clouds
1975: David Bowie, "Fame"

Recording

1962: The Drifters, "Up On The Roof"
1966: Elvis Presley, "There Is So Much World To See"
1968: The Beatles, "Good Night"

Charts

1969: Henry Mancini's "Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet" hits #1
1975: The Eagles' LP One Of These Nights hits #1

Certifications

1968: The Rascals' "A Beautiful Morning" is certified gold

On June 29th in music history:

Births

1901: Nelson Eddy
1910: Frank Loesser
1911: Bernard Herrmann
1922: Elmer J. "Mousey" Alexander
1922: Ralph Burns
1935: Leonard Lee (Shirley and Lee)
1938: Billy Storm (The Valiants, The Alley Cats)
1940: L. Russell Brown
1942: Gilberto Gil
1943: Roger Ruskin Spear (The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band)
1945: Little Eva
1947: Carlo Santanna (Paper Lace)
1948: Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
1948: Derv Gordon (The Equals)
1948: Lincoln Gordon (The Equals)
1954: Billy Hinsche (Dino, Desi and Billy)
1960: Evelyn "Champagne" King

Deaths

1969: Shorty Long
1975: Tim Buckley
1979: Lowell George (Little Feat)
1998: Horst Jankowski
2002: Rosemary Clooney
2007: George McCorkle (Marshall Tucker Band)

Events

1957: The government of Iran officially bans rock and roll after declaring rock dancing "as harmful to health." The ban would stay in place until the 1990s.

1959: Dick Clark announces his first series of four "Caravan of Stars" concerts over the course of the next year, with his first being headlined by the Skyliners of "Since I Don't Have You" fame.

1966: Neil Diamond makes his first television appearance on ABC-TV's American Bandstand, performing his hit "Cherry, Cherry."

1967: Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones is sentenced to three months in jail and lead singer Mick Jagger to a full year after a raid of Richards' home in February turned up cannabis residue. After a public outpouring of sympathy, including a famous essay in the London Times defending the pair ("Who Breaks A Butterfly Upon A Wheel?" July 1, 1967), Richards' charges are dropped and Jagger's reduced to probation.

While on tour with the Hollies, Graham Nash writes a song called "Marrakesh Express," which will later find a home (and a hit) with his new band, Crosby Stills and Nash.

1969: The Jimi Hendrix Experience play their last gig together at the Denver Pop Festival.

1970: NBC-TV presents the Liza Minnelli special Liza, also starring songwriters Anthony Newley, Jimmy Webb, and Randy Newman.

1973: Deep Purple "Mark II," the most famous incarnation of the band, comes to an end after tonight's show in Osaka, Japan, with lead singer Ian Gillan and bassist Roger Glover abruptly quitting the group.

1974: Neil Peart replaces John Rutsey as the drummer for Rush.

1975: Elton John appears onstage with the Doobie Brothers in Oakland, CA, for an impromptu duet on the Doobies hit "Listen To The Music."

1976: The Memphis City Council votes to change Elvis' home street, Highway 51 South, to "Elvis Presley Boulevard."

1978: While driving with his girlfriend in the Bahamas, Peter Frampton crashes and severely injures himself, breaking his arm, cracking several ribs, causing a concussion, and cutting short his rise to superstardom as he mends in a local hospital for months.

1985: New York's Cooper-Hewitt museum fetches a record $2,299,000 for John Lennon's "Roller," a 1965 Rolls Royce Phantom V painted groovy psychedelic colors by Apple associates The Fool.

In order to create a new single as part of the massive Live Aid series of concerts, Mick Jagger and David Bowie rush into a recording studio and produce their hit cover of Martha and the Vandellas' "Dancing In The Street" in under 12 hours. As with the concerts, all proceeds go to feed victims of the Ethiopian hunger crisis.

1988: Brenda Richie, wife of former Commodore and current solo star Lionel, is arrested for assault after allegedly striking her husband after finding him in bed with another woman. She is later released on $5,000 bail.

1994: Barbra Streisand sets a new record after grossing $16 million for a series of Madison Square Garden comeback shows.

1995: Ringo Starr's first-ever TV commercial, for Pizza Hut, debuts in the US, as does a similar spot by the newly-reformed Monkees.

1998: George Harrison shocks the world with an announcement that he is currently undergoing chemotherapy for throat cancer, assuring his fans that he's fine and that "I'm not going to die on you folks just yet." Harrison would succumb to the disease three years later.

1999: Former teen heartthrob Leif Garrett is arrested in Los Angeles for possession of cocaine.

2000: The casket holding Lynyrd Skynyrd lead singer Ronnie Van Zandt is stolen from its mausoleum in Jacksonville, FL, but left after vandals were unable to open it; member Steve Gaines' ashes are spilled from his urn, which is also stolen.

2001: Dream A Little Dream: The Almost-True Story Of The Mamas And The Papas, a stage musical penned by former Papas member Denny Doherty, premieres in Toronto.

Releases

1959: Elvis Presley, "A Big Hunk O' Love"
1963: Elvis Presley, "(You're The) Devil In Disguise"
1968: Pink Floyd, A Saucerful Of Secrets

Recording

1956: Johnnie Ray, "Just Walking In The Rain"
1957: Buddy Holly, "Peggy Sue"
1966: Elvis Presley: "Double Trouble," "I Love Only One Girl," "It Won't Be Long," "Long Legged Girl"
1968: Elvis Presley: Live Studio Performances for "'68 Comeback Special" ("Standup Show"): "Heartbreak Hotel," "Hound Dog," "One Night," "All Shook Up," "Can't Help Falling In Love," "Jailhouse Rock," "Don't Be Cruel," "Blue Suede Shoes," "Love Me Tender," Intro: "Trouble / Guitar Man," "If I Can Dream""Double Trouble," "I Love Only One Girl," "It Won't Be Long," "Long Legged Girl"

Charts

1968: Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" enters the charts
1974: Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" hits #1

On June 30th in music history:

Births

1917: Lena Horne
1928: June Valli
1941: Larry Henley (The Newbeats)
1943: Florence Ballard (The Supremes)
1943: Glenn Shorrock (Little River Band)
1946: Billy Brown (The Moments)
1949: Andrew Scott (Sweet)
1951: Stanley Clarke

Deaths

2000: Cub Koda (Brownsville Station)
2001: Chet Atkins
2006: Syd Barrett (Pink Floyd)

Events

1922: Eck Robertson and Henry Gilliland enter Victor Studio in New York to record what would later be considered the first country music session.
1939: Frank Sinatra makes his first stage appearance with the Harry James orchestra, performing at Baltimore's Hippodrome Theatre.
1965: Elvis Presley's 18th film, Tickle Me, is released.
1966: The Beatles perform the first of three concerts at Tokyo's Budokan Hall, the only shows they would ever perform in that country.
1968: Elvis Presley films the final performance of his Singer Presents TV special, later known as the "'68 Comeback Special," by nailing the finale "If I Can Dream," in just five takes.
1971: Legendary promoter Bill Graham closes San Francisco's equally legendary ballroom, The Fillmore West.
1975: The Jackson 5 leave Motown for Epic Records, changing their name to "The Jacksons" for legal reasons and adding a sixth Jackson, littlest brother Randy.
Just four days after her divorce from Sonny Bono, Cher marries Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers. Cher files for divorce from her new marriage just nine days later, but reconsiders; the tempestuous relationship staggers on for another three years, divorcing for real in January 1979.
David Bowie begins filming his starring role in the alien film The Man Who Fell To Earth.
1976: Los Angeles police respond to what they claim is a report of burglary at Neil Diamond's house, conducting a search for illegal drugs in the process and finding less than one ounce of marijuana. A shocked Neil nonetheless presents the officers with several free copies of his latest album, Beautiful Noise.
1977: Gene Simmons of KISS agrees to let Marvel publish a comic book about the band.
1981: Jerry Lee Lewis is rushed to the hospital with a bleeding ulcer, which doctors discover is over two inches wide.
1983: The Everly Brothers announce their comeback, promoting their upcoming Albert Hall concert in London, the brothers' first since their acrimonious public split in 1973.
1985: John Lennon's famous psychedelically-painted Phantom V Rolls Royce is sold at Sotheby's in New York for a cool $2 million.
1990: Chuck Berry's St. Louis estate and amusement park, Berryland, is raided by local police after female guests discover they've been recorded by a camera Berry has hidden in the ladies' bathroom. Cops seize the tapes, as well as marijuana and several unlicensed guns. Berry is given a six-month suspended sentence, two years of probation, and fined $5,000.
1999: The "Eric Clapton and Friends" concert, a benefit to raise money for the guitarist's Crossroads rehab center, is held at Madison Square Garden, featuring appearances by Sheryl Crow and Mary J. Blige, as well as a duet with Bob Dylan on the song "Crossroads."
2004: Dave Davies, guitarist brother of Ray and half of the guiding force behind the Kinks, suffers a stroke while at a signing in London, paralyzing the entire right side of his body. He returned to performing in 2010.

Releases

1963: James Brown, Live at the Apollo, Vol. 1

Recording

1966: The Supremes, "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
1966: Elvis Presley: "Could I Fall In Love," "Old MacDonald"

Charts

1955: Little Richard's "Rip It Up" hits #1 R&B
1958: The Coasters' "Yakety Yak" hits #1 R&B
1973: George Harrison's "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)" hits #1
1979: Anita Ward's "Ring My Bell" hits #1

Certifications

1971: Paul Revere and the Raiders' "Indian Reservation” is certified gold
1975: The Eagles album One Of These Nights is certified gold

On July 1st in music history:

Births

1899: Thomas A. Dorsey
1915: Willie Dixon
1928: Bobby Day
1939: Delaney Bramlett (Delaney and Bonnie)
1946: June Montiero (The Toys)
1948: John Ford (The Strawbs)
1960: Evelyn "Champagne" King

Deaths

1979: Lee Jackson (The Nice)
1981: Rushton Moreve (Steppenwolf)
1995: Wolfman Jack
1999: Guy Mitchell
1999: Dennis Brown
2003: Herbie Mann
2005: Renaldo "Obie" Benson (The Four Tops)

Events

1897: The trade paper Billboard Advertising renames itself The Billboard.

1956: NBC's Steve Allen Show capitalizes on the outrage engendered by Elvis Presley's recent version of "Hound Dog" on The Milton Berle Show by winkingly presenting a new, "clean" Elvis, dressed in a tuxedo and singing "Hound Dog" to an actual basset hound perched on a stool. Backstage, a humiliated Elvis explodes in fury at the Colonel for agreeing to the stunt. The next day, however, fans protest the show, demanding "The REAL Elvis."

An 11-year-old Brenda Lee signs her first recording contract with Decca Records.

1962: Gene Vincent plays the Cavern Club in Liverpool, opening for a house band called The Beatles.

1964: Married only four days before, Michael Nesmith leaves his San Antonio home to make a name for himself as a folk singer in Los Angeles.

1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono, along with his son Julian and her daughter Kyoko, are injured in a car crash near Golspie, Scotland. John gets 17 stitches in his face while Yoko has 14; soon, he will bring a cot into Abbey Road studios so she can rest comfortably while he records "Come Together."

Legendary producer Sam Phillips sells his Sun Records Studio in Memphis.

1970: Jimi Hendrix' Electric Ladyland Studios in New York are opened for the first time.

Casey Kasem begins his weekly Billboard countdown on the nationally syndicated radio showAmerican Top 40.

1975: Ringo Starr divorces his first wife Maureen Cox after a decade of marriage.

1976: Connie Francis is awarded $2.5 million from the motel where she was sexually assaulted two years earlier.

1998: In her Malibu home, Barbra Streisand marries her second husband, actor James Brolin.

2008: The BBC broadcasts an unseen film interview with John Lennon and Paul McCartney that had been discovered languishing in a London garage.

2009: Michael Jackson's untimely death a week earlier sends all his albums back into the BillboardTop Ten, including, at #5, The Jackson 5's Ultimate Collection.

Releases

1969: The Doors, The Soft Parade
1973: Bob Dylan, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
1974: Bob Marley and the Wailers, Burnin'

Recording

1935: Benny Goodman, "King Porter Stomp"
1956: Brenda Lee, "Jambalaya"
1959: Dave Brubeck, "Take Five"
1963: The Beatles: "She Loves You," "I'll Get You"
1968: The Beatles, "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey"
1969: The Beatles, "You Never Give Me Your Money"

Charts

1967: The Association's "Windy" hits #1
1967: The Beatles' LP Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band hits #1
1967: The Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" enters the charts
1972: Neil Diamond's "Song Sung Blue" hits #1

Certifications

1965: The Beatles' LP Beatles VI is certified gold
1971: Jethro Tull's LP Aqualung is certified gold

Elvis-Milton.jpg?t=1341117598

On July 2nd in music history:

Births

1925: Marvin Rainwater
1934: Tom Springfield (The Springfields)
1939: Paul Williams (The Temptations)
1942: Leapy Lee
1945: Peter Cruickshank (The Groundhogs)
1948: Gene McFadden (McFadden and Whitehead)
1949: Roy Bittan (The E Street Band)
1950: Duncan Mackay (Cockney Rebel)
1951: Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)

Events

1955: ABC-TV premieres a new musical variety program called Dodge Dancing Party, which had already been airing locally in Los Angeles for four years; it would later be retitled The Lawrence Welk Show after its bandleader and host.

1958: Elvis Presley's fourth movie, King Creole, opens in US theaters, though Elvis himself is currently stationed in Germany with the US Army.

1962: Jim Reeves records what would be his last songs for RCA before his fatal plane crash just over one month later.

After breaking his ankle during a jump with the 101st Airborne, James (later Jimi) Hendrix receives an honorary discharge from the US Army.

1966: While touring in Japan, the Beatles wire EMI their choice for the next album title: Revolver.

1967: Rick Nelson's new TV series, Malibu U, premieres on ABC-TV. It is not a hit.

1969: Leslie West forms Mountain, named after his recent solo album.

Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell leave the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

1973: After endless disputes with leader Bryan Ferry over the direction of the group, keyboardist Brian Eno leaves Roxy Music.

1976: After twelve years of staying at home while the band tours, Beach Boy resident genius Brian Wilson finally joins his band onstage at a gig in Anaheim, CA. Though he mostly stares at the piano in front of him, he does sing lead on the group's rendition of "In My Room."

1979: The Walkman, the world's first portable cassette player, is introduced by Sony.

1980: The Grateful Dead's Bob Weir and Mickey Hart, along with manager Danny Rifken, are arrested in San Diego after allegedly interfering with a drug bust during the band's concert there.

1986: For the first time, Bob Dylan joins The Grateful Dead onstage for a rendition of his own "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" at a gig in Akron, OH.

1992: Mick Jagger becomes a grandfather with the birth of Assisi Lola Jackson by his daughter Jade.

2001: Liverpool Airport is renamed John Lennon Airport in honor of its native son, sporting a new logo that features a Lennon self-portrait and the words "Above Us Only Sky" from his solo song "Imagine."

2005: The Live 8 concerts are held simultaneously all over the world to benefit impoverished African nations, featuring performances by Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Brian Wilson, Chuck Berry, Neil Young, Paul McCartney, The Who, and a reunited Pink Floyd, among dozens of others.

Recording

1956: Elvis Presley: "Hound Dog," "Don't Be Cruel," "Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)"
1961: Elvis Presley: "Angel," "Follow That Dream," "What A Wonderful Life," "I'm Not The Marrying Kind"
"Make the World Go Away", "Missing You", and "Is It Really Over?" When the session ended with some time left on the schedule, Jim suggested that he record one more song. He taped "I Can't Stop Loving You" 1968: The Beatles, "Good Night"
1969: The Beatles: "Her Majesty," "Golden Slumbers," "Carry That Weight"

Charts

1966: Frank Sinatra's "Strangers In The Night" hits #1
1977: Bill Conti's "Gonna Fly Now (Theme From Rocky)" hits #1

On July 3rd in music history:

Births

1878: George M. Cohan
1929: David Lynch (The Platters)
1930: Pete Fountain
1930: Tommy Tedesco
1940: Fontella Bass
1943: Judith Durham (The Seekers)
1946: Victor Unitt (Edgar Broughton Band)
1948: Paul Barrere (Little Feat)
1949: Johnnie Wilder (Heatwave)
1950: Damon Harris (The Temptations)
1955: Mike Corby (The Babys)

Deaths

1969: Brian Jones (The Rolling Stones)
1971: Jim Morrison (The Doors)
1972: Mississippi Fred McDowell
1973: Laurens Hammond
2001: Johnny Russell
2005: Audrey Brickley (The Orlons)
2007: Boots Randolph
2008: Colin Cooper (The Climax Blues Band)

Events

1953: Calypso singing sensation Harry Belafonte appears on the cover of Ebony with Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis, who star in his latest film -- notable as the first time white and black Americans were featured together on a US magazine cover.

1956: Returning to Memphis after his disastrous Steve Allen Show appearance, Elvis Presley meets Gene Vincent at Pennsylvania Station in New York and congratulates him on his success with the Elvis soundalike hit "Be-Bop-A-Lula."

1965: Marking the end of an era, TV singing cowboy Roy Rogers bids farewell to his trusty horse, Trigger, who passed away at the ripe old age of 33. The animal is stuffed and put in Rogers' museum.

1967: Brian Epstein's NEMS Enterprises, who are handling the Monkees' first UK tour, hold a party for the group at London's Speakeasy Club, featuring Beatles John, Paul and George along with their girlfriends/wives. Also in attendance: Dusty Springfield, The Who, Procol Harum, Manfred Mann, Lulu, and Eric Clapton. The events will inspire Monkee Micky Dolenz to write the 1967 UK hit "Randy Scouse Git."

1968: Joni Mitchell hosts a get-together for her musician friends at her home in Los Angeles' Laurel Canyon; there, guests David Crosby of the Byrds, Stephen Stills of Buffalo Springfield, and Graham Nash of the Hollies start up an informal jam session which leads directly to the formation of Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

1973: At the end of his Hammersmith Odeon concert with the Spiders From Mars, David Bowie announces the first of his many "retirements" from the stage.

1975: Three Dog Night suffers a fatal blow when singer and defacto leader Chuck Negron is arrested in his Louisville, KY hotel room for cocaine possession. The charges would later be dropped, but the resulting tension between the band members would help destroy the group.

1981: Rolling Stone bassist Bill Wyman actually becomes the first Stone to get a solo #1 when his single "(Si Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star" tops the UK charts.

1986: Teddy Pendergrass suffers another debilitating car crash when his handicap-accessible van hits a telephone pole in Philadelphia.

2002: Elton John becomes the first performer to be granted an honorary Doctorate from England's Royal Academy of Music.

2009: A half-century after his untimely demise, Los Angeles officially declares today Ritchie Valens Day.

Releases

1957: Ray Charles, Ray Charles
1959: The Shirelles, "Dedicated To The One I Love"

Recording

1941: Cab Calloway and His Orchestra, "St. James Infirmary"
1968: The Beatles, "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"
1969: The Beatles, "Golden Slumbers," "Carry That Weight"

Certifications

1973: Clint Holmes' "Playground In My Mind" is certified gold

On July 4th in music history:

Births

1826: Stephen Foster
1911: Mitch Miller
1937: Ray Pillow
1938: Bill Withers
1940: Dave Rowberry (The Animals)
1943: Al Wilson (Canned Heat)
1944: Harvey Brooks (The Electric Flag)
1947: Jacques Morali
1948: Jeremy Spencer (Fleetwood Mac)
1951: Ralph Johnson (Earth, Wind and Fire)
1952: John Waite (The Babys)

Deaths

2003: Barry White
2007: Bill Pinkney (The Drifters)
2009: Drake Levin (Paul Revere and the Raiders)
2009: Allen Klein

Events

1832: The song "America ("My Country Tis Of Thee") is performed for the first time in Boston at the Park Street Church. Dr. Samuel Francis Smith, adapting the tune from a German song, would later realize he'd inadvertently plagiarized the British national anthem, "God Save The Queen."

1895: A poem entitled "America The Beautiful," written by Katharine Lee Bates and later adapted into a famous song of the same name, is published for the first time in the religious periodical The Congregationalist.

1958: Buddy Holly drives his new Lincoln Continental to Angola, Indiana to kick off the Crickets' first Summer Dance Party tour.

1962: Chris Blackwell launches Island Records.

1964: The Rolling Stones cause a stir with their appearance on the hit BBC show Juke Box Jury, cutting up, looking bored, using crude language, and trashing most of the records up for review.

1966: The Beatles play Manila, performing before a total of 80,000 Filipinos during two concerts at Rizal Memorial Football Stadium. President Ferdinand Marcos, however, feeling the band has snubbed him by not showing up for a planned visit with the first family, publicly denounces the Beatles, leading to outrage among the Philippine public. Turns out the group had never been informed of the invitation, but the damage is done: manager Brian Epstein's public apology is censored on local TV, and Marcos pulls all police protection from the group, forcing them to be besieged by angry mobs as they head for the airport the next day. After also being extorted by government authorities for a large portion of their concert receipts, The Beatles leave the country, vowing never to return.

1969: The two-day Atlanta Pop Festival begins in Hampton, GA, featuring Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Chuck Berry, Chicago, Canned Heat, Joe Cocker, Blood Sweat & Tears, Johnny Winter, Delaney and Bonnie, Spirit, Paul Butterfield, and a new band called Grand **** Railroad, who would be signed after a Capitol Records rep catches their act.

1970: The first American Top 40 radio show, hosted by Casey Kasem, is broadcast on a grand total of seven radio stations.

1974: Elvis Presley opens his new Tennessee Karate Institute with an hour-and-a-half long karate demonstration featuring the King and karate master Ed Parker. Portions of this demonstration will later be included in the documentary This Is Elvis.

Steely Dan become a studio-only band, playing their final show in Santa Monica, CA. (They would eventually tour again after reuniting in 1992.)

Barry White marries his second wife, backup vocalist Glodean James of his own discovery, the girl group Love Unlimited.

1976: Paul Revere of the Raiders marries his second wife, Sandra Campbell, on America's Bicentennial at King's Island Amusement Park in Cincinnati, OH.

1980: The Beach Boys perform their first free concert on the mall in Washington DC to a crowd of half a million. Three years later to the day, Wayne Newton replaces the group for the annual concert after James Watt, Secretary of the Interior for the Reagan Administration, notoriously claims the squeaky-clean group would attract a "bad element." One year later, still banned, the Boys play the annual free concert in Miami with Ringo Starr as guest drummer; finally in 1985, Jimmy Page joins the group onstage for their triumphant return to the White House celebration. (The next year, however, the Boys play the free concert in Philadelphia, with Mr. T inexplicably sitting in on drums.)

1982: Diana Ross begins her first world tour as a solo act by playing Giants Stadium in New Jersey, with Miles Davis opening.

Ozzy Osbourne marries his second wife, manager Sharon Arden.

1987: Bob Dylan begins a historic joint tour with the Grateful Dead At Foxboro Stadium in Massachusetts.

1992: "Papa" John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas is the recipient of a liver transplant at Los Angeles County General.

2001: A US Federal judge orders the file-sharing service Napster to cease and desist all operations immediately.

Releases

1976: Elton John and Kiki Dee, "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"

Recording

1968: The Beatles, "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da"
1969: The Beatles: "Golden Slumbers," "Carry That Weight"

Charts

1953: Eddie Fisher's "I'm Walking Behind You" hits #1
1964: The Beach Boys' "I Get Around" hits #1
1970: Alive and Kicking's "Tighter and Tighter" enters the charts

America-the-Beautiful.jpg

America-the-Beautiful-quarters-grand-can

AmericatheBeautiful.jpg?t=1341379221

America-The-Beautiful1.jpg

6a00d83451c49a69e200e553a1a20c8834-800wi

On July 5th in music history:

Births

1920: Smiley Lewis
1938: Snuff Garrett
1941: Terry Cashman (The Buchanan Brothers, Cashman and West)
1943: Robbie Robertson (The Band)
1945: Dick Scoppettone (Harper's Bizarre)
1948: Cassie Gaines (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
1950: Andy Ellison (John's Children)
1950: Michael Monarch (Steppenwolf)

Deaths

1982: Bill Justis
1983: Harry James
2001: Ernie K-Doe
2005: Shirley Goodman (Shirley and Lee, Shirley and Company)

Events

1954: While running through several unsuccessful songs with his backup band, an 18-year-old Elvis Presley, clowning around in a Sun Studios session, begins to sing Arthur Crudup's recent R&B hit, "That's All Right, Mama." Although Elvis doesn't think his rendition is anything special, producer Sam Phillips, who'd been scouting for just the right sound for his young protege, stops dead. "What the hell was that?" he inquires. "We don't know," came Elvis' reply. "Well, do it again," insists Sam. The resulting single was Elvis' first regional hit; rock historians point to it as the possible birth of rock and roll music, or at the very least the first true merging of country, blues, and pop styles. Upon hearing the playback, lead guitarist Scotty Moore declares, "They'll run us out of town when they hear this." With the rest of the session, Elvis and his band (Moore and Bill Black) record two more conventional songs, the ballads "Harbor Lights" and "I Love You Because."

1956: Doubleday publishes the autobiography of Billie Holiday, entitled Lady Sings the Blues.

1964: Lyndon B. Johnson, then US President, invites the Four Seasons to perform at a private White House reception.

1965: Today's guest on CBS-TV's panel game show To Tell The Truth is none other than Motown president Berry Gordy, who fools the entire panel.

Marty Balin and Paul Kantner form a folk-rock group they dub the Jefferson Airplane, an homage of sorts to bluesman Blind Lemon Jefferson.

1966: The Animals' Chas Chandler, on a recommendation from Keith Richards' girlfriend, Linda Keith, ventures to New York City's Cheetah Club in order to see an unknown guitarist named Jimmy James. By the end of the night Chandler is Jimi Hendrix's manager.

The Righteous Brothers' Bill Medley enters Cedars-Sinai hospital in Los Angeles to have nodes on his vocal cords removed.

1968: Promoter Bill Graham converts the Carousel, a venue in San Francisco, into the world's first "rock ballroom," the Fillmore (West).

1969: Two days after the drowning death of Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones, a free concert at London's Hyde Park that was intended as a showcase for his replacement, Mick Taylor, becomes an impromptu memorial. The band opens with one of Jones' favorite songs, Johnny Winter's "I'm Yours and I'm Hers"; later, Mick Jagger reads selections from Percy Shelley's elegy "Adonais" and the band releases 3,500 (mostly dead) butterflies into the crowd.

1974: The redecoration that turned Elvis Presley's mansion, "Graceland," into a testament to excess begins today, with the "Jungle Room" being created from green carpet.

1975: Pink Floyd perform their new album, Wish You Were Here, live for the first time at England's Knebworth Festival, in a technically-plagued show that featured fireworks, a flyover by a pair of real Spitfire planes, and a model plane that crashes dramatically into the stage.

1978: The cover of the Rolling Stones' new album Some Girls, is halted mid-production when the band is sued by several celebrities, Lucille Ball among them; the cover, which featured famous faces (and the band in drag) inset inside an old magazine ad for wigs, hadn't been cleared with any of its subjects.

1984: The Everly Brothers begin their much-anticipated reunion tour in Cincinnati, playing onstage together for the first time since 1973.

Releases

1965: Wilson Pickett, "In The Midnight Hour"
1968: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Creedence Clearwater Revival
1972: Three Dog Night, "Liar"
1975: Bad Company, "Feel Like Making Love"

Recording

1958: Ray Charles, Ray Charles At Newport
1961: Ray Charles: "Hit The Road, Jack," "Unchain My Heart"
1964: Them, "Gloria"
1965: The Four Tops, "It's The Same Old Song"

Charts

1952: Percy Faith's "Delicado" hits #1
1969: Tony Joe White's "Polk Salad Annie" enters the charts
1969: Kenny Rogers and the First Edition's "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town" enters the charts

rolling-stones-some-girls-x.jpg?t=134146

On July 6th in music history:

Births

1915: LaVerne Andrews (The Andrews Sisters)
1925: Bill Haley (Bill Haley and his Comets)
1931: Della Reese
1937: Gene Chandler
1939: Jet Harris (The Shadows)
1940: Dave Rowberry (The Animals)
1945: Rik Elswit (Dr. Hook)
1949: Mike Shrieve (Santana)
1952: David Smith (The Real Thing)

Deaths

1971: Louis Armstrong
1979: Van McCoy
1998: Roy Rogers
2004: Syreeta Wright
2010: Harvey Fuqua (The Moonglows)

Events

1954: Dewey Phillips, influential DJ at Memphis' WHBQ, is given an acetate of "That's All Right," the latest release from Sun Records, featuring a young singer named Elvis Presley. Phillips loves the song and begins playing it immediately, in heavy rotation; when fellow DJ Wink Martindale hears the record, he, like everyone else in Memphis, assumes Presley is black. A year later to the day, "That's All Right Mama" becomes Elvis' first national hit, going to #10 on the Country charts.

1957: The Liverpool, England skiffle group The Quarrymen, led by a 16-year-old named John Lennon, perform at the Woolton Parish Church Fete. Before the band's night show, John's friend (and Quarrymen bassist) Ivan Vaughan introduces Lennon to a schoolmate named Paul McCartney, 15. Paul wins John over on the spot by performing Gene Vincent's "Be Bop A Lula" and Eddie Cochran's "Twenty Flight Rock" on John's guitar. When a somewhat inebriated John mentions that he has trouble remembering the lyrics to both, Paul, who is equally impressed with John's stage presence, writes the lyrics down on the spot. Paul seals the deal by showing him how to tune his guitar; John hires him for the Quarrymen on the spot.

1961: The first issue of the highly influential Liverpool fanzine Mersey Beat is published.

Elvis Presley arrives in Crystal River, FL, to begin location filming on his next movie, tentatively titled Pioneer Go Home and eventually released as his ninth picture, Follow That Dream.

1963: The New York Mets attempt to attract a younger crowd by hiring Chubby Checker and Dee Dee Sharp to play before games.

1964: A charity premiere of the Beatles' first film, A Hard Day's Night, is held at London's Pavilion Theatre, with crowds lining up a full twelve hours early to buy tickets. The band themselves attend the premiere, and the reception afterward at the Dorchester Hotel with British royalty, but don't actually get to see the film themselves for four more days.

1966: Paul Jones, lead singer of Manfred Mann, leaves the group for a solo career and is replaced by Mike D'Abo.

The Rolling Stones play the War Memorial Hall in Syracuse, NY, and in what is almost certainly a publicity stunt orchestrated by their manager, are accused of dragging the American flag across the stage during the event.

1967: Pink Floyd make their television debut, appearing on BBC's Top Of The Pops to promote their second single, "See Emily Play."

Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones, on trial for drug possession, is hospitalized for what the press reports as "strain and fatigue." He would drown one year later, almost to the day.

1968: At the peak of their popularity, Simon and Garfunkel albums occupy three spots in the Top 10: Bookends and The Graduate soundtrack at #1 and #2, and Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thymeat #10.

1969: Having suffered a car crash in Scotland a few days before, John Lennon, Yoko Ono and her daughter by a first marriage, Kyoko, are released from the hospital.

Mick Jagger flies to Australia, along with girlfriend Marianne Faithfull, to begin filming his starring role in the outlaw drama Ned Kelly.

1971: The Carpenters get their first summer variety series, NBC-TV's Make Your Own Kind Of Music.

1978: Tammy Wynette marries her fifth and final husband, George Richey.

1984: Los Angeles mayor Tom Bradley officially declares today "Tina Turner Day."

All six Jackson brothers perform together for the first time as the Jacksons kick off their massive, 55-date Victory Tour in Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO.

1988: Kris Kristofferson apologizes publicly after a plaque given to him by a Vietnam veterans group for a charity performance is found, two days later, in a garbage can.

Releases

1964: The Supremes, "Where Did Our Love Go?"
1970: Edwin Starr, "War"
1973: Queen, "Keep Yourself Alive"

Recording

1937: Benny Goodman, "Sing, Sing, Sing"
1954: Elvis Presley, "Blue Moon Of Kentucky"
1967: Jackie Wilson, "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher"

Charts

1963: The Essex's "Easier Said Than Done" hits #1
1963: Barbara Lewis' "Hello Stranger" hits #1 R&B
1974: The Hues Corporation's "Rock The Boat" hits #1
1974: Paul McCartney and Wings' album Band On The Run hits #1

On July 7th in music history:

Births

1924: Mary Ford
1937: Tommy Dee
1940: Ringo Starr
1944: Warren Entner (Grass Roots)
1945: Jim Rodford (Argent)
1950: David Hodo (The Village People)

Deaths

2006: Syd Barrett (Pink Floyd)
2000: Fred Neil (writer, "Everybody's Talkin'")

Events

1956: A riot breaks out at a Fats Domino concert in San Jose, CA, with twelve injured.

Johnny Cash makes his first appearance on the Grand Old Opry show in Nashville.

Elvis Presley's 18th film, Tickle Me, opens in the US.

1968: The folk trio Peter, Paul, and Mary appear as the "mystery guest" on CBS-TV's What's My Line?

The Yardbirds disband immediately after a gig in Luton, England.

1971: Bjorn Ulvaeus and Agnetha Faltskog of ABBA are married in Verum, Sweden.

The Carpenters debut their variety summer replacement series, Make Your Own Kind Of Music, on NBC.

1975: The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards is arrested in Arkansas for reckless driving and firearm possession.

1989: Compact discs begin to outsell vinyl records for the first time.

1998: Along with his financial partner Don Barden, Michael Jackson announces plans to build an entertainment complex in Detroit called "The Majestic Kingdom." It never materializes.

2001: The Pointer Sisters' June Pointer completes her court-ordered rehab for cocaine.

Releases

1956: The Platters, "My Prayer"
1969: John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band, "Give Peace A Chance"
1973: Paul McCartney and Wings, "Live And Let Die"

Recording

1959: The Everly Brothers, "Till I Kissed You"
1968: Elvis Presley, "Charro"
1969: The Beatles, "Here Comes The Sun"

Charts

1962: David Rose's "The Stripper" hits #1
1973: Billy Preston's "Will It Go Round In Circles" hits #1

Happy 72nd Birthday to Ringo Starr!! [^]

On July 8th in music history:

1908: Louis Jordan
1914: Billy Eckstine
1932: Jerry Vale
1935: Steve Lawrence
1944: Jai Johanny Johanson (Allman Brothers)

Deaths

1988: Nico (Velvet Underground)

Events

1946: After just one year of marriage, actress Ava Gardner divorces bandleader Artie Shaw.

1954: Dewey Phillips of Memphis' WHBQ radio plays a new song, "That's All Right (Mama)," and its flip, "Blue Moon of Kentucky," on his "Red Hot & Blue" R&B show. An instant hit, the song is immediately played 14 more times. Callers to the station insist that the singer, a local boy named Elvis Presley, must be a black man. Elvis himself, who knew of the airplay in advance, hides out at a local movie show, but response is so immediate and positive that Dewey tracks him down for a live radio interview later that evening.

1958: The RIAA awards its first ever gold record for an LP -- for the soundtrack to the film Oklahoma!. ("Gold" albums at that time represented one million dollars in sales.)

1965: The Dave Clark Five's first movie, Having A Wild Weekend, opens in London. (For American audiences, it's entitled Catch Us If You Can, after their hit of the same name.)

1967: In Jacksonville, FL, Jimi Hendrix is invited to open for the Monkees on their latest tour. The band loves him, but the audience , oblivious, keeps screaming for Davy Jones. A frustrated Hendrix leaves the tour a week or so later.

1969: Singer/actress Marianne Faithfull, girlfriend of Mick Jagger, attempts suicide with barbiturates while on the set of the film Ned Kelly (also starring Mick). She eventually recovers, and when awaking from her coma, tells friends that "wild horses couldn't drag me away." The Rolling Stones song "Wild Horses" is built around that phrase.

1970: The Everly Brothers debut their ill-fated summer variety series, The Everly Brothers Show, on ABC-TV.

1978: After a staggering six months at #1, the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is finally bumped off the top spot by Gerry Rafferty's City To City.

1985: Three Dog Night's Chuck Negron is hospitalized in Los Angeles for drug addiction.

1988: Stevie Wonder announces he will run for mayor of Detroit in 1992, but eventually thinks better of it.

1998: Roy Orbison's estate files a suit seeking $12 million in unpaid royalties from Sony, owners of the star's famous Monument label recordings.

The Smithsonian and Library of Congress agree to house the music and film archives of Frank Sinatra.

2002: Michael Jackson unleashes a sudden tirade on the music industry, accusing several music execs of racism and calling Sony head Tommy Mottola in particular "very, very, very devilish."

2003: A tooth from the mouth of Elvis Presley, once the property of former girlfriend Linda Thompson, goes up for auction on eBay. Along with a lock of his hair and a gold record, it fetches over $100,000.

Releases

1978: Exile, "Kiss You All Over"

Recording

1963: Freddie and the Dreamers, "I'm Telling You Now"
1969: The Beatles, "Here Comes The Sun"

Charts

1950: Nat "King" Cole's "Mona Lisa" hits #1
1957: Elvis Presley's "(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear" hits #1
1973: Bill Withers' "Lean On Me" hits #1

On July 9th in music history:

Births

1925: Alan Dale
1927: Ed Ames
1927: Jim McReynolds (Jim & Jesse)
1929: Lee Hazlewood
1941: Don McPherson (Main Ingredient)
1946: Joe Micelli (John Fred and His Playboy Band)
1946: Bon Scott (AC/DC)
1947: John "Mitch" Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience)
1954: Debbie Sledge (Sister Sledge)

Deaths

2006: Milan B. Williams (The Commodores)

Events

1955: Bill Haley and the Comets' "Rock Around The Clock," a minor hit the previous year, lands in the top spot after inclusion in the juvenile delinquent drama The Blackboard Jungle, officially kicking off the rock and roll era. That same day, crooner Pat Boone releases his watered-down version of Fats Domino's #1 R&B hit, "Ain't It A Shame" (now called "Ain't That A Shame").

1956: Dick Clark debuts as the host of Philadelphia's TV dance show on WFIL, then called simply Bandstand, after former host Bob Horn is arrested for DUI. The show, which would go national on ABC the following year, precipitating a name change to American Bandstand, would run for 37 years.

1957: Elvis Presley's second film, Loving You, has its US premiere.

1958: Upset by Sam Phillips' concentration on Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash leaves Sun Records to sign with Columbia.

1968: Co-lead Temptations singer David Ruffin leaves the group due to cocaine abuse, missed shows, financial wrangling with Motown head Berry Gordy, and the group's refusal to change their name to "David Ruffin and the Temptations." Ruffin would soon begin appearing unwanted at Temps concerts and taking the stage to sing the hits he made famous, forcing the group to tighten security.

1966: Rod Allen, lead vocalist and bassist for English group The Fortunes ("You've Got Your Troubles" and "Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again"), is pulled from the stage by frenzied fans during a gig in Lincoln, NE, and sent to the hospital with minor injuries.

1978: After crashing legendary bluesman Willie Dixon's house in Chicago, Dixon takes the Rolling Stones to the local Quiet Night Club to join Muddy Waters and his band onstage and jam with them on several of their favorite Muddy songs, including "Mannish Boy."

1990: The Rolling Stones cancel upcoming performances for the first time in over 26 years after guitarist Keith Richards discovers his inflamed finger has become septic during a show in Glasgow, Scotland.

1999: Elton John checks into London's Wellington hospital to have a pacemaker installed due to an irregular heartbeat.

Mick Jagger's common-law marriage to actress/supermodel Jerry Hall, conducted in Haiti back in 1990, is annulled.

Recording

1957: Bobby Helms, "My Special Angel"
1959: The Drifters, "Dance With Me"
1969: The Beatles, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"

Charts

1955: Bill Haley and the Comets' "Rock Around the Clock" hits #1
1977: Alan O'Day's "(Undercover Angel" hits #1