On June 2nd in music history:

Births

1932: Sammy Turner
1934: Johnny Carter (The Flamingos)
1936: Otis Williams (The Charms)
1937: Jimmy Jones
1938: Lawrence Payton (The Four Tops)
1939: Charles Miller (War)
1941: Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones)
1941: William Guest (Gladys Knight and the Pips)
1944: Marvin Hamlisch
1949: Anthony Jones (Humble Pie)
1950: Chubby Tavares (Tavares)

Deaths

1998: Helen Carter (The Carter Family)
1999: Junior Braithwaite (Bob Marley and the Wailers)
2002: Boyd Bennett
2008: Bo Diddley

Events

1953: Elvis Presley graduates from Humes High School in Memphis.

1958: Massively influential DJ Alan Freed joins the staff of New York's WABC, where he gets his own weeknight spot.

After wandering the US for a year, 17-year-old Barry Sadler, later of "Ballad of the Green Berets" fame, joins the Air Force. (He wouldn't become an Army Green Beret for a few years.)

1962: "Twist Baby," by Owen Gray, becomes the first 45 issued on the new Island Records label.

1964: The Rolling Stones play their first US gig at a high school in Lynn, MA; that same day, they make their American TV debut on WABC's Les Crane Show in New York.

Gerry and the Pacemakers begin filming their film debut, Ferry Cross The Mersey, also starring Cilla Black.

1972: For the first time since 1960, Dion reunites with his old group, the Belmonts, for an oldies revival show at Madison Square Garden.

1973: Electric Light Orchestra begins their first US tour in San Diego.

1976: Paul McCartney and Wings set a new indoor stadium attendance record of 67,100 at the Seattle Kingdome.

1988: James Brown's wife Adrienne attempts to claim diplomatic immunity on charges of drugged driving, speeding and criminal trespass, invoking her status as the wife of the "Ambassador of Soul." Seriously.

Ex-Temptation David Ruffin is sentenced to two years probation in Detroit for a cocaine possession rap the previous year.

1989: Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman, 52, marries model Mandy Smith, 19, in a secret ceremony. They would divorce two years later.

2002: Jimmy Buffett catches an unexpected gust of wind and crashes his plane into a sign while landing at Palm Beach International Airport in Florida. Unfortunately, he is not injured. <<< I sure hope the "unfortunately" was a typo from my source of info... [:o]

2003: After a public outcry (and legal protests from Yoko Ono), Paul McCartney agrees to drop his mission to have certain Beatles songwriting credits reversed to read "McCartney-Lennon."

2009: Cher sues Universal Music Group on behalf of herself and her late partner Sonny Bono, claiming the label owes them five million in unpaid royalties.

Releases

1956: Gene Vincent and his Blue Caps, "Be-Bop-A-Lula"
1965: James Brown, "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag"
1967: The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
1967: David Bowie, David Bowie

Recording

1964: The Beatles: "Any Time At All," "When I Get Home," "Things We Said Today"
1966: The Beatles, "I Want To Tell You"
1967: The Beatles, "It's All Too Much"
1970: George Harrison, "Isn't It A Pity"
1970: Bob Dylan: "Mary Anne," "Mr. Bojangles"

Charts

1962: Ray Charles' "I Can't Stop Loving You" hits #1
1973: Paul McCartney and Wings' "My Love" hits #1
1973: Paul McCartney and Wings' Red Rose Speedway hits #1
1979: Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" hits #1

Certifications

1964: The original Broadway cast album of Hello Dolly! is certified gold

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On June 3rd in music history:

Births

1906: Josephine Baker
1927: Boots Randolph
1932: Dakota Staton
1942: Curtis Mayfield
1943: Michael Clarke (The Byrds)
1946: Eddie Holman
1946: Ian Hunter (Mott The Hoople)
1947: Dave Alexander (The Stooges)
1950: Suzi Quatro
1950: Florian Pilkington-Miksa (Curved Air)
1951: Deniece Williams
1952: Billy Powell (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
1954: Dan Hill

Deaths

1975: Ozzie Nelson
1981: Joe Santollo (The Duprees)

Events

1949: Elvis Presley, still an 8th grader, receives his final grades for the year at Humes High School, including an "A" in language but only a "C" in music. Four years later to the day, he would graduate.

Hank Williams makes his last appearance on Shreveport's Louisiana Hayride.

1955: A car dealership in Lubbock, TX, holds a promotional autograph signing for two rising stars -- Buddy Holly and Elvis Presley.

1959: Billboard Magazine responds to the growing popularity of stereophonic recordings by splitting its album chart in two: one chart for mono, one for stereo.

Stricken with tonsillitis while in the Army, Elvis Presley enters the base hospital in Germany and remains there for six days, during which a fruitless search is undertaken for a doctor who will operate on the famous throat. The inflammation is instead allowed to run its course.

1963: The mayor of Aurora, IN, declares today "Lonnie Mack Day" in honor of the native guitarist, recently on the charts with his famous instrumentals "Memphis" and "Wham!"

1964: The Rolling Stones perform their cover of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away" on tonight's episode of ABC-TV's musical variety show Hollywood Palace, hosted this week by Dean Martin.

During a photo shoot for The Saturday Evening Post, an exhausted Ringo Starr collapses and is rushed to the hospital, where he is diagnosed with tonsillitis and pharyngitis. With the band scheduled to leave for a world tour in only 27 hours. producer George Martin and manager Brian Epstein agree on his replacement, session drummer Jimmy Nicol, who had already drummed on a Beatles covers album. Nicol is immediately rushed to the studio to rehearse six songs, and then joins the group on tour for eleven days. When John and Paul ask how he's doing on the tour, Nicol always replies with "It's getting better," which will eventually inspire the song "Getting Better" on Sgt. Pepper.

1967: A truly surreal edition of ABC-TV's American Bandstand features Jefferson Airplane performing "Somebody To Love" and "White Rabbit."

1970: With the BBC refusing to air the Kinks' new single, "Lola," due to its reference to "Coca-Cola" (brand names being a no-no for the corporation), lead singer Ray Davies is forced to fly all the way from London to New York to record the words "cherry cola" for a alternate release.

1972: With Martha Reeves and Stevie Wonder opening, the Rolling Stones kick off their Exile On Main Street tour in Vancouver, BC.

1982: Elvis Presley's fabled home, Graceland, is opened to the public.

1983: Already undergoing psychiatric treatment and suffering from, among other things, voices in his head, Derek and the Dominoes drummer Jim Gordon brutally murders his own mother with a hammer and knife in their home. Gordon, who co-wrote the band's biggest hit, "Layla," is sentenced to life in prison.

1991: To pay off his mounting back takes to the IRS, Willie Nelson releases a new album entitledWho'll Buy My Memories: The IRS Tapes.

2000: Allman Brothers guitarist Dickey Betts is arrested after allegedly trashing his house, threatening his wife's life, and then disappearing. He is captured and ordered to get psychiatric help.

2002: Paul McCartney and Aretha Franklin are the performers at Queen Elizabeth II's Golden Jubilee celebrating the 50th year of her reign.

Releases

1967: The Doors, "Light My Fire"
1972: The Eagles, "Take It Easy"
1972: Pink Floyd, Obscured By Clouds

Recording

1952: Frank Sinatra, "Birth Of The Blues"
1965: Gary Lewis and the Playboys, "Save Your Heart For Me"
1966: The Beatles, "I Want To Tell You"
1970: Bob Dylan: "Kingston Town (Jamaica)," "Can't Help Falling In Love With You," "Long Black Veil," "Lily Of The West," "One More Weekend"

On June 4th in music history:

Births

1930: Morgana King
1937: Freddy Fender
1940: Cliff Bennett (Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers)
1944: Michelle Phillips (The Mamas and the Papas)
1944: Roger Ball (The Average White Band)
1945: Gordon Waller (Peter and Gordon)
1953: Jimmy McCulloch (Thunderclap Newman, Wings)

Deaths

1973: Murry Wilson
1994: Derek Leckenby (Herman's Hermits)
1997: Ronnie Lane (The Faces)
2001: John Hartford
2007: Freddie Scott

Events

1942: The label started the year before by songwriter Johnny Mercer, Liberty Records, is now renamed Capitol, becoming the US' first major West Coast label. New label head Glenn Wallichs comes up with the idea of sending free copies of Capitol 78s to radio stations, thus becoming the first record promoter.

1956: Gene Vincent makes his stage debut, performing in his hometown of Norfolk, VA.

1962: The Beatles sign their first record contract with EMI, though it's merely to produce a series of demos. The band will have to pass its upcoming audition to get signed to make actual records.

1964: The Beatles begin their first world tour, playing the K.B. Hallen Gardens in Copenhagen, Denmark. Session drummer Jimmy Nicol, wearing Ringo's suit, sits in for the ailing drummer for this and the next five dates.

The Beatles finish filming on their first movie, A Hard Day's Night.

1966: Janis Joplin arrives in San Francisco, having been invited there by Big Brother and the Holding Company in order to become their new lead singer.

1967: At the Emmy Awards in New York, The Monkees wins the statuette for Outstanding Comedy Series.

1968: Brian Jones goes on trial in London for his arrest in May on marijuana possession charges.

1969: Nicky Hopkins leaves the Jeff Beck Group.

1971: ABC-TV's Bobby Sherman TV Special airs, featuring guest stars 5th Dimension.

1972: Pink Floyd begin to record their next album, tentatively titled Eclipse, at Abbey Road Studios in London. It would eventually be released as Dark Side of the Moon.

1979: US President Jimmy Carter hosts Chuck Berry, who plays a concert for The First Family at the White House.

1986: After a years-long court battle, the producers of the Beatle tribute Beatlemania! are forced to pay Apple $10 million in royalties.

1992: Priscilla Presley announces that the winner of the USPS Elvis stamp battle is the earlier "Thin Elvis" stamp, which got more votes than the '70s "Fat Elvis" stamp by a factor of three to one.

1994: The alt-rock supergroup who performed the Beatles' songs in the biopic Backbeat reconvenes for a performance at the MTV Music Awards.

1998: Ray Charles reunites with his legendary touring band in Chicago to perform in celebration of his 50th year in show business.

Releases

1962: The Beach Boys, "Surfin' Safari"
1963: The Searchers, "Sweets For My Sweet"
1969: The Beatles, "The Ballad Of John And Yoko" b/w "Old Brown Shoe"

Recording

1964: The Beatles, "Slow Down"
1968: The Beatles, "Revolution 1"
1970: Bob Dylan: "Bring Me Water," "Three Angels," "Tomorrow Is A Long Time," "Big Yellow Taxi," "New Morning"
1970: Elvis Presley: "Twenty Days And Twenty Nights," "I've Lost You," "I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago," "The Sound Of Your Cry," "Faded Love," "The Fool," "A Hundred Years From Now," "Little Cabin On The Hill," "Cindy, Cindy"
1970: Carlos Santana, "Black Magic Woman"

On June 5th in music history:

Births

1922: Gordon "Specs" Powell
1925: Bill Hayes
1932: Pete Jolly
1941: Floyd Butler (The Friends Of Distinction)
1945: Don Reid (The Statler Brothers)
1946: Freddie Stone (Sly and the Family Stone)
1947: Tom Evans (Badfinger)
1950: Ronnie Dyson

Deaths

1990: Jim Hodder (Steely Dan)
1993: Conway Twitty
2004: Robert Quine

Events

1955: Gladys Presley, Elvis' mother, awakens suddenly in Memphis, convinced that her boy is in danger; at that moment, Elvis' first pink Cadillac catches on fire while en route from Fulton, AR. Elvis is unharmed.

1956: Elvis Presley appears on the last broadcast of Milton Berle's Texaco Star Theater, performing his brand-new song, "Hound Dog," and also "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You." Elvis' hip-swinging dancing to "Hound Dog" shocks the nation, leading the press to describe it as "like the mating dance of an aborigine" and that the singer clearly had "no future in the music business."

1959: A young kid named Robert Zimmerman, a greaser of sorts known for his long hair and black leather jackets, graduates from Hibbing High School in Hibbing, MN. Within a few years, he would become a New York folksinger and change his name to Bob Dylan.

1964: David Jones and his band, The King Bees, releases his first single, "Liza Jane." Within five years, he will become famous as David Bowie, having changed his last name to avoid confusion with the Monkees' Davy Jones.

1968: The favorite for the Democratic party nomination for President, Sen. Robert Kennedy, is assassinated after a rousing speech in Los Angeles, inspiring David Crosby to write "Long Time Gone" and the Rolling Stones to add the line "Who killed the Kennedys?" to their new song-in-progress, "Sympathy For The Devil."

1969: The Doors concert documentary Feast Of Friends premieres at the Cinematheque in Los Angeles.

1971: Grand Funk Railroad beats the Beatles' 1965 Shea Stadium record gross for a concert, after manager Terry Knight has the idea to raise ticket prices at Shea just enough to make that possible.

1972: Maureen McGovern quits her full-time secretarial job in order to follow her dream of being a professional singer.

1974: CBS-TV premieres the summer replacement variety show The Bobbie Gentry Happiness Hour.

Sly Stone marries his first wife, Kathy Silva, onstage before his show at Madison Square Garden. Bishop Stewart, the singer's uncle, officiates before the crowd of 19,000; Silva files for divorce five months later.

1975: Syd Barrett, ex-Pink Floyd member and founder who was forced from the band after becoming an acid casualty, quietly appears in the Abbey Road studios during recording of the band's album Wish You Were Here, which was largely written about him. No one notices Barrett, and he soon leaves as quietly as he entered.

The Rolling Stones become the first artists to be granted royalties from the Soviet Union whenever their records are sold there.

1979: Muddy Waters, 64, marries his third wife, 25-year-old Marva Jean Brooks, in Chicago with Eric Clapton as best man.

1986: The cable-TV music special Fats Domino and Friends, featuring friends Ray Charles and Jerry Lee Lewis, airs on HBO.

1987: The Prince's Trust Rock Gala is held for the fifth time at Wembley Arena in London. The annual charity event features the music of George Harrison, who performs "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Eric Clapton; and Ringo Starr's version of "With A Little Help From My Friends," featuring Jeff Lynne. Other performers include Elton John, Phil Collins, Dave Edmunds, and Ben E. King.

Sly Stone surrenders to authorities in Fort Meyers, FL for violating his probation (for cocaine possession).

1988: Patti Boyd, ex-wife of George Harrison, files for divorce from Eric Clapton, who once wrote the song "Layla" about her.

1989: The Doobie Brothers begin their reunion tour, their first with their original lineup since 1975.

1999: Frankie Laine marries his third wife, Marcia Ann Kline.

2008: James Taylor sings the US National Anthem at tonight's Game One of the NBA finals in Boston.

Releases

1956: Gene Vincent, "Be-Bop-A-Lula"
1971: James Taylor, "You've Got A Friend"

Recording

1957: Bill Justis, "Raunchy"
1968: The Beatles, "Don't Pass Me By"
1970: Elvis Presley: "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "Got My Mojo Working," "Keep Your Hands Off Of It," "How The Web Was Woven," "It's Your Baby, You Rock It," "Stranger In The Crowd," "I'll Never Know," "Mary In The Morning"
1970: Bob Dylan: "If Dogs Run Free," "Went To See The Gypsy," "What It's All About," "Winterlude," "I Forgot To Remember," "The Man In Me," "Father Of Night," "Lily Of The West (Flora)"
1974: Patti Smith, "Hey Joe"

Charts

1954: Kitty Kallen's "Little Things Mean A Lot" hits #1
1958: Johnny Mathis' LP Johnny's Greatest Hits hits #1
1960: Brenda Lee's "I'm Sorry" enters the charts
1961: Roy Orbison's "Running Scared" hits #1

On June 6th in music history:

Births

1936: Levi Stubbs (The Four Tops)
1939: Gary U.S. Bonds
1942: Howie Kane (Jay and the Americans)
1943: Joe Stampley
1944: Peter Albin (Big Brother and the Holding Company)
1944: Edgar Ffoese (Tangerine Dream)
1944: Monty Alexander
1947: Tony Williams (Dire Straits)
1951: Dwight Twilley

Deaths

1986: Dick Rowe
1991: Stan Getz
2003: Dave Rowberry (The Animals)
2006: Billy Preston

Events

1960: The RIAA presents Bing Crosby with a special platinum record honoring the sale of his 200 millionth record, a total which includes not only 125 albums but 2,600 singles!

Singer Tony Williams leaves the Platters to embark upon a solo career.

1962: The Beatles audition for EMI, recording four demos, the first material the band ever recorded at Abbey Road: three original compositions called "Love Me Do," "Ask Me Why," and "P.S. I Love You," and a cover of the standard "Besame Mucho." Producer George Martin is not at the session, but is called in by engineer Norman "Hurricane" Smith when he hears something he likes in "Love Me Do." Martin is not impressed with the group's songwriting, scruffy outfits, and even scruffier equipment (one of the band's amps blows during the audition), and he tells them so, finishing, "Look, I've laid into you for quite a time, you haven't responded. Is there anything you don't like?" To which George quips, "I don't like your tie!" The tension is broken, and Martin, charmed by the group's personality, agrees to work with them. (Though he later says, "They were pretty awful. I understand why other record companies turned them down.") The band members are paid US $12 each for the session; drummer Pete Best, whose skills Martin remains unimpressed with, would soon be sacked from the group.

1964: An anonymous ad taken out in six American music trade papers declares: "In the public interest, watch the Rolling Stones crush the Beatles!"

1966: Roy Orbison loses his first wife, Claudette, then 25, after the motorcycle they're both riding collides with a truck in Gallatin, TX. The tragedy would haunt Orbison for years.

1969: Rod Stewart signs to the Mercury label.

1971: John Lennon and Yoko Ono join Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention onstage at the Fillmore East in New York for a set of lengthy, chaotic, screeching jams later release as a bonus disc with the Lennon/Ono album Some Time In New York City.

After almost 23 years on the air, making it American TV's longest-running variety show of all time, The Ed Sullivan Show bows on CBS with its last program, featuring guests Jerry Vale and Gladys Knight & the Pips.

1973: The Elvis Presley concert documentary Elvis On Tour opens nationwide.

1975: Pink Floyd begin their ill-fated American tour in support of their album Animals, an event which would directly inspire the soul-searching of the next LP, The Wall.

1977: Stevie Wonder appears, sponsored by Billboard, as a guest music lecturer at a UCLA symposium, talking about his early Motown days and illustrating his points with performances.

1987: Under increasing pressure from the group to tone down his behavior, Michael Jackson officially severs ties with the Jehovah's Witnesses.

1992: David Bowie and his new wife, model Iman, renew their vows in Florence, Italy after some doubt arises as to the legality of their first ceremony in Switzerland.

1993: The Velvet Underground reform for the first time in 24 years for a show at London's Wembley Arena.

The Who's Tommy, now a Broadway play, takes home five Tony Awards at the annual ceremony in New York.

2001: Saying he "doesn't have time to drive them anymore," Elton John auctions off 20 of his automobiles for a cool $2.75 million.

2005: A Los Angeles jury begins deliberation in the Michael Jackson child molestation trial.

Releases

1960: Roy Orbison, "Only The Lonely"
1972: David Bowie, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
1977: Elvis Presley, "Way Down"

Recording

1966: The Beatles, "Eleanor Rigby"
1968: The Beatles, "Don't Pass Me By"
1974: Billy Swan, "I Can Help"

Charts

1964: The Dixie Cups' "Chapel Of Love" hits #1

Certifications

1973: Barry White's "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby" is certified gold

On June 7th in music history:

Births

1917: Dean Martin
1934: Wynn Stewart
1940: Tom Jones
1944: Clarence White (The Byrds)
1945: Billy Butler

Deaths

1998: Wally Gold

Events

1958: Yet another juvenile-delinquent movie, High School Confidential, opens nationwide, featuring Jerry Lee Lewis performing his hit title song.

1964: Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas make their debut on US television, performing their hit "Little Children" on CBS-TV's Ed Sullivan Show.

Proving they weren't quite ready for the US heartland yet, The Rolling Stones are booed off the stage in San Antonio, TX, resulting in the previous performer returning to the stage -- a troupe of performing monkeys.

1967: The Beatles' third film project, the animated musical fantasy Yellow Submarine, is announced as being in development (though the band themselves will only appear in a cameo). Three new songs from the band are reported to be included: "Only A Northern Song," "It's All Too Much," and "All Together Now." ("Hey Bulldog" is cut from the original theatrical release.)

Cementing the promising hippie-folk band's downfall, three members of Moby Grape are arrested for allegedly "consorting" with underage schoolgirls.

1969: Blind Faith perform their one and only concert, a somewhat underwhelming performance in Hyde Park, London.

The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards is banged up but not seriously injured in a car crash near Sussex, England. However, his passenger, girlfriend Anita Pallenberg, suffers a broken collarbone.

1970: Confounding many classical "longhairs," The Who perform the entirety of their "rock opera" Tommy at New York's Metropolitan Opera House.

1972: The Fifties revival kicks off in earnest with the opening of the musical Grease on Broadway at the Broadhurst Theatre.

1979: Chuck Berry is sentenced to his second jail term -- four months in California's Lompoc prison for tax evasion.

1983: Jerry Lee Lewis marries wife #5, Shawn Michelle Stevens, who would die under what some consider mysterious circumstances a year later at Lewis' home.

1988: Bob Dylan performs with Neil Young at California's Concord Pavilion, effectively beginning his "neverending tour": 100 dates a year, every year, a "tour" that continues even today.

1991: "Little" Jimmy Osmond marries Michelle Larson in Salt Lake City.

1993: Chuck Berry, Sam Phillips, Pete Townshend, and Billy Joel are among the rock immortals present at the groundbreaking ceremony for Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

1999: Late for his date to ring the New York Stock Exchange's opening bell, Rod Stewart decides to announce his presence by tossing soccer balls onto the trading floor.

2007: Rancho Mirage, CA names renames a portion of 35th Avenue as Dean Martin Drive in honor of its deceased former resident.

Bo Diddley is buried in Gainesville, FL, with mourners chanting his signature "Hey! Bo Diddley" as his music is played by a local gospel group. A floral tribute is also presented in the shape of his signature modified square Gretsch guitar.

Releases

1963: The Rolling Stones, "Come On"
1976: The Beatles, Rock And Roll Music

Recording

1954: Bill Haley and His Comets, "Shake, Rattle, And Roll"
1967: The Beatles, "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)"
1970: Elvis Presley: "When I'm Over You," "I Really Don't Want To Know," "Faded Love," "Tomorrow Never Comes," "The Next Step Is Love," "Make The World Go Away," "Funny How Time Slips Away," "I Washed My Hand In Muddy Water," "Love Letters"
1971: Don McLean, "Vincent"

Charts

1952: Al Martino's "Here In My Heart" hits #1
1975: John Denver's "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" hits #1
1975: Elton John's LP Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy hits #1

Certifications

1971: Carole King's LP Tapestry is certified gold
1974: Marvin Hamlisch's "The Entertainer" is certified gold

On June 8th in music history:

Births

1927: Dick Hyman
1942: Ralph Ellis (The Swinging Blue Jeans)
1943: Andrew Semple (The Fortunes)
1944: Keef Hartley
1945: Micky Dolenz (The Monkees)
1946: Carole Bayer Sager
1946: Randy Meisner (The Eagles)
1947: Michael Allsup (Three Dog Night)
1948: Little Peggy March
1949: Dave Lambert (The Strawbs)

Deaths

1973: Ronald "Pigpen" McKernan
1993: Billy Eckstein
2003: Adam Faith

Events

1963: The Four Tops sign with the Motown label -- as a jazz-pop act -- for the princely sum of $400.

1964: The Dave Clark Five appear for the first time on CBS-TV's Ed Sulli9van Show, performing "Do You Love Me" and "Can’t You See That She’s Mine." It will be the first of eighteen appearances for the group.

1968: Elvis Presley's 26th movie, Stay Away, Joe, premieres in New York City. The comedy features Elvis as a Native American rodeo champion.

Promoter Bill Graham's East Coast version of the Fillmore, his legendary San Francisco rock ballroom, opens in the East Village section of New York City. Dubbed, appropriately enough, the Fillmore East, its first show features Big Brother and the Holding Company, Albert King, and Tim Buckley.

1969: The Small Faces break up following the departure of lead singer Steve Marriott. Marriott goes on to form Humble Pie, while the Small Faces eventually regroup with new lead singer Rod Stewart and become simply Faces.

1970: Diana Ross gives her first solo concert performance, appearing at a show in Framingham, MA.

1971: After activist Abbie Hoffman sends them a tape of the song, Radio Hanoi plays Jimi Hendrix' version of the Star-Spangled Banner.

1973: Paul McCartney is fined 240 pounds for growing cannabis on his Scotland farm, claiming that while the plants are his, they were grown from seeds given him by a friend, and he wasn't sure what sort of seeds they were. Right.

1974: Rising from the ashes of Free and Mott The Hoople, the newly-formed Bad Company play their first live gig, at Newcastle City Hall in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England.

1975: The English music mag New Musical Express reports, erroneously, that Wayne Perkins will replace Mick Taylor as the new guitarist for the Rolling Stones. In reality, the band are auditioning three guitarists for the job, all of whom will be featured on the band's next LP, the notoriously sloppy and dull Black And Blue. Ron Wood is eventually given the nod when Perkins is judged to sound a little too much like the departed Taylor.

1979: Rolling Stone reports that inflation has ballooned the cost of making and promoting a major label LP to between $350,000 and $500,000.

1990: Rolling Stone dubs Jefferson Airplane's disastrous new comeback album Most Unwanted Comeback of the Year.

Recording

1966: Bob Dylan: "Pledging My Time," "Just Like A Woman"
1974: John Denver: "Annie's Song," "Thank God I'm A Country Boy"

Charts

1975: Olivia Newton-John's "Have You Never Been Mellow" hits #1

Certifications

1976: Gary Wright's "Dream Weaver" is certified gold

On June 9th in music history:

Births

1891: Cole Porter
1915: Les Paul
1929: Johnny Ace
1934: Jackie Wilson
1941: Billy Hatton (The Fourmost)
1941: Jon Lord (Deep Purple)
1946: Stuart Edwards (Edison Lighthouse)
1947: Mitch Mitchell (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)
1949: Francis Monkman (Curved Air)
1949: George Bunnell (Strawberry Alarm Clock)
1950: Trevor Bolder (Uriah Heep)
1951: Terry Uttley (Smokie)

Deaths

1993: Arthur Alexander

Events

1958: In hopes of derailing the controversy building over Jerry Lee Lewis' recent marriage to his 14-year-old second cousin Myra Gale Brown, Sun Records head Sam Phillips takes out a full-page ad in Billboard so that the Killer can explain his actions. It doesn't help.

1959: Bobby Darin plays his first Las Vegas gig at the Sahara, opening for comedian George Burns.

1962: Tony Bennett plays his first concert in Carnegie Hall, a move designed by promoter Sid Bernstein to revive the crooner's career. With the subsequent release of the single "I Left My Heart In San Francisco," it does just that.

1963: Andy Williams signs in as the "mystery guest" on CBS-TV's panel game show What's My Line?

1966: Elvis Presley's 21st movie, a retread of Blue Hawaii called Paradise, Hawaiian Style, is given a sneak preview in The King's hometown of Memphis before its official release a few weeks later.

The Beatles debut a "promotional film" of their latest b-side, "Rain," on BBC-TV's Top Of The Pops.

1969: The final nail in the coffin of Moby Grape is driven in when bassist Bob Mosley leaves to become a Marine.

The Rolling Stones invite Mick Taylor, guitarist with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, to join the group as a replacement for recently deceased founder Brian Jones.

1970: Princeton University awards Bob Dylan an honorary Doctorate of Music.

1972: Elvis Presley begins the first of an unprecedented four sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden, his first-ever New York City concert. Two Beatles were in attendance -- George and John -- as well as Bob Dylan, David Bowie, and Art Garfunkel. Selections from the shows eventually made up the album Elvis: As Recorded At Madison Square Garden.

John Hammond's latest discovery, Bruce Springsteen, signs with him at Columbia. Bruce immediately begins to put together his famous E Street Band from the sidemen in his various Asbury Park, NJ bar bands.

1977: George Harrison is divorced from Pattie "Layla" Harrison, his wife of eleven years.

1989: The Doobie Brothers reunite to begin their first tour in eight years, and the first reunion tour with their famous 1972-1975 lineup.

1993: The US Postal Service introduces a new series of stamps called "Legends Of American Music," its first to feature rock and R&B stars, featuring Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, Bill Haley, Clyde McPhatter, Ritchie Valens, and Dinah Washington.

The Tina Turner biopic What's Love Got To Do With It? opens in US theaters.

1997: Carl Perkins enters a Memphis hospital to have surgery on blocked arteries in his neck.

1998: The Ronettes are awarded $12 million in back payments from producer Phil Spector in a case brought to the New York State Supreme Court, claiming the infamous producer had not paid them royalties since their big 1963 hits were issued. Unfortunately, the verdict was overturned on appeal four years later.

2009: The Library of Congress gives 25 records the nod as this year's entrance into the National Recording Registry, including The Who's "My Generation," Link Wray's "Rumble," and the Kingston Trio's "Tom Dooley."

Recording

1964: Bob Dylan, Another Side Of Bob Dylan
1966: The Beatles, "Good Day Sunshine"
1967: The Beatles, "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)"

Charts

1958: Johnny Mathis' LP Johnny's Greatest Hits hits #1
1958: Sheb Wooley's "The Purple People Eater" hits #1
1979: The Bee Gees' "Love You Inside Out" hits #1

Certifications

1971: Paul McCartney's LP Ram is certified gold
1975: Tony Orlando and Dawn's "He Don't Love You (Like I Love You)" is certified gold

On June 10th in music history:

Births

1910: Howlin' Wolf
1922: Judy Garland
1941: Shirley Owens Alston (The Shirelles)
1942: Janet Vogel (The Skyliners)
1944: Rick Price (The Move, Wizzard)

Deaths

1970: Earl Grant
1982: Micki Harris (The Shirelles)
1988: Steve Sanders (The Oak Ridge Boys)
2004: Ray Charles

Events

1931: In a country-music milestone, Jimmie Rodgers records in a Nashville studio with gospel harmony legends The Carter Family.

1966: The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band celebrates its 20th anniversary with a concert of 10,000 in their hometown of Denver.

Janis Joplin makes her singing debut with Big Brother and the Holding Company at San Francisco's Avalon Ballroom.

While performing with the Small Faces on the ITV show Ready Steady Go!, lead singer Steve Marriott collapses and falls on the stage from exhaustion, forcing the band to cancel a week of upcoming shows.

1969: Gary Lewis and the Playboys perform "This Diamond Ring" on NBC-TV's Tonight Show.

1971: Police fire tear gas into the rowdy crowd at tonight's Jethro Tull concert in Denver, but the band continues playing even though some of them have trouble seeing their instruments.

1976: Paul McCartney and Wings set a new indoor concert attendance record of 67,100 at the Kingdome in Seattle.

1986: Grateful Dead leader Jerry Garcia slips into a diabetic coma for five days, resulting in the cancellation of the remainder of the band's tour.

1991: Temptation David Ruffin's funeral is held in Detroit, with attendees including Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, and former bandmate Eddie Kendricks, who is arrested at the service for failure to pay child support.

1992: Model Kelly Emberg has her palimony suit against Rod Stewart thrown out.

2005: Ottawa Governor General Adrienne Clarkson officially makes Paul Anka an Officer of the Order of Canada.

Releases

1957: Elvis Presley, "Teddy Bear" b/w "Loving You"
1966: Elvis Presley, Paradise, Hawaiian Style
1967: Stevie Wonder, "I Was Made To Love Her"
1975: The Eagles, One Of These Nights
1978: Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good"

Recording

1968: The Beatles, "Revolution 9"
1958: Elvis Presley: "I Need Your Love Tonight," "A Big Hunk O' Love," "Ain't That Loving You, Baby?," "A Fool Such As I"
1964: Elvis Presley: "Puppet On A String," "The Meanest Girl In Town," "Girl Happy"
1964: The Rolling Stones: "It's All Over Now," "Time Is On My Side"
1967: The Monkees, "Pleasant Valley Sunday"
1971: Elvis Presley: "My Way," "I'll Be Home On Christmas Day"

Charts

1950: The Ames Brothers' "Sentimental Me" hits #1
1972: Sammy Davis, Jr.'s "Candy Man" hits #1
1978: John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John's "You're The One That I Want" hits #1

On June 11th in music history:

Births

1934: Pookie Hudson (The Spaniels)
1936: Jud Strunk
1939: Wilma Burgess
1940: Joey Dee (Joey Dee and the Starliters)
1946: John Lawton (Uriah Heep)
1948: Skip Alan (Them, The Pretty Things)
1949: Frank Beard (ZZ Top)

Deaths

none

Events

1949: Hank Williams shoots into superstardom overnight when he performs his new single, "Lovesick Blues," at Nashville's "Grand Old Opry." He's called back for a record six encores.

1958: Jerry Lee Lewis finds that the marriage scandal involving his 14-year-old second cousin has migrated back to the States when he is booed off a New York stage. The second show is canceled due to poor ticket sales, and Lewis' career, for the time being anyway, is ruined.

1964: The Rolling Stones hold an attention-grabbing "press conference" in the middle of Michigan Avenue in Chicago, just outside Chess Studios; it's promptly broken up by the local police.

1965: Buckingham Palace announces that the Beatles are to be awarded the MBE (Members of the British Empire) award by Queen Elizabeth II, an award traditionally only presented to upper-crust members of the community. Several members immediately return their awards, complaining that they have become "debased."

1966: Elvis Presley begins shooting his 26th film, Double Trouble, in Hollywood.

Britain's Melody Maker reports that one of the first "supergroups," Cream, has formed from former members of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Manfred Mann, and the Graham Bond Organization.

European radio is abuzz with rumors that Roger Daltrey, lead singer of The Who, has been killed in an auto accident days earlier. In fact, guitarist Pete Townshend was in the wreck, but survived with minor injuries.

1968: During the recording of the Rolling Stones' new song, "Sympathy For The Devil," London's Olympic Studio mysteriously catches fire.

1971: A drunken Dennis Wilson, drummer for the Beach Boys, accidentally puts his hand through the glass door of his home, severing nerves that keep him from his instrument for the better part of three years.

1990: The United Nations appoints Olivia Newton-John as its first Goodwill Ambassador to the environment.

1992: U2 has ABBA's Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Anderson join them onstage at their concert in Stockholm for a rendition of ABBA's 1975 smash "Dancing Queen."

2002: Three hundred guests, including Elton John, David Gilmour, Chrissie Hynde, and former bandmate Ringo Starr, attend the wedding of Paul McCartney to former model and current activist Heather Mills at St. Salvator Church in Glaslough, Ireland. Paul's three children from his first marriage all attend; Mills walks down the aisle holding eleven "McCartney" roses specially developed for the occasion. The couple would divorce in 2008.

2008: Nancy Sinatra appears before the US Congress pleading for legislation that would require all performers, not just songwriters, to get paid for songs played on commercial analog radio.

Releases

1969: David Bowie, "Space Oddity"
1976: Wild Cherry, "Play That Funky Music"
1976: The Carpenters, A Kind Of Hush

Recording

1940: The Ink Spots, "Maybe"
1958: Elvis Presley, "I Got Stung"
1964: Elvis Presley: "Cross My Heart And Hope To Die," "Spring Fever," "Do Not Disturb"
1964: Manfred Mann, "Do Wah Diddy Diddy"
1965: The Rolling Stones, Got Live If You Want It!
1968: The Beatles: "Blackbird," "Revolution 9"

Charts

1966: The Rolling Stones' "Paint It, Black" hits #1
1977: KC and the Sunshine Band's "I'm Your Boogie Man" hits #1

On June 12th in music history:

Births

1927: Al Fairweather
1928: Vic Damone
1941: Chick Corea
1941: Roy Harper
1942: Len Barry
1943: Reg Presley (The Troggs)
1948: Barry Bailey (Atlanta Rhythm Section)
1951: Brad Delp (Boston)
1951: Bun E. Carlos (Cheap Trick)

Deaths

1957: Jimmy Dorsey
1978: Johnny Bond
1989: Lou Monte

Events

1959: Sam Cooke insists on racially integrated seating for tonight's dual-headlining show with Jackie Wilson in Norfolk, VA.

1961: Frankie Avalon begins a 12-day tour of South America, one of the first rock tours to play on the continent.

1962: Brenda Lee dislocates her neck while performing at the Latin Casino in Cherry Hill, NJ, and is hospitalized; one year later to the day, the teen idol finally graduates from the showbiz-friendly high school Hollywood Professional.

1965: Sonny and Cher make their US television debut, singing "Just You" on ABC-TV's American Bandstand.

1966: The Dave Clark Five break a record by becoming the first rock band to make 12 appearances on CBS-TV's Ed Sullivan Show.

1968: Elvis Presley's 27th film, Speedway, starring Nancy Sinatra, premieres in Charlotte, NC.

1982: The largest political rally in US history occurs when three-quarters of a million people cram into New York's Central Park for the Rally for Nuclear Disarmament, a musical protest featuring Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Linda Ronstadt, and Gary "U.S." Bonds.

1987: The Los Angeles Coroner's Office rules that blues legend Paul Butterfield died from a heart attack caused by decades of drug and alcohol abuse.

1989: The Elvis Presley Autoland Museum, a section of Graceland devoted to twenty of the King's vintage cars, opens to the public.

1992: Jordan and Danny of New Kids on the Block are acquitted in copyright-infringement charges stemming from their song "I'll Be Your Everything," which the estate of Percy Sledge claimed borrowed heavily from Sledge's 1975 song of the same name.

1994: Cab Calloway suffers a stroke in his hometown of Rochester, NY, the beginning of a series of medical events which will lead to his death a few months later.

2000: Bruce Springsteen debuts his new song, "American Skin (41 Shots)," which protests the NYPD killing of unarmed suspect Amadou Diallo, to resounding boos at Madison Square Garden.

2003: In New York, the Songwriters' Hall of Fame inducts new members Little Richard, Van Morrison, Queen, and Phil Collins.

Releases

1959: Chuck Berry, Chuck Berry Is On Top
1959: Bo Diddley, Go Bo Diddley
1972: John Lennon and Yoko Ono, Some Time In New York City

Recording

1935: Ella Fitzgerald: "Love And Kisses," "I'll Chase The Blues Away"
1942: Billie Holiday, "Travelin' Light"
1963: The Beach Boys: "Little Deuce Coupe," "Surfer Girl"
1964: The Zombies, "She's Not There"
1966: Elvis Presley: "Indescribably Blue," "I'll Remember You," "If Every Day Was Like Christmas"
1973: Grand Funk Railroad, "We're An American Band"

Charts

1957: Jerry Lee Lewis' "Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On" enters the country charts
1965: The Supremes' "Back In My Arms Again" hits #1
1971: Honey Cone's "Want Ads" hits #1

On June 13th in music history:

Births

1934: Uriel Jones (The Funk Brothers)
1940: Bobby Freeman
1941: Marv Tarplin
1942: James Carr
1943: Esther Ofarim
1949: Dennis Locorriere (Dr. Hook)
1950: Bo Donaldson (Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods)
1951: Howard Leese (Heart)
1954: Jorge Santana (Malo)

Deaths

1972: Clyde McPhatter
1980: Charles Miller (War)
1986: Benny Goodman

Events

1958: A 17-year-old Frank Zappa graduates from Antelope Valley High School in Lancaster, CA.

1959: US Army Private Elvis Presley receives a 15-day furlough and uses it to travel to Paris, ostensibly to meet film sexpot Brigitte Bardot. While there, he and his entourage take up a suite at the Prince De Galles Hotel (on the Champs Elysees) and visit the Moulin Rouge and also the Lido club, home of the famous dancers the Bluebell Girls. Elvis and company take some of the girls back to the hotel tonight, a practice they would continue throughout his leave.

1964: The Rolling Stones' first major US television appearance is made on ABC's Hollywood Palace, a variety show with rotating host spots. This week's host, Dean Martin, who has made no secret of his dislike for rock in general and the British Invasion in particular, mocks the Stones at every turn for their long hair and seeming delinquency; after acrobat Larry Griswold performs several death-defying trampoline stunts, Martin claims, "That's the father of the Rolling Stones. He's been trying to kill himself ever since."

1969: The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown announces its breakup.

1971: Frank Sinatra performs his "retirement" concert at Los Angeles' Music Center, although he would return to the stage, the studio, and the television screen just two years later.

1975: John Lennon makes what would prove to be his last TV appearance, performing "Imagine" and a cover of Little Richard's "Slippin' And Slidin'" on the ABC special A Salute To Sir Lew Grade.

1980: The strange musical comedy film Roadie opens in US theaters, featuring Meat Loaf, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Alice Cooper, Cheap Trick, Styx, Blondie, and Pat Benatar.

1988: Stevie Wonder and a host of pop stars perform a charity concert at London's Wembley Stadium for struggling children's charities in apartheid-torn South Africa, as well as anti-apartheid causes in the UK.

1989: Jerry Lee Lewis is awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame at 6631 Hollywood Boulevard.

2003: Gerry Marsden of Gerry and the Pacemakers is awarded an MBE (Member of the British Empire) in the annual Queen's Birthday Honours. Errol Brown of Hot Chocolate is similarly honored; Pink Floyd's David Gilmour is awarded the much higher CBE (Commander of the British Empire).

2005: After a sensational 16-week trial in Los Angeles, Michael Jackson is found innocent of child molestation charges.

2006: Heather Mills, ex-model, activist, and estranged wife of Paul McCartney, announces her intention to divorce the ex-Beatle.

Releases

1970: Bread, "Make It With You"
1977: The Beatles, The Beatles Live! At The Star-Club In Hamburg, Germany; 1962
1978: Linda Ronstadt, "Blue Bayou"

Recording

1924: Vernon Dalhart, "The Wreck Of The Old '97"
1930: Lionel Hampton, "Memories Of You"
1962: Ricky Nelson, "It's Up To You"

Charts

1970: The Beatles' "The Long And Winding Road" hits #1
1970: The Beatles' LP Let It Be hits #1

[:P][:P][:P][:P][:P]

On June 14th in music history:

Births

1909: Burl Ives
1910: Nappy Lamare
1936: Obie Benson (The Four Tops)
1941: Jr. Walker (Jr. Walker and the All-Stars)
1945: Rod Argent (The Zombies, Argent)
1949: Alan White (Yes)
1952: Jim Lea (Slade)

Deaths

1969: Wynonie Harris
1994: Henry Mancini
1995: Rory Gallagher

Events

1953: Elvis Presley graduates from Humes High School in Memphis, TN.

1957: Ava Gardner divorces Frank Sinatra.

1961: After a performance at the Majestic Theatre in Newcastle, England, Gene Vincent is mobbed by admirers who accidentally push him down a flight of stairs, where he is knocked out.

Patsy Cline is involved in an infamous head-on collision on Old Hickory Boulevard in Nashville, TN; she is thrown into the windshield by the impact and sustains major head, wrist, and hip injuries. She will be hospitalized for a month, during which time she will become a convert to Christianity.

Elvis Presley's 7th movie, Wild In The Country, premieres in his hometown of Memphis.

1964: Workers at a London railway station open a tea chest addressed to the Beatles and find 12-year-old Carol Dryden, a fan who'd decided to mail herself to the group.

1965: The Beatles record the b-side to the single Help!, a raucous Little Richard-style number called "I'm Down." During the sessions, Paul keeps repeating "plastic soul, man," a reference to a black musician's phrase denigrating Mick Jagger's brand of R&B. The phrase would eventually mutate into the title of their next album, Rubber Soul.

1968: Rod Stewart becomes a star in the US after the Jeff Beck Group, for which he sings lead, opens at New York's Fillmore East. The 23-year-old Stewart is still so new to the stage that he hides behind a stack of speakers during the first song.

1969: In London's Hyde Park, Mick Taylor attends his first photo shoot as a new member of the Rolling Stones.

1970: Derek and the Dominoes step on the stage for the first time under that name as they play the Lyceum in London.

Blood Sweat and Tears become the first Western rock band to perform "behind the iron curtain" in a Soviet country.

Grand Funk Railroad unveil their famous "Closer To Home" billboard in New York, which costs $100,000 and takes a full city block to promote their new single of the same name.

1971: Frank Sinatra announces his retirement from show business, only to return a year and a half later with the legendary comeback album Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back.

1972: Yet another unruly crowd at a Rolling Stones concert, with cops dispensing tear gas into the audience at today's gig in Tucson, AZ.

Actor Warren Beatty organizes his fifth benefit concert for doomed US Presidential candidate George McGovern at Madison Square Garden, featuring, among others, Simon & Garfunkel and Peter Paul & Mary.

1979: Little Feat announce their breakup.

1988: Chuck Berry is sued for five million dollars by a woman who claimed he punched her in the mouth during an argument.

1993: Pepsi's famous "You got the right one, baby!" ads featuring Ray Charles are pulled after medical waste begins showing up in some cans of the product.

1996: George Martin, Beatles producer, is made a knight by Queen Elizabeth II.

2002: Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones is made a knight by Queen Elizabeth II; one year later to the day, Gerry and the Pacemakers' Gerry Marsden is awarded the MBE.

2006: Rufus Wainwright, son of folksinger Loudon, recreates the whole of Judy Garland's legendary 1961 Carnegie Hall concert at the famous institution in order to mark the show's 35th anniversary.

Releases

1965: The Beatles, Beatles VI
1965: Sonny and Cher, "I Got You Babe"
1975: Janis Ian, "At Seventeen"

Recording

1958: Fats Domino, "I'm Gonna Be A Wheel Someday"
1965: The Beatles: "I've Just Seen A Face," "I'm Down," "Yesterday"
1966: The Beatles, "Here, There And Everywhere,"
1967: The Beatles, "All You Need Is Love"
1967: The Monkees, "Daydream Believer"
1975: Bob Dylan: "Rita Mae," "Joey"

Charts

1975: America's "Sister Golden Hair" hits #1

Certifications

1976: The Beatles' Rock 'N' Roll Music is certified gold

On June 15th in music history:

Births

1910: David Rose
1917: Leon Payne
1929: Nigel Pickering (Spanky and Our Gang)
1937: Waylon Jennings
1941: Harry Nilsson
1943: Johnny Halliday
1943: Muff Winwood (The Spencer Davis Group)
1946: Janet Lennon (The Lennon Sisters)
1946: Noddy Holder (Slade)
1947: Demis Roussos
1949: Russell Hitchcock (Air Supply)
1949: Michael Lutz (Brownsville Station)
1951: Steve Walsh (Kansas)

Deaths

1996: Ella Fitzgerald

Events

1957: Elvis Presley's new single, "All Shook Up," debuts on the UK charts before its release, due to advance copies of the single -- intended for US troops in Europe -- finding their way into the hands of British DJs.

1958: The Platters perform their new hit "Twilight Time" on tonight's broadcast of CBS-TV's Ed Sullivan Show.

1961: Elvis Presley's seventh film, Wild in the Country, debuts in US theaters. A rare dramatic turn with few songs, it does not do well at the box office.

1964: Peter and Gordon visit America for the first time for their upcoming debut US performance at the '64 World's Fair in New York.

After a prolonged absence due to tonsillitis, during which he was replaced by Jimmy Nicol, Ringo Starr rejoins the Beatles on tour in Melbourne.

1965: Bob Dylan and band begin recording a new song entitled "Like a Rolling Stone," but after several attempts as a waltz of sorts, the song is abandoned until the next day, when the now-familiar hit version is recorded in 4/4 time.

1966: Capitol releases the Beatles' newest US album, a compilation of sorts entitled Yesterday and Today, featuring a bizarre cover by arty photographer Robert Whitaker where the group, dressed in butcher smocks, is surrounded by decapitated baby dolls and raw meat. The ensuing outrage forces the label to rush-release a new version with the group sitting in and around a large steamer trunk. Despite popular rumor, the photo has never been proven as a statement by the group on Vietnam or Capitol's practice of "butchering" their UK albums for US releases; Whitaker alone remains responsible for the idea, which at least one Beatle later described as "gross" and "stupid." Capitol merely stuck the new "trunk cover" over the original, and therefore, steamed "Butcher Covers" of the album are among the most popular collectibles in existence.

1967: John Mayall's Bluesbreakers loses its main guitarist, Peter Green, who quits to form a new band called Fleetwood Mac.

1970: Jimi Hendrix opens his new Electric Ladyland Studios in New York.

1974: ABBA enter the UK album charts for the first time with their debut Waterloo.

1975: Citing the need for "an extensive eye examination," Elvis Presley is admitted to Mid-South Hospital in Memphis to have plastic surgery done on his eyes in an attempt to remove the first sign of wrinkles appearing around them. Although his personal physician and manager Colonel Tom Parker strongly advise against the operation, Elvis insists.

1977: 5th Dimension's Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr., the married stars of the band, are given their own summer variety show on CBS-TV (a move which would lead directly to their stint as hosts of the syndicated countdown show Solid Gold.

1985: The charity single "You'll Never Walk Alone," performed by the UK megagroup The Crowd (featuring Paul McCartney, John Entwistle of the Who, Gerry Marsden of the Pacemakers, Rick Wakeman, Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott, and Rolf Harris, among others), reaches #1 in the UK. A direct response to a tragic fire at the Valley Parade football stadium in Bradford, England in which 56 were killed, it raised a mere 132,000 pounds after the publishers of the song refused to give up their songwriting royalties.

1988: An Italian photographer photographs Bruce Springsteen, in Rome for a tour, in a dalliance with backup singer Patti Scialfa, leading to the breakup of his marriage to model and actress Julianne Phillips.

1993: With his latest release, My World, Ray Charles becomes the first musician to land an album on the Billboard charts in six consecutive decades.

1996: Beatles producer George Martin is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.

2004: Glen Campbell is sentenced to a ten-day jail sentence in Phoenix for driving his BMW, while drunk, into another car at an intersection and then leaving the scene of the crime.

2005: A Mississippi court awards Jerry Lee Lewis' sixth wife, Kerrie Lynn McCarver Lewis, a divorce settlement totaling $400,000.

2010: An Atlanta judge rules that one Neal Horsley cannot be tried for posting a rant on his antiabortion website entitled "Why Elton John Must Die." Elton had incurred the man's wrath after suggesting, in a magazine interview, that Jesus Christ may have been gay.

Releases

1963: Jan and Dean, "Surf City"
1978: Bob Dylan, Street Legal

Recording

1964: Elvis Presley: "I've Got To Find My Baby," "Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce," "Startin' Tonight," "Do The Clam," "Wolf Call"
1965: The Beatles, "It's Only Love"

Charts

1963: Kyu Sakamoto's "Sukiyaki" hits #1
1974: Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods' "Billy, Don't Be a Hero" hits #1

Certifications

1971: The Guess Who album Best of the Guess Who is certified gold

On June 16th in music history:

Births

1935: Little Caesar (Little Caesar and the Romans)
1939: Billy "Crash" Craddock
1941: Lamont Dozier
1942: Edward Levert (The O'Jays)
1946: Ian Matthews (Fairport Convention, Matthews Southern Comfort)
1949: Peppy Castro (Blues Magoos)
1950: James Smith (The Stylistics)
1952: Gino Vannelli

Deaths

1975: Don Robey

Events

1962: Gary "U.S." Bonds makes his US television debut, performing his hit "Quarter To Three" on ABC-TV'sAmerican Bandstand.

A young David Bowie makes his stage debut when his band, the Konrads, performs at Bromley Technical in Kent, England.

1967: The first of the major rock festivals, Monterey Pop, is held in California, featuring established acts such as The Mamas and The Papas, Eric Burdon and the Animals, The Association, Booker T. and the MGs, The Who, and the Byrds, and also making superstars of several relatively new acts such as Otis Redding, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Simon and Garfunkel, Canned Heat, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and The Steve Miller Band. 50,000 attendees paid between $3.50 and $6.50 to see more than two dozen acts, all of whom agreed to play for free so all proceeds could go to charity. The event kicked off the famous "Summer of Love," in which thousands of college-age rock fans visited San Francisco, and also inspired John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas to write "San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)," later a hit for Scott McKenzie. Filmmaker D.A. Pennebaker's acclaimed 1969 documentary Monterey Pop was filmed during the festival.

1970: The organizers of the Woodstock music festival report that they have lost over $1.2 million on the event (money which they will later make up through movie and soundtrack rights).

1975: John Lennon sues US Attorneys General John Mitchell and Richard Kleindienst for alleged harassment during his recent deportation investigation.

1976: No longer just five, The Jacksons -- all six sons and three daughters -- get their own summer replacement variety show on CBS-TV.

1978: The movie adaptation of the hit off-Broadway play Grease, starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, opens in US theaters, becoming the smash hit of the year.

1980: The movie The Blues Brothers, adapted from John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd's classic SNL skit, premieres in Chicago. A love letter of sorts to Sixties R&B and soul, it will help re-establish the careers of its musical co-stars, including James Brown, Ray Charles, and Aretha Franklin.

1987: Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead officially gives permission for Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream to name a new flavor after him.

1989: Cliff Richard performs in front of 72,000 fans at Wembley Stadium in London to celebrate his 30th year in show business. Gerry and the Pacemakers show up to help honor Cliff, as do the Searchers.

Smokey Robinson launches his own perfume for women, entitled simply "Smoke."

1990: The Rolling Stones' "Paint, It Black," re-released in the Netherlands as a single, climbs to the top of the charts 24 years after its initial release.

1993: The USPS issues a series of commemorative stamps honoring early rock heroes Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, Ritchie Valens, Clyde McPhatter, and Dinah Washington.

2002: A remixed version of Elvis Presley's 1967 single "A Little Less Conversation" hits #1 in the UK, released as part of a plan by his estate to regain the UK record for Number Ones from the Beatles.

2004: The original members of the New York Dolls reunite on stage after nearly 30 years, in a concert arranged by their #1 fan, Morrissey of the Smiths.

2007: 61-year-old Rod Stewart marries his third wife, 35-year-old model Penny Lancaster, on board the yacht Lady Ann Magee in Portofino, Italy.

Releases

1958: Elvis Presley, "Hard-Headed Woman"
1971: Elvis Presley, Love Letters From Elvis

Recording

1956: Bill Doggett, "Honky Tonk (Parts 1 and 2)"
1965: Bob Dylan, "Like A Rolling Stone"
1966: The Beatles, "Here, There And Everywhere"
1966: Bob Dylan, "Fourth Time Around"

Charts

1956: Patti Page's "Allegheny Moon" enters the charts
1956: Gogi Grant's "The Wayward Wind" hits #1
1979: Donna Summer's LP Bad Girls hits #1

Certifications

1965: Herman's Hermits' "Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter" is certified gold

On June 17th in music history:

Births

1902: Sammy Fain
1910: Red Foley
1930: Cliff Gallup (Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps)
1939: Dickie Doo (Dickie Doo and the Don'ts)
1942: Norman Kuhlke (The Swinging Blue Jeans)
1943: Barry Manilow
1944: Chris Spedding
1947: Greg Rolie (Santana, Journey)
1947: Eric Lewis (Middle of the Road)

Deaths

1986: Kate Smith
1999: Screaming Lord Sutch

Events

1943: After planning to return to his hometown and resume his career as a barber, Perry Como is signed to RCA Records.

1954: The UK music newspaper Record Mirror goes to press for the first time.

1955: Eddie Fisher marries Debbie Reynolds in Hollywood. The couple would divorce in 1959 after Fisher was discovered to be carrying on an affair with Liz Taylor.

1964: Elvis Presley's 15th movie, Viva Las Vegas, co-starring Ann-Margret, opens nationwide in the US.

1965: The Moody Blues and the Kinks each make their US stage debut, with one opening for the other at New York's Academy of Music.

1966: Peter Green joins John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

Paul McCartney buys the farm in Kintyre, Scotland, that would later inspire his 1977 megahit ballad "Mull Of Kintyre."

1967: Barbra Streisand sings for 135,000 fans at her concert in New York's Central Park, later released as the CBS-TV special and soundtrack album A Happening In Central Park.

1972: Ron McKernan, the keyboardist known to Grateful Dead fans simply as Pigpen, plays what is to be his last gig with the group, performing at the Hollywood Bowl before drinking himself to death less than a year later.

1978: Grace Slick is deemed too drunk to go onstage with Jefferson Starship tonight at their concert in St. Goarhausen in West Germany, but does so anyway, singing horribly and verbally abusing the audience with Nazi taunts. The crowd riots, causing over a million dollars in damage and leading Slick to quit the band, not returning until 1983.

1980: Led Zeppelin begin what would be their last tour with a concert in Dortmund, Germany.

1985: The famously reclusive Bob Dylan opens up on the syndicated radio show Rockline, taking calls from fans.

1987: Rod Stewart becomes the proud parent of his fourth child, daughter Ruby, from his girlfriend, model Kelly Emberg.

1989: Ringo Starr announces the second annual line-up of his All-Starr Band, featuring Billy Preston, Joe Walsh, Dr. John, Nils Lofgren and Clarence Clemons of the E Street Band, and The Band's Levon Helm and Rick Danko.

2006: Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones enters rehab to kick his drinking habit, but will recover in time to join the band on its latest world tour in a month.

Rolf Harris is honored with a CBE (Commander of the British Empire) by Queen Elizabeth II.

Releases

1967: The Hollies, "Carrie Anne"
1967: Moby Grape: "Changes," "Sitting By The Window," "8:05," "Omaha," "Hey Grandma"
1969: Elvis Presley, "Clean Up Your Own Back Yard"
1977: Steve Winwood, Steve Winwood

Recording

1964: Jay and the Americans, "Come A Little Bit Closer"
1965: The Beatles: "Act Naturally," "Wait," "Yesterday"
1966: The Beatles: "Here, There And Everywhere," "Got To Get You Into My Life"
1973: Dolly Parton, "I Will Always Love You"

Charts

1971: Carole King's LP Tapestry hits #1
1972: The Rolling Stones' LP Exile On Main Street hits #1
1978: Andy Gibb's "Shadow Dancing" hits #1

Certifications

1968: Ohio Express' "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy" is certified gold

On June 18th in music history:

Births

1897: Kay Kyser
1903: Jeanette MacDonald
1913: Sammy Cahn
1938: Don "Sugarcane" Harris (Don and Dewey)
1942: Paul McCartney (The Beatles, Wings)
1942: Carl Radle (Derek and the Dominoes)
1942: Richard Perry
1947: Sandy Posey
1952: Ricky Gazda (Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes)
1953: Jerome Smith (KC and the Sunshine Band)

Deaths

1954: Danny Cedrone (Bill Haley and His Comets)
2007: Hank Medress (The Tokens)

Events

1915: A.P. Carter marries Sara Dougherty in Maces Spring, VA, forming two-thirds of what would eventually, with the addition of Sara's sister, Maybelle, become country music's legendary Carter Family.

1948: The Columbia label becomes the first to mass-manufacture the new "long-playing" or "LP" record format, to be played at 33 1/3 rpm rather than the standard 78. Unlike 78 rpm discs, which only held three minutes of music, the LP could hold a full 23 minutes per side.

1967: The Apple record label is formed.

After wresting the coveted closing spot from the Who, Jimi Hendrix goes to wow concertgoers at the Monterey Pop music festival by setting his guitar on fire during his set.

1974: Rare Earth drummer Peter Hoorelbeke is arrested for throwing his drumsticks into the crowd at the end of the band's concert.

1975: Elvis Presley enters Memphis' Mid-South Hospital, ostensibly to have "an extensive eye examination"; reports persist, however, that the King is actually having his crows' feet removed from his aging face.

1976: After eleven years with the group, guitarist Phil May leaves the Pretty Things.

1977: The night before their royal wedding, Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath are serenaded in a Stockholm performance by the nation's biggest export, ABBA.

1984: Dolly Parton releases the unfortunate career misstep Rhinestone in US movie theaters, featuring Parton as a country crooner who teaches Sylvester Stallone how to sing in the style.

1987: After only two years of marriage, Bruce Springsteen is separated from his first wife, model and actress Julianne Phillips.

1993: Having sold their label to Polygram three years earlier for half a billion dollars, A&M label founders Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss announce their intention to leave the company entirely. Begun in 1962, A&M was one of the first artist-owned labels, and the first successful independent label.

2002: Billy Joel is admitted to Connecticut's Silver Hill Hospital for ten days in order to get his drinking under control.

2004: Ray Charles' funeral is held in Los Angeles at the First AME Church, featuring performances by Stevie Wonder, Glen Campbell, B.B. King, Wynton Marsalis, and Willie Nelson. Non-performing attendees include Little Richard, Clint Eastwood, and Berry Gordy, Jr.

Recording

1958: Connie Francis, "Stupid Cupid"
1959: Fats Domino, "I Want To Walk You Home"

Charts

1977: Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" hits #1
1977: James Taylor's "Handy Man" enters the charts

Certifications

1976: Electric Light Orchestra's LP OLE ELO is certified gold

[^] Happy 70th Birthday To Paul McCartney!! [^]

On June 19th in music history:

Births

1902: Guy Lombardo
1925: Charlie Drake
1936: Tommy DeVito (The Four Seasons)
1936: Shirley Goodman (Shirley and Lee)
1939: Al Wilson
1942: Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane (Spanky and Our Gang)
1944: Robin Box (White Plains)
1948: Nick Drake
1950: Ann Wilson (Heart)
1953: Larry Dunn (Earth, Wind and Fire)

Deaths

1997: Bobby Helms

Events

1958: Buddy Holly records his first solo songs, "Early In The Morning" and "Now We're One," at Decca's Pythian Temple Studios in New York.

1960: At the height of the folk-music boom, The Kingston Trio premiere their own self-titled weekday show on CBS radio.

1963: For the first time, Ringo Starr uses his new Ludwig drum kit, complete with the famous "Beatles" logo, onstage as the group performs at London's Playhouse Theatre.

1965: The Kinks and the Moody Blues both make their US stage debut in the same show, held at New York's Academy of Music.

1967: Answering questions about a controversial interview he'd recently given to the Daily Mirror, Paul McCartney shocks the British public by admitting on BBC television that he's taken LSD four times.

1973: A strange musical ode to sci-fi and other Fifties kitsch starring Tim Curry, The Rocky Horror Show, opens as a stage show at the Royal Court's Theatre Upstairs in London.

Roberta Flack's first (and last) television special, Roberta Flack... The First Time Ever, also starring The Blossoms and Seals & Crofts, airs on ABC.

1976: "Rollermania" hits the US as the Bay City Rollers begin their first-ever American tour with a concert in Atlantic City.

1980: David Geffen's new self-titled record label makes its first signing... disco diva Donna Summer.

2000: At Bob Dylan's concert in Portland, OR, British sign-language expert Professor Patrick Ladd "signs" the folk-rocker's famous lyrics for the hearing-impaired.

2009: North Wilkesboro, NC holds a festival in honor of their late great native son, singer Oliver of "Good Morning Starshine" fame.

Releases

1964: The Beatles, Long Tall Sally EP (UK)

Recording

1961: Bobby Darin: "Things," "You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby"
1962: Nat "King" Cole, "Ramblin' Rose"
1967: The Beatles, "All You Need Is Love"

Charts

1947: The Harmonicats' "Peg O' My Heart" hits #1
1961: Pat Boone's "Moody River" hits #1
1965: The Four Tops' "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" hits #1
1965: Ian Whitcomb's "You Turn Me On" enters the charts
1971: Carole King's "It's Too Late" hits #1

Certifications

1973: The Edgar Winter Group's "Frankenstein" is certified gold