1941: Neil Landon (The Flowerpot Men)
1943: Mick Jagger
1949: Roger Taylor (Queen)
1950: Duncan Mackay (10cc)

Deaths

1990: Brent Mydland (The Grateful Dead)
1992: Mary Wells

Events

1965: Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson marries Carol Freedman, the first of what would be four wives, in Los Angeles.

1968: Much to Mick Jagger's fury, the new Rolling Stones album Beggar's Banquet, scheduled to be released today in the US, is held back after Atlantic fears the cover, featuring a filthy men's room urinal with graffiti on the walls, will be found offensive. The album is eventually released with an all-white cover that looks like an invitation. (The original cover is now available on CD.)

The Jackson 5, discovered by Motown mainstay Gladys Knight (not, as legend has it, Diana Ross), signs to the label today for a one-year contract.

1969: The Rolling Stones' founding member and guitarist Brian Jones, found dead in his swimming pool just weeks earlier, is memorialized on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.

The 5th Dimension's two lead singers, Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr. are married. The duo will score their own hit in 1977 with "You Don't Have To Be A Star (To Be In My Show)."

1974: London graffiti artists hired by the Rolling Stones' management spray paint various local sites as promotion for the groups' latest single, "It's Only Rock And Roll."

1976: With endless touring and recording, as well as various addictions, tearing the band apart, Three Dog Night plays their last concert tonight in San Francisco, CA. (The group would reunite in 1981, but that reunion would prove short-lived.)

1977: While on tour in New Orleans, Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant receives shocking news by phone: his eldest son Karac has died of a respiratory infection, causing the remainder of the group's tour dates to be canceled -- and rumors to begin swirling about guitarist Jimmy Page's interest in the occult and a "curse" it might have laid on the band.

1987: Billy Joel plays an historic concert in Leningrad, one of the first major filmed concerts behind the "Iron Curtain" of Soviet Russia and a huge hit with local fans, who carry Joel off the stage in triumph at the end of the set. The show will eventually be released as the album KOHUEPT(Concert).

1992: KISS frontman Paul Stanley marries Pamela Bowen.

2000: The file-sharing service Napster is ordered by a US federal judge to cease trading copyrighted music files in the next 48 hours.

2003: Vegas mainstay Tom Jones in inducted into the Gaming Hall Of Fame, along with Harrah's exec Phil Satre.

2006: Arvel Jett Reeves is sentenced to eight months in jail for "bugging" Michael Jackson's Gulfstream jet with two digital video recorders in order to get some media-worthy private conversation.

Paul McCartney's first guitar is sold at an Abbey Road Studios auction for 330,000 pounds, or about half a million US dollars.

Releases

1960: Sam Cooke, "Chain Gang"
1963: Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, "Mickey's Monkey"

Recording

1939: Glenn Miller, "Baby Me"
1942: Judy Garland and Gene Kelly, "For Me And My Gal"
1960: Hank Ballard and the Midnighters, "Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go"
1966: The Monkees, "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone"
1968: Jeannie C. Riley, "Harper Valley P.T.A."

Charts

1952: Rosemary Clooney's "Half As Much" hits #1
1975: Van McCoy's "The Hustle" hits #1
1975: The Eagles' One Of These Nights LP hits #1

Certifications

1974: John Denver's "Annie's Song" is certified gold

Happy 69th Birthday to Mick Jagger!! [^]

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On July 27th in music history:

Births

1922: Bob Thiele
1927: Bob Morse (The Hi-Los)
1929: Harvey Fuqua (The Moonglows)
1933: Nick Reynolds (The Kingston Trio)
1943: Al Ramsey (Gary Lewis and the Playboys)
1944: Bobby Gentry
1947: Andy McMaster (The Motors)
1949: Maureen McGovern
1950: Michael Vaughn (Paper Lace)

Deaths

1990: Bobby Day
1999: Harry "Sweets" Edison
2001: Harold Land
2001: Leon Wilkeson (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
2002: John Entwistle (The Who)

Events

1958: A study by Esso oil (formerly Standard Oil, eventually Exxon) finds that drivers speed more and therefore waste more gas when listening to the new fad of rock and roll music.

1968: A riot erupts at Chicago's Grant Park after Sly and the Family Stone fail to appear for a free concert.

1969: Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees collapses from "nervous exhaustion" just as the group is about to embark on its first US tour, but it's actually a ruse designed to hasten his exit from the group.

1974: After 23 years, Dinah Shore leaves the NBC-TV network when it cancels her morning program Dinah's Place in order to concentrate on game shows.

1976: John Lennon ends his four-year fight to stay in the US as a special government hearing granted him a green card (Number A-17-597-321).

Bruce Springsteen's meteoric career rise is stalled when he sues manager Mike Appel for fraud and breach of contract, keeping him from performing or recording for over a year.

After years of alleged physical and verbal abuse, and having left over the Fourth of July with nothing but pocket change and a gas station credit card, Tina Turner files for divorce from her husband of sixteen years, Ike.

1979: A firebomb destroys Alice Cooper's Indian art store in Scottsdale, AZ, causing $200,000 in damage to, among other things, some of Cooper's gold records. The singer jokes that perhaps a "disco music freak" torched the place, as Alice had been quite vocal about not liking the new musical trend.

1992: Michael Jackson sues the London tabloid Daily Mirror over claims that too many plastic surgeries had left him permanently disfigured.

1994: Bob Seger serves jury duty in Michigan and, as the foreman in a criminal trial, finds the defendant guilty.

2006: The company behind file-sharing service Kazaa agrees to pay record labels over $115 million in damages for piracy.

Releases

1959: Santo and Johnny, "Sleepwalk"
1968: The Rascals, "People Got To Be Free"
1968: Mama Cass Elliot, "Dream A Little Dream Of Me"
1974: Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Sweet Home Alabama"

Recording

1942: Peggy Lee, "Why Don’t You Do Right"
1961: The Tokens, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"

Charts

1955: Chuck Berry's "Maybellene" enters the R&B charts
1957: The Bobbette's "Mr. Lee" enters the charts
1974: John Denver's "Annie's Song" hits #1

On July 28th in music history:

Births

1901: Rudy Vallee
1915: Frankie Yankovic
1937: Peter Duchin
1938: George Cummings (Dr. Hook)
1943: Mike Bloomfield
1945: Rick Wright (Pink Floyd)
1946: Jonathan Edwards
1949: Simon Kirke (Free, Bad Company)
1949: Peter Doyle (The New Seekers)
1949: Steve Took (T. Rex)
1962: Rachel Sweet

Deaths

1996: Marge Ganser (The Shangri-Las)
2000: Jerome Smith (KC and the Sunshine Band)
2004: George Williams (The Tymes)

Events

1933: The first singing telegram is sent -- to a popular singer, crooner Rudy Vallee, on the occasion of his 32nd birthday.

1954: Elvis Presley gets his first interview, with an article published in his hometown paper, the Memphis Press-Scimitar.

1956: Gene Vincent makes his first national TV appearance, singing "Be-Bop-A-Lula" on NBC'sThe Perry Como Show.

1957: Jerry Lee Lewis makes his first national TV appearance, singing "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" on NBC's The Steve Allen Show.

1968: The Beatles hold their "Mad Day Out," an all-day group photography session across London, which produces most of their well-known latter-day photographs, including the cover of Life and the inside gatefold of their Beatles 1967-1970 album.

1969: After a Moscow magazine explains how to turn an acoustic guitar into an electric one using only parts from a telephone, police report that thousands of the city's phone booths have been stripped.

1970: The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger makes his acting debut in Ned Kelly, a film about the legendary Australian outlaw, which makes his debut in Kelly's own hometown of Glenrowan.

1973: One of the last of the great outdoor rock festivals was held at Watkins Glen racetrack in New York, with over 600,000 attending a "Summer Jam" featuring the Grateful Dead, the Allman Brothers, and The Band. This was the largest human gathering ever assembled at the time.

1985: Portland, OR, declares today "Kingsmen Day" in honor of their garage-rock native sons, who scored a legendary hit with their version of "Louie Louie."

1987: The Beatles' company, Apple, sues shoemaker Nike, Capitol Records, EMI, and Wieden+Kennedy advertising agency for $15 million for unauthorized use of the Beatles' song "Revolution" in one of their "Nike Air" TV ads. Nike claimed it had paid their US label, Capitol, $250,000 for the rights, and also that Yoko Ono had given her blessing. The suit was eventually settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

1989: Anne Murray opens the Anne Murray Centre, a multimedia museum of her career, in her hometown of Springhill, Nova Scotia.

1992: Patti Labelle walks offstage during her concert in Warwick, RI, having complained to the audience about the catering backstage.

1995: After decades of legal wrangling, James Al Hendrix, surviving father of Jimi, is once again granted legal use of his son's name and likeness for merchandising.

Releases

1973: Grand Funk Railroad, "We're An American Band"

Recording

1939: Judy Garland, "Over The Rainbow"
1961: The Tokens, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"
1969: The Beatles: "Polythene Pam," "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window"

Charts

1951: Rosemary Clooney's "Come On-A My House" hits #1
1954: The Crew Cuts' "Sh-Boom" hits #1
1956: Elvis Presley's "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" hits #1
1958: Doris Day's "Everybody Loves A Lover" enters the charts
1958: The Poni Tails' "Born Too Late" enters the charts
1958: The Elegants' "Little Star" enters the charts
1962: Tommy Roe's "Sheila" enters the charts
1973: Chicago's Chicago IV LP hits #1

Certifications

1976: The Steve Miller Band's Fly Like An Eagle LP is certified gold

On July 29th in music history:

Births

1887: Sigmund Romberg
1917: Henry D. "Homer" Haynes (Homer and Jethro)
1933: Randy Sparks (The New Christy Minstrels)
1946: Neal Doughty (REO Speedwagon)
1947: Carlo Paul Santanna (Paper Lace)
1953: Geddy Lee (Rush)

Deaths

1955: Les Elgart
1974: Cass Elliot (The Mamas and the Papas)
1988: Pete Drake
1993: Ed Guzman (Rare Earth)
1999: Anita Carter (The Carter Family)
2004: Huby Heard

Events

1961: Dick Clark presents his very first Caravan of Stars revue at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City, NJ, featuring The Jive Five, the Shirelles, and Clarence "Frogman" Henry.

1963: Capitol Records sends disc jockeys around the US a list of hot rod terms to assist DJs when talking about the latest music trend.

1965: The Beatles' second movie, Help!, premieres in London at the Pavilion Theatre, with none other than the Queen attending. (Though reviews are mixed, the movie is a financial success.) Later, manager Brian Epstein and the group attend a post-premiere reception at the Dorchester Hotel.

1966: While out riding his Triumph 500 motorbike near Woodstock, NY, Bob Dylan's brakes lock up, causing him to fly of the bike, seriously injuring his neck vertebrae. Dylan was absent from the public spotlight for a full nine months, with rumors circulating that he'd actually broken his neck. Decades later, there's still some doubt as to how exaggerated his condition was; some claim he privately sought to use the injury as an excuse to disappear from the spotlight (or that there was no accident at all). The hiatus gives him a chance to record what would become known as the "Basement Tapes" in a big pink house in Woodstock with a band called The Hawks, who would later record their first album, Music From Big Pink.

Cream make their stage debut, playing at Manchester, England's Twisted Wheel club.

The US teen magazine Datebook reprints a John Lennon quote from an interview, conducted by Maureen Cleave, which had been published in the London Evening Standardnewspaper: "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."
The resulting uproar causes the Beatles' records to be burned in America, especially the South, and death threats to be issued against the band on their upcoming US tour -- despite a hastily assembled press conference in Chicago, at which John explains, "If I had said television is more popular than Jesus, I might have got away with it, but I just happened to be talking to a friend and I used the words "Beatles" as a remote thing, not as what I think - as Beatles, as those other Beatles like other people see us... I'm not saying that we're better or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it's all this... I never meant it to be a lousy anti-religious thing. I apologize if that will make you happy. I still don't know quite what I've done. I've tried to tell you what I did do but if you want me to apologize, if that will make you happy, then OK, I'm sorry."

1968: Refusing to play in front of the country's segregated audiences, Gram Parsons leaves the Byrds on the eve of a South African tour.

1970: The Rolling Stones' contract with Decca expires, and the group takes the opportunity to split with notorious manager Allen Klein. Delivering one more song to the label to fulfill its obligation, the famously unreleasable "C********* Blues," they also begin the process of forming their own label, Rolling Stones Records (which will feature the debut of the band's new "lips" logo).

1973: While performing on stage at Madison Square Garden, Led Zeppelin has $180,000 of their gate receipts from the previous night's show stolen from their safe at the Drake Hotel. This incident, one of the largest such crimes in the history of NYC, will be immortalized in the band's 1976 concert documentary The Song Remains The Same. The crooks are never found.

1980: David Bowie makes his stage debut in the off-Broadway production of The Elephant Man, held in Denver, CO. The show gets rave reviews, as does Bowie's performance.

1986: Seventies soft-rocker Paul Davis ("I Go Crazy") is gutshot during an attempted robbery at a Nashville hotel. He eventually recovers.

1987: Michigan governor James Blanchard declares today "Four Tops Day" in honor of the Motown legends.

Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream introduces their signature flavor (and first celebrity-themed flavor): Cherry Garcia, named after the Grateful Dead head Jerry Garcia.

1990: Elton John checks into a hospital in Chicago, IL, for bulimia and substance abuse.

1998: Miramax studios announces their purchase of the rights to the Beatles' 1964 film A Hard Day's Night, intending to remaster it in time for the film's 35th anniversary.

2005: An anonymous bidder plays one million dollars for the original handwritten lyrics to the Beatles' "All You Need Is Love" at the Hippodrome nightclub in London.

Releases

1963: Peter, Paul and Mary, "Blowin' In The Wind"
1967: The Temptations, "You're My Everything"
1978: Kenny Loggins and Stevie Nicks, "Whenever I Call You Friend"

Recording

1959: The Isley Brothers, "Shout"
1968: The Beatles, "Hey Jude"
1969: The Beatles: "Come Together," "Sun King," "Mean Mr. Mustard"

Charts

1967: The Doors' "Light My Fire" hits #1
1972: Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again (Naturally)" hits #1
1973: The Grease soundtrack LP hits #1
1978: The Village People's "Macho Man" enters the charts

Happy 59th Birthday to Geddy Lee!! [^]

On July 30th in music history:

Births

1929: Christine McGuire (The McGuire Sisters)
1936: Buddy Guy
1941: Paul Anka
1945: David Sanborn
1946: Jeffrey Hammond (Jethro Tull)
1947: Marc Bolan (T. Rex)
1949: Andy Scott (Sweet)
1949: Joyce Jones (First Choice)
1949: Hugh Nicholson (Marmalade)

Deaths

1955: Les Elgart
1978: Glen Goine (Parliament-Funkadelic)
2003: Sam Phillips

Events

1942: Frank Sinatra ends his association with the Tommy Dorsey orchestra, recording the last two of over 90 songs before moving on to great acclaim as a solo star at Columbia.

1954: Elvis Presley makes his first official concert appearance as a solo act, opening for Slim Whitman at Memphis' Overton Park Shell outdoor auditorium, billed third as "Ellis Presley" and performing "That's All Right, Mama," "Blue Moon Of Kentucky," and "I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin')." In the middle of the first song, a badly stage-frightened Elvis unconsciously begins to duplicate a move he usually made in the studio, shaking his leg in time with the music. The crowd of (mostly) girls goes absolutely wild, confusing Elvis and his band.

1968: The Beatles' Apple Boutique, a psychedelic clothing store located at 94 Baker Street in London, closes for business after seven months of bad business practices and rampant theft. With the group and its intimates having had the pick of the remaining inventory the night before, Apple Boutique employees are instructed to simply let people in off the street to take whatever merchandise they like. The store was closed that evening for good.

1969: The Beatles, producer George Martin, and the Abbey Road engineers assemble the first rough cut of the proposed Abbey Road medley. Paul McCartney, feeling that the song "Her Majesty" distracts from the flow of the medley, has it removed and orders it erased. Second engineer John Kurlander, not wanting to destroy a Beatles song, instead appends it to the end of the medley tape, adding 15 seconds of leader to make sure it's kept separate. When he finds out, Paul likes the effect so much that he leaves the ending of the album just that way.

1986: Variety reports that RCA has fired John Denver after learning of his new single, entitled "What Are We Making Weapons For?" General Electric, which had just bought out RCA, was one of the country's largest defense contractors.

2003: In order to prove that the city is still safe to visit after a recent SARS outbreak, Toronto, Canada puts on the largest concert in the country's history, a massive open-air extravagaza featuring The Rolling Stones, The Guess Who, Rush, The Isley Brothers, The Flaming Lips and Justin Timberlake, among others. Total attendance is somewhere around 450,000.

2004: While walking around London, the Isley Brothers' Ronald Isley suffers a minor stroke and is admitted to a local hospital. He recovers in a matter of just a few weeks.

Recording

1942: Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey, "There Are Such Things"
1956: Brenda Lee: "Jambalaya," "Bigelow 6-500"
1963: The Beatles: "Please Mr. Postman," "It Won't Be Long," "Money (That's What I Want)," "Till There Was You," "Roll Over Beethoven," "All My Loving"
1969: The Beatles: "You Never Give Me Your Money," "Come Together," "Polythene Pam," "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window," "Golden Slumbers," "Carry That Weight"

Charts

1966: The Troggs' "Wild Thing" hits #1
1966: The Beatles' Yesterday ...And Today LP hits #1
1977: Andy Gibb's "I Just Wanna Be Your Everything" enters the charts

On July 31st in music history:

Births

1911: George Liberace
1918: Hank Jones
1923: Ahmet Ertegun
1931: Kenny Burrell
1939: John West (Gary Lewis and the Playboys)
1942: Daniel Boone
1943: Lobo
1945: Gary Lewis (Gary Lewis and the Playboys)
1946: Bob Welch (Fleetwood Mac)
1947: Karl Green (Herman's Hermits)
1953: Hugh McDowell (Electric Light Orchestra)

Deaths

1964: Jim Reeves

Events

1845: France's army gives legitimacy to Belgian Adolphe Sax's latest invention, the saxophone, by including it in their marching band.

1951: Ray Charles marries his first wife, Eileen Williams, a beautician from Chicago, in Fulton County, GA. The marriage lasts only one year.

1959: England's first big rock-era sensation, Cliff Richard, scores his first #1 in that country with "Living Doll," which would eventually go on to sell half a million records.

1967: The drug conviction appeals of the Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, stemming from an earlier marijuana bust in February, are heard in London, with Richards' conviction overturned and Jagger's sentence reduced to probation.

1969: After two hours of opening acts (during which time he grapples with a severe case of stage fright), Elvis Presley debuts his new Vegas show at the International Hotel, his first stage appearance anywhere since 1961. The show goes on at 10:15 pm with a fiery rendition of "Blue Suede Shoes" and is an instant sensation, with the audience, filled with members of the press corps, A-list celebrities, and former Presley associates like Sam Phillips, rapturous in its appraisal. Later that evening manager Colonel Tom Parker renegotiates Elvis' contract on a pink tablecloth in the hotel coffee shop, a contract which will guarantee the singer one million dollars per year through 1974 (minus expenses). Presley's contract holds him to only two months a year, which will allow him to get back out on the road, as well.

1971: After being denied entrance to a Who concert in New York City's Forest Hills Stadium, an ex-convict stabs and kills the security guard.

1977: The Starland Vocal Band of "Afternoon Delight" infamy debut their own summer replacement variety series on CBS.

1979: Donny Osmond's wife, Debra Glenn, gives birth to their first child, Donny Jr.

1980: Mamas and the Papas founder and vocalist "Papa" John Phillips is arrested for possession of cocaine and running a phony prescription scam with a local pharmacy and eventually sentenced to eight years in prison (though this sentence would later be reduced to 30 days in jail and community service).

1995: Jamaica issues a commemorative series of postage stamps honoring local native and reggae legend Bob Marley.

2004: The city of Lubbock, TX, declares today "Mac Davis Day" after its hometown singer-songwriter. Mayor Marc McDougal also dedicates a section of Avenue O as "Mac Davis Lane."

Releases

1976: Blue Oyster Cult, "Don't Fear The Reaper"
1976: Orleans, "Still The One"

Recording

1942: Harry James, "I've Heard That Song Before"
1959: Neil Sedaka, "Oh! Carol"
1969: The Beatles: "You Never Give Me Your Money," "Golden Slumbers," "Carry That Weight"

Charts

1971: James Taylor's "You've Got A Friend" hits #1
1976: George Benson's Breezin' LP hits #1
1978: The Rolling Stones' "Miss You" hits #1

Certifications

1972: Chicago's Chicago V LP is certified gold

On August 1st in music history:

Births

1942: Jerry Garcia (The Grateful Dead)
1946: Boz Burrell (Bad Company)
1947: Rick Coonce (The Grass Roots)
1947: Rick Anderson (The Tubes)
1951: Tommy Bolin

Deaths

1964: Johnny Burnette
1996: Bill Buchanan (Buchanan and Goodman)

Events

1942: In response to what it sees as a threat from the new fad, phonograph records, the American Federation of Musicians goes on strike (but only for recording, not live, gigs).

1954: Alan Freed presents his first Moondog Jubilee Of Stars Under The Stars revue at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, New York, featuring Fats Domino, The Clovers, The Orioles, Muddy Waters, and Little Walter. It is the first large racially mixed crowd at a concert of this size.

1958: Feeling that label head Sam Phillips is spending too much time promoting Jerry Lee Lewis and not enough promoting him, Johnny Cash leaves Sun Records and signs with Columbia.

1960: For his embodiment of decadent American culture, Elvis Presley is named "Public Enemy Number One" by the East Berlin newspaper Young World.

Aretha Franklin begins her first non-gospel recording session, an abortive attempt at jazz-pop with the Columbia label.

1964: A report in Billboard claims that the harmonica is hip again thanks to the Beatles, Dylan, the Stones and Stevie Wonder.

A brand new group called "The Steampacket," featuring lead vocals by one Rod Stewart, opens for the Rolling Stones at the London Palladium.

1965: Marianne Faithfull collapses during a performance in Lancashire, England, and is taken to a hospital, canceling the remainder of her tour.

1966: Birmingham radio station WACI calls for the first "Beatles Burn-In," a bonfire of Beatles records to protest John Lennon's recent published comments that his group was "bigger than Jesus."

1969: Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys is indicted in Los Angeles for failing to perform his required community service hours, which were imposed upon him after he refused to be drafted as a conscientious objector; rather than the janitorial duty he was sentenced to at LA County Hospital, Wilson taught music classes there instead.

1970: After two years of sitting on the shelf (namely due to shocking sex and violence scenes), the gangster movie Performance, featuring the acting debut of the Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger, premieres in London.

1971: The first big all-star rock benefit concert, The Concert For Bangla Desh, was held in New York's Madison Square Garden, helmed by George Harrison and featuring Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Billy Preston, and Ringo Starr. The show raised $11 million for starving people in Bangladesh, a recently-liberated area of Pakistan.

The Sonny And Cher Comedy Hour premieres on CBS television.

1973: The first big oldies revival kicks off in earnest as George Lucas' new film, American Graffiti, premieres in Los Angeles. Portraying a night in the life of several California teenagers in 1961, it made stars out of Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, Cindy Williams, Mackenzie Phillips and more, and also inspired the ABC-TV smash Happy Days.

1976: Gladys Knight gives birth to her third child, Shanga-Ali.

1977: Elvis: What Happened? a tell-all book written by his closest confidantes Red West and Sonny West, hit the bookshelves and made no impact until Presley's death two weeks later, when it confirmed what many had suspected: that Elvis had been abusing prescription drugs. Some say the revelatory book hurt Elvis and indirectly hastened his demise.

1978: George Harrison and his bride-to-be Olivia Trinidad Arias announce the birth of their first child, Dhani.

1980: George Harrison forms a movie production company called Handmade Films, which would go on to produce films like Monty Python's Life of Brian, The Long Good Friday, Time Bandits, and Shanghai Surprise.

1984: Jermaine Jackson appears on an episode of CBS' long-running soap opera, As The World Turns.

1988: Cincinnati AM radio station WCVG changes its format, becoming the first US all-Elvis radio station. The concept died out within the year.

1994: The Rolling Stones politely refuse an invitation to play at the Clinton White House, though they would go on to play his 60th birthday party in 2006.

Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley announce their marriage in the Dominican Republic 11 weeks earlier.

Releases

1960: Chubby Checker, "The Twist"
1972: Elvis Presley, "Burning Love"

Recording

1942: Jimmy Dorsey, "Charleston Alley"
1969: The Beatles: "Because"

Charts

1959: Paul Anka's "Lonely Boy" hits #1
1964: The Beatles' "A Hard Day's Night" hits #1
1970: Chicago's "25 Or 6 To 4" hits #1

Certifications

1972: Chicago's Chicago V LP is certified gold

On August 2nd in music history:

Births

1900: Helen Morgan
1935: Hank Cochran
1937: Garth Hudson (The Band)
1939: Edward Patten (Gladys Knight and the Pips)
1941: Doris Kenner-Jackson (The Shirelles)
1941: Andrew Malcolm (The Herd)
1943: Kathy Lennon (The Lennon Sisters)
1951: Andrew Gold

Deaths

1972: Brian Cole (The Association)
1983: James Jamerson
1987: David Martin (Sam The Sham and the Pharaohs)
2001: Ron Townson (The 5th Dimension)

Events

1953: Skeeter Davis, still a member of the Davis Sisters, breaks both her arms and legs in a car crash near Cincinnati, OH, a crash which also kills fellow Davis "sister" Betty Jack Davis.

1956: This month's issue of Look magazine reports that Elvis Presley is now receiving 3,000 fan letters a week.

1961: The Beatles begin what would be a two-year stint as headliners at Liverpool's Cavern Club.

1962: Aretha Franklin makes her television debut, singing "Don't Cry Baby" and "Try a Little Tenderness" on ABC's American Bandstand.

Folk singer Robert Zimmerman has his name legally changed to Bob Dylan.

1963: Still rebuilding his career after the scandal of his marriage to 13-year-old second cousin Myra Gale Brown, Jerry Lee Lewis accepts $9,500 to open Las Vegas' new Thunderbird Hotel.

1969: Bob Dylan leaves his 10-year reunion at Hibbing High School in Hibbing, MN when a drunken former classmate picks a fight with him.

1971: Now down to a trio and riven by infighting, Creedence Clearwater Revival embark on their last US tour with a gig at Tulsa, Oklahoma's Assembly Center.

1973: "Papa" John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas files suit against his former label, Dunhill, alleging $60 million in unpaid royalties.

1982: Jose Feliciano marries Susan Omillian, in California.

1998: The Beatles win UK music magazine Mojo's "Favourite Recording Artist Of All Time," beating out Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Queen, and Elton John in that order.

1999: After a concert in San Diego, CA, Barry White is hospitalized for exhaustion.

2004: Eric Clapton bails out Cordings clothing store in London, a favorite of his since the age of sixteen, by purchasing a fifty percent share in the retailer.

2007: Elvis Presley Enterprises announces plans to revamp Graceland, the singer's home, with a visitor's center, convention hotel, and high-tech multimedia displays.

Keith Richards signs a seven-million-dollar deal for the rights to his upcoming autobiography, scheduled for release in late 2010.

Recording

1969: Badfinger, "Come And Get It"

Charts

1975: The Eagles' "One Of These Nights" hits #1

On August 3rd in music history:

Births

1902: Ray Bloch
1917: Charlie Shavers
1918: Les Elgart
1921: Richard Adler
1926: Tony Bennett
1935: Gordon Stoker (The Jordanaires)
1941: Beverly Lee (The Shirelles)
1946: John York (The Byrds)
1949: B.B. Dickerson (War)
1951: John Graham (Earth, Wind and Fire)
1953: Ian Brainson (Pilot)

Deaths

2006: Arthur Lee (Love)

Events

1959: Folk group The Kingston Trio are featured on the cover of Life magazine.

1963: After nearly 300 shows over two years, the Beatles play their last headlining gig at Liverpool's Cavern Club.

1971: Paul McCartney announces the formation of Wings, his first band since the breakup of the Beatles. It features ex-Moody Blues singer Denny Laine and Paul's wife Linda.

1974: Guitarist Jeff "Skunk" Baxter leaves Steely Dan to join the Doobie Brothers.

1993: Boston Ventures, the group to whom Berry Gordy had sold Motown in 1988 for $61 million, sells the label and its holdings to Dutch conglomerate Polygram for #325 million.

1999: Country legend Patsy Cline is awarded a posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Releases

1963: The Beach Boys, "Surfer Girl"
1963: Allan Sherman, "Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter from Camp)"

Recording

1966: The Rolling Stones, "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?"

Charts

1963: The Tymes' "So Much In Love" hits #1
1968: The Doore' "Hello, I Love You" hits #1
1974: Bad Company's Bad Company LP hits #1

Certifications

1971: Ringo Starr's "It Don't Come Easy" is certified gold

Happy 86th birthday to Tony Bennett!! [^]

On August 4th in music history:

Births

1901: Louis Armstrong
1921: Herb Ellis
1930: Bobby Day
1936: Elsbeary Hobbs (The Drifters)
1939: Frankie Ford
1939: Big Dee Irwin
1940: Larry Knechtel (Bread)
1941: Timi Yuro
1943: David Carr (The Fortunes)
1947: Paul Layton (The New Seekers)
1951: Roy Flowers (Sweet Sensation)

Deaths

2005: Little Milton
2007: Lee Hazlewood

Events

1957: The Everly Brothers cause a sensation by performing their upcoming single, "Wake Up Little Susie," on CBS' Ed Sullivan Show. The song, a lighthearted tale of two chaste lovers who accidentally fall asleep on a date and are then assumed to have "spent the night together," will be banned in some markets.

1958: Billboard combines its unwieldy system of five separate sales, jukebox, and DJ charts to make one master chart, the "Billboard Hot 100" we know today. The first #1 listed on it is Ricky Nelson's "Poor Little Fool."

1963: The Beatles make their first inroad to the American charts when their latest British single, "From Me To You," debuts at #116 in Billboard. Unfortunately, it stays there, due to problems with its American label (Vee Jay) and a cover version by Del Shannon that got the jump on it. It would take a massive promotional blitz by Capitol over the next five months to ensure a Beatles hit in America with the single "I Want To Hold Your Hand" b/w "I Saw Her Standing There" (Capitol 5112).

1966: South Africa bans all Beatles music as a result of John Lennon's recent "bigger than Jesus" comments.

1967: While on tour in Minneapolis, MN, a sixteen-year-old female fan stows away on the Monkees' plane en route to St. Louis, MO, opening the band up to charges from the girl's father of transporting a minor across state lines.

1970: Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson marries his second wife, Barbara Charren, in Los Angeles. The couple would divorce just four years later.

The Doors' Jim Morrison is arrested in Los Angeles for public drunkenness after being found lying unconscious on a resident's doorstep.

1972: The "blaxploitation" movie Superfly, featuring an acclaimed (and ironic) score from the Impressions' Curtis Mayfield, opens in the US.

1975: While vacationing on the isle of Rhodes in Greece, Led Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant and his family are badly injured in a car accident, forcing the cancellation of an upcoming US tour. Doctors tell Plant he may never walk again.

Releases

1956: Elvis Presley, "Hound Dog" b/w "Don't Be Cruel"
1974: Paul Simon, "Love Me Like A Rock"

Recording

1927: Jimmie Rodgers: "Sleep, Baby, Sleep," "Soldier's Sweetheart"
1969: The Beatles, "Because"

Charts

1956: The Platters' "My Prayer" hits #1
1958: Ricky Nelson's "Poor Little Fool" hits #1
1973: Maureen McGovern's "The Morning After (The Song From The Poseidon Adventure)" hits #1

On August 5th in music history:

Births

1926: Jeri Southern
1940: Damita Jo
1941: Airto Moreira (Weather Report)
1942: Rick Huxley (The Dark Clark Five)
1943: Sammi Smith
1946: Jimmy Webb
1947: Rick Derringer (The McCoys)
1947: Greg Leskiw (The Guess Who)
1953: Samantha Sang

Deaths

1962: Marilyn Monroe
1968: Luther Perkins
1992: Jeff Porcaro (Toto)
1993: Randy Hobbs (The McCoys, The Edgar Winter Group, Montrose)

Events

1957: WFIL-TV in Philadelphia's popular afternoon dance show, Bandstand, goes national, broadcast on ABC as American Bandstand (though interrupted for half an hour in the middle by The Mickey Mouse Club). Host Dick Clark's first guest was the Chordettes; the first record danced to on the show was Buddy Holly's "That'll Be the Day." It would run for thirty years straight until MTV hastened its demise in 1987.

Specialty Records hires a new A&R man named Sonny Bono.

1961: Themetta Suggs gives birth to Chuck Berry's second child, Chuck Berry Jr.

1965: Jan and Dean's upcoming debut movie, Easy Come, Easy Go, is canceled after an on-set railroad accident which injures seventeen crew members, along with breaking the leg of Jan Berry.

1972: Music mogul Clive Davis catches Aerosmith's act at Max's Kansas City in New York and immediately signs them for $125,000.

One of the first "Fifties revival" shows, The London Rock & Roll Show, is held for teddy boys and greasers at London's Wembley Stadium, featuring Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bill Haley, Bo Diddley, and Jerry Lee Lewis.

1975: Stevie Wonder signs the largest contract for a single artist in history: $13 million over seven years for seven albums with Tamla/Motown.

Kim Fowley forms the first all-female hard-rock band, The Runaways, featuring Joan Jett, future Bangle Michael Steele, and Lita Ford.

1976: NBC-TV airs the 15th anniversary Beach Boys special It's OK, featuring cameos by John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd.

1978: Pete Meaden, the Who's first manager and a pivotal figure in London's mod scene of the Sixties, dies at his parents' home after an intentional overdose of barbituates.

1980: The Osmonds officially disband.

1981: Olivia Newton-John is awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

1983: After sleeping through much of his trial, David Crosby (The Byrds and Crosby, Stills, and Nash) is sentenced to eight years for cocaine and firearm possession. Within a year, however, his conviction will be overturned.

1996: Soul singer Wilson Pickett checks into a court-ordered rehab for cocaine addiction.

2000: Legendary glam rocker Gary Glitter, awaiting trial on child pornography charges, revisits England for business and is harassed by a large crowd outside his West London home, causing the police to investigate.

2007: DNA tests prove that at least two of the twelve claimants to the estate and fortune of recently deceased soul legend James Brown are found to be legitimate. His will had already named six known children.

2007: Proctor and Gamble, maker of Luvs brand diapers, upsets Beatles fans around the world with their licensing of the song "All You Need Is Love" for a new television ad.

Releases

1959: Frankie Avalon, "Just Ask Your Heart"

Recording

1964: The Beach Boys, "When I Grow Up To Be A Man"
1959: The Isley Brothers, "Shout"
1969: The Beatles: "Because," "The End"

Charts

1978: The Rolling Stones' "Miss You" hits #1

On August 6th in music history:

Births

1921: Buddy Collette
1929: Mike Elliot (The Foundations)
1938: Isaac Hayes
1948: Allan Holdsworth (Soft Machine)

Deaths

1994: Domenico Modugno
2004: Rick James

Events

1956: The Alan Freed movie Rock! Rock! Rock! goes into production, featuring Tuesday Weld (her singing vocals dubbed by Connie Francis), Chuck Berry, Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers, The Moonglows, The Flamingos, and LaVern Baker.

1960: Looking for a drummer for a series of dates in Hamburg, Germany, The Beatles visit Liverpool's Casbah club to invite Pete Best, then of the Black Jacks, to join the group.

On ABC-TV's American Bandstand, Chubby Checker demonstrates The Twist for the first time, kicking off a dance craze craze that would last the better part of two years.

1964: Rod Stewart makes his TV debut on BBC-TV's The Beat Room, singing as a member of his group, The Hoochie Coochie Men.

1966: As the Fleet Street press in London reports on the "bigger than Jesus" controversy in America, Beatles manager Brian Epstein cuts his vacation short and flies to New York City for a televised press conference where he defends John Lennon's remarks, stating "The quote which John Lennon made to a London columnist has been quoted and misrepresented entirely out of context of the article, which was in fact highly complimentary to Lennon as a person... Lennon didn't mean to boast about the Beatles' fame. He meant to point out that the Beatles' effect appeared to be a more immediate one upon, certainly, the younger generation. John is deeply concerned and regrets that people with certain religious beliefs should have been offended."

1973: A log from a passing lumber truck crushes Stevie Wonder's car it speeds toward a North Carolina concert, leaving him in a coma for four days and causing him to permanently lose his sense of smell. Miraculously, he fully recovers and is back in the studio within weeks.

Releases

1955: Elvis Presley, "Mystery Train" b/w "I Forgot To Remember To Forget"

Recording

1972: Procol Harum, "Conquistador" (live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra)

On August 7th in music history:

Births

1921: Warren Covington
1925: Felice Bryant
1926: Stan Freberg
1931: Herb Reed (The Platters)
1936: Charles Pope (The Tams)
1939: Ron Holden
1942: B.J. Thomas
1943: Lana Cantrell
1945: Kerry Chater (Gary Puckett and the Union Gap)
1949: Carlo Novi (Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes)
1952: Andy Fraser (Free)

Deaths

1984: Esther Phillips
2001: Larry Adler

Events

1957: The Quarrymen (minus new member Paul McCartney, away at Scout camp!) make their debut at Liverpool's Cavern Club. Manager Alan Sytner instructs them not to play rock and roll, but midway through their skiffle performance, John lights into a version of Elvis' "Don't Be Cruel," which the crowd loves.

Paul Anka makes his US television debut, singing "Diana" on ABC's American Bandstand.

1963: The first of the Frankie Avalon / Annette Funicello "beach movies," Beach Party, opens in American theaters, featuring music by surf legend Dick Dale. Exactly 24 years later on this day, the reunion movie Back To The Beach opens, with Frankie and Annette cast as parents with wild and crazy teens of their own, and featuring music by Fishbone and Pee-Wee Herman.

1970: Christine Perfect, now married to bass player John McVie, joins her husband's band, Fleetwood Mac, as its first female member.

1974: J. Geils Band frontman Peter Wolf marries movie star Faye Dunaway in a Beverly Hills courtroom. They would divorce in 1979.

1981: In recognition of the continuing popularity of Claude King's novelty hit "Wolverton Mountain" -- a real mountain located in Conway County, Arkansas -- the state of Arkansas declares today "Wolverton Mountain Day."

1991: Paul Simon gives a free concert in Central Park, much as he had in 1981 with partner Art Garfunkel. The performance eventually became the album Paul Simon's Concert In The Park.

1996: A federal appeals court overturns the ruling that original Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers members Jimmy Merchant and Herman Santiago co-wrote the group's biggest hit, 1955's "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?," ruling that copyright claims must be filed within three years of the song's publication.

2000: Having recently won back merchandising rights for their son's famous name, the family of Jimi Hendrix succeeds in shutting down the faux-official website www.jimihendrix.com.

2003: The Osmonds are awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

2006: Barry Manilow cancels some dates at the Las Vegas Hilton while doctors attempt to repair torn cartilage in his hip.

2007: The Isley Brothers' Ron Isley begins serving a 27-month sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution at Terre Haute, IN for income tax evasion.

Releases

1965: The Turtles, "It Ain't Me Babe"

Recording

1937: Bunny Berigan, "I Can't Get Started"
1969: The Beatles, "The End"

Charts

1954: The Crew-Cuts' "Sh-Boom" hits #1
1965: Herman's Hermits' "I'm Henry VIII, I Am" hits #1
1965: The Beatles' Help! LP hits #1
1971: The Bee Gees' "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?" hits #1
1976: Elton John & Kiki Dee's "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" hits #1

Certifications

1975: The Rolling Stones' Made In The Shade LP is certified gold

On August 8th in music history:

Births

1907: Benny Carter
1921: Webb Pierce
1923: Jimmy Witherspoon
1926: Urbie Green
1932: Mel Tillis
1933: Joe Tex
1938: Connie Stevens
1939: Phil Balsley (The Statler Brothers)
1942: John David (Dr. Hook)
1944: Michael Johnson
1949: Keith Carradine
1949: Airrion Love (The Stylistics)
1950: Andy Fairweather-Low (Amen Corner)

Deaths

1975: Cannonball Adderley

Events

1923: A fourteen-year-old clarinet player named Benny Goodman lands his first professional gig, playing for a cruise ship operating on Lake Michigan near Chicago.

1958: Bing Crosby and wife Kathryn announce the birth of their first child (and Bing's fifth overall), Harry Lillis Crosby III.(Harry is Bing's real first name.)

1960: Decca Records in England refuses to release Ray Peterson's latest single, "Tell Laura I Love Her," going so far as to throw away 25,000 pressings of the teen-tragedy song, which they felt was "too tasteless and vulgar for the English sensibility." A cover by Ricky Valance proves them wrong by going straight to Number One. (The grisly song, in which a stock-car driver mutters the title words before he dies, ironically only reaches #7 in America.)

1969: Photographer Iain MacMillan shoots the cover for what would be the Beatles' last recorded album, Abbey Road, just outside the studios of the same name where the band recorded most of its classic songs. The photo, which merely shows the band crossing the street while walking away from the studio, has become iconic in its own right, and provides "Paul Is Dead" enthusiasts with several erroneous "clues" to his "death," including the fact that Paul is barefoot. (Supposedly this represents a corpse, but McCartney has stated that it was simply a hot day.) The shoot, which lasts ten minutes, produces six shots, from which Paul picks the cover.

1970: At Philadelphia's Mount Lawn Cemetary, Janis Joplin purchases a headstone for her idol, Bessie Smith, the famous African-American blues singer who died from injuries suffered in a 1937 car crash -- after being refused at a whites-only hospital. (Bessie's widower refused to purchase a stone for her.)

1975: Hank Williams, Jr. falls 500 feet down Ajax Mountain near Missoula, MT, exposing part of his brain and keeping him in and out of hospitals for the next two years. The resultant facial scars would inspire his trademark "hat, beard, and shades" look.

1983: Harold Melvin and three members of the Blue Notes are arrested for cocaine, marijuana, and meth possession at Caesars Boardwalk Regency Hotel Casino in Atlantic City.

1986: David Crosby (The Byrds, Crosby Stills & Nash) is released from prison after serving only eight months of his original five-year sentence for cocaine and firearms possession.

2000: Twenty-eight US states' attorney generals file a class-action suit alleging the major record labels of forcing "discount" CD stores to raise prices.

2005: Two jurors in the Michael Jackson molestation case tell NBC-TV's Today that they have come to regret their ruling of "not guilty."

Releases

1966: The Beatles, Revolver
1966: The Beatles, "Eleanor Rigby" b/w "Yellow Submarine"
1970: Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Looking Out My Back Door"

Recording

1934: Bing Crosby, "I Love You Truly"
1941: Les Brown and his Band of Renown, "Joltin' Joe Dimaggio"
1960: Roy Orbison, "Blue Angel"
1969: The Beatles: "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," "The End"

Charts

1953: Les Paul and Mary Ford's "Vaya Con Dios (May God Be With You)" hits #1
1960: Brian Hyland's "Itsy Bitsy, Teenie Weenie, Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" hits #1
1970: Blood, Sweat & Tears' Blood Sweat & Tears 3 LP hits #1

Certifications

1974: Eric Clapton's 461 Ocean Boulevard LP is certified gold
1974: Roberta Flack's "Feel Like Makin' Love" is certified gold

On August 9th in music history:

Births

1934: Merle Kilgore
1939: Billy Henderson (The Spinners)
1944: Vic Prince (The Pretty Things)
1946: John Parry (Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band)
1946: Marinus Gerritsen (Golden Earring)
1947: Barbara Mason
1947: Benjamin Orr (The Cars)

Deaths

1995: Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Events

1958: Cliff Richard, a seventeen-year-old who would become England's first homegrown rock star of note, signs his first recording contract with EMI.

1963: ITV television in Britain premieres the legendary rock and roll variety show Ready! Steady! Go!, which would run until 1966. The first episode features co-host Dusty Springfield as well as musical guests The Searchers, Pat Boone, and The Tremeloes.

1964: Bob Dylan and Joan Baez share the stage for the first time, singing "With God On Our Side" at the Newport Folk Festival.

The crowd of over three thousand at tonight's Rolling Stones gig in Manchester, England, prove hard to control, accidentally breaking the ribs of one policeman and causing another two to faint in the crush.

1967: At England's National Jazz and Blues Festival in Sunberry, Jerry Lee Lewis is kicked off the stage after the overenthusiastic crowd responds to his set with a near-riot.

1974: Four members of the jazz-rock group Chase, who'd scored a hit three years earlier with "Get It On," are killed in a plane crash near Jackson, MN, including leader Bill Chase.

1978: Muddy Waters performs at the Carter White House.

1985: After the massive success of the Motown 25 TV special on NBC, the network debuts the ill-fated Motown Revue variety series, which would only run for five weeks.

1986: Queen give what would prove to be their last live performance ever at the annual Knebworth Park Festival in England, closing as usual with "We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions" and "God Save The Queen."

1991: The 5th Dimension are awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

2002: Lisa Marie Presley is married to actor Nicolas Cage, in a union that lasts less than four months.

2007: As the first Phil Spector / Lana Clarkson murder trial winds down, the legal teams visit the famed producer's Alhambra mansion in California to take a look at the scene of the crime.

Releases

1969: Sly and the Family Stone, "Hot Fun In The Summertime"
1969: Three Dog Night, "Easy To Be Hard"

Recording

1932: Helen Morgan, "Bill"
1960: Johnny Horton, "North To Alaska"
1968: The Beatles, "Mother Nature's Son"

Charts

1959: Lloyd Price's "Stagger Lee" hits #1
1975: The Bee Gees' "Jive Talkin'" hits #1

On August 10th in music history:

Births

1909: Leo Fender
1928: Jimmy Dean
1928: Eddie Fisher
1940: Bobby Hatfield (The Righteous Brothers)
1943: Ronnie Spector (The Ronettes)
1943: James Griffin (Bread)
1946: Mick Clarke (The Rubettes)
1947: Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)

Deaths

1993: Edward Roberts (Ruby and the Romantics)
2006: Barbara George

Events

1959: Four members of the Platters -- the male four -- are arrested in Cincinnati and charged with "aiding and abetting prostitution, lewdness, and assignation" after local police found the singers in a Sheraton Gibson Hotel after-show party entertaining four scantily-clad nineteen-year-olds, including three white girls. The members would be acquitted of the charges in December, but in the meantime, the arrest led to the Platters being banned in several major radio markets.

1964: On his way to visit two injured fans in Liverpool, England, Mick Jagger is pulled over and fined 32 pounds for speeding and driving without insurance.

1970: Jim Morrison of the Doors goes on trial in Miami, FL, for an infamous incident on March 1, 1969, where he allegedly exposed himself on stage. (Though no doubt drunk, disinterested, and verbally taunting the audience, according to firsthand accounts, Morrison is generally thought these days to have been innocent of the major charge, sparking talk of a posthumous public vindication by Florida officials.)

1972: Paul and Linda McCartney are arrested backstage in Gothenburg, Sweden, for possession of six ounces of marijuana. The couple are released after paying a combined fine of $1,200.

1975: The jazz vocal group Manhattan Transfer debut their summer variety series on CBS-TV.

1976: Elton John begins a historic record-breaking ten-night run of concerts at New York City's Madison Square Garden.

1987: Wilson Pickett is found guilty of threatening patrons at a New Jersey bar with a loaded shotgun after a brawl inside the club. He is given two years' probation and fined $1000.

1987: A Chorus Line, the Broadway smash that had become the longest-running show on Broadway four years earlier, celebrates a historic 5,000th performance.

2004: The Rolling Stones' Charlie Watts confirms that he is undergoing treatment for throat cancer, which will eventually go into remission.

Releases

1964: The Beatles: "Do You Want To Know A Secret" b/w "Thank You Girl," "Please Please Me" b/w "From Me To You," "Love Me Do" b/w "P.S. I Love You," "Twist And Shout" b/w "There's A Place"
1963: Allan Sherman, "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter From Camp)"
1968: The Who, "Magic Bus"

Charts

1955: Chuck Berry's "Maybellene" enters the charts
1959: Elvis Presley's "A Big Hunk O' Love" hits #1
1959: Fats Domino's "I Want To Walk You Home" enters the charts
1963: Stevie Wonder's "Fingertips - Part 2" hits #1
1968: Cream's Wheels Of Fire LP hits #1
1968: The 1910 Fruitgum Company's "1-2-3 Red Light" enters the charts
1974: Roberta Flack's "Feel Like Makin' Love" hits #1
1974: John Denver's Back Home Again LP hits #1

On August 11th in music history:

Births

1925: Mike Douglas
1942: Mike Hugg (Manfred Mann)
1942: Guy Villari (The Regents)
1943: Kenny Gamble
1943: Jim Kale (The Guess Who)
1943: Denis Payton (The Dave Clark Five)
1948: Bill Hurd (The Rubettes)
1949: Eric Carmen (The Raspberries)
1950: Eric Braunn (Iron Butterfly)
1954: Bryan Bassett (Wild Cherry)

Deaths

1996: Mel Taylor (The Ventures)
2006: Mike Douglas

Events

1963: The Kingston Trio appear as the celebrity "mystery guests" on CBS-TV's What's My Line?.

1964: The Who, temporarily known as the High Numbers, take the stage at Harrow, England's Railway Hotel, but not before lead singer Roger Daltrey is involved in a fistfight with his father-in-law just outside.

The Beatles' first film, A Hard Day's Night, has its US premiere in New York City.

1966: The Beatles fly to Chicago to begin their last world tour and give a press conference at the Astor Towers Hotel at which John Lennon attempts to apologize for his recent "bigger than Jesus" remarks: "If I had said television is more popular than Jesus, I might have got away with it... originally I was pointing out that fact in reference to England-- that we meant more to kids than Jesus did, or religion, at that time. I wasn't knocking it or putting it down, I was just saying it as a fact... I'm not saying that we're better, or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is, you know. I just said what I said and it was wrong, or was taken wrong. And now it's all this..." Paul: "And this is the point-- you know, this is why we're getting in all these messes with saying things. Because, you know, we're just trying to move forwards. And people seem to be trying to just sort of hold us back and not want us to say anything that's vaguely sort of, you know, inflammatory... I think it's better for everyone if we're just honest about the whole thing." George: "Well, in the context that it was meant -- it was the fact that Christianity is declining, and everybody knows about that, and that was the fact that was trying to be made... I agree that it's on the wane." Ringo: "Well, I just hope it's all over now, you know. I hope everyone's straightened out, and it's finished."

1969: Diana Ross holds a party for 350 at Beverly Hills' Daisy Club to announce her discovery of the singing group the Jackson 5 -- even though Gladys Knight actually recommended them to Motown head Berry Gordy. That night, the group gains even more exposure by performing at the first Miss Black America pageant.

1972: The mayor of San Antonio, TX, declares today "Cheech and Chong Day" after the popular comedy duo, although neither was born anywhere near the city.

1973: Rather than join Paul McCartney in traveling to Nigeria to record the band's latest album, Band On The Run, Henry McCullough and Denny Seiwell both quit Wings, forcing Paul, wife Linda, and Denny Laine to record the album as a trio.

1976: Keith Moon of the Who is hospitalized after having a complete mental breakdown and trashing his room at the Fountainbleau Hotel in Miami, FL.

1982: Donna Summer has her first daughter, Amada Grace Sudano, with husband Bruce Sudano.

1986: Thanks to MTV's repeated marathons of their Sixties TV show, six vintage albums by The Monkees re-enter the Billboard album charts.

1987: Rolling Stone magazine declares the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band the best album of the last twenty years.

1989: Bruce Springsteen joins Ringo Starr onstage at a concert in Holmdel, NJ, to sing four songs: "Get Back," "Long Tall Sally," "Photograph," and "With A Little Help From My Friends."

1992: The vast Mall of America opens in Bloomington, MN with Ray Charles on hand to sing his famous version of "America The Beautiful."

1997: Sonny West, Red West, Lamar Fike and Marty Lacker, four of the biggest members of Elvis' "Memphis Mafia," recall the King in a one-time-only webchat.

1999: KISS are awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Releases

1962: The Beach Boys, "Surfin' Safari"
1962: Tony Bennett, "I Left My Heart In San Francisco"
1962: Booker T. and the M.G.s, "Green Onions"
1962: The Contours, "Do You Love Me"
1962: The Marvelettes, "Beechwood 4-5789"
1962: Ray Stevens, "Ahab The Arab"
1962: Mary Wells, "You Beat Me To The Punch"
1973: The Edgar Winter Group, "Free Ride"

Recording

1941: Glenn Miller, "Elmer's Tune"
1964: The Beatles, "Baby's In Black"
1969: The Beatles: "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," "Oh! Darling," "Here Comes The Sun"

Charts

1962: Neil Sedaka's "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" hits #1

Certifications

1958: Elvis Presley's "Hard Headed Woman" is certified gold

On August 11th in music history:

Births

1925: Mike Douglas
1942: Mike Hugg (Manfred Mann)
1942: Guy Villari (The Regents)
1943: Kenny Gamble
1943: Jim Kale (The Guess Who)
1943: Denis Payton (The Dave Clark Five)
1948: Bill Hurd (The Rubettes)
1949: Eric Carmen (The Raspberries)
1950: Eric Braunn (Iron Butterfly)
1954: Bryan Bassett (Wild Cherry)

Deaths

1996: Mel Taylor (The Ventures)
2006: Mike Douglas

Events

1963: The Kingston Trio appear as the celebrity "mystery guests" on CBS-TV's What's My Line?.

1964: The Who, temporarily known as the High Numbers, take the stage at Harrow, England's Railway Hotel, but not before lead singer Roger Daltrey is involved in a fistfight with his father-in-law just outside.

The Beatles' first film, A Hard Day's Night, has its US premiere in New York City.

1966: The Beatles fly to Chicago to begin their last world tour and give a press conference at the Astor Towers Hotel at which John Lennon attempts to apologize for his recent "bigger than Jesus" remarks: "If I had said television is more popular than Jesus, I might have got away with it... originally I was pointing out that fact in reference to England-- that we meant more to kids than Jesus did, or religion, at that time. I wasn't knocking it or putting it down, I was just saying it as a fact... I'm not saying that we're better, or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is, you know. I just said what I said and it was wrong, or was taken wrong. And now it's all this..." Paul: "And this is the point-- you know, this is why we're getting in all these messes with saying things. Because, you know, we're just trying to move forwards. And people seem to be trying to just sort of hold us back and not want us to say anything that's vaguely sort of, you know, inflammatory... I think it's better for everyone if we're just honest about the whole thing." George: "Well, in the context that it was meant -- it was the fact that Christianity is declining, and everybody knows about that, and that was the fact that was trying to be made... I agree that it's on the wane." Ringo: "Well, I just hope it's all over now, you know. I hope everyone's straightened out, and it's finished."

1969: Diana Ross holds a party for 350 at Beverly Hills' Daisy Club to announce her discovery of the singing group the Jackson 5 -- even though Gladys Knight actually recommended them to Motown head Berry Gordy. That night, the group gains even more exposure by performing at the first Miss Black America pageant.

1972: The mayor of San Antonio, TX, declares today "Cheech and Chong Day" after the popular comedy duo, although neither was born anywhere near the city.

1973: Rather than join Paul McCartney in traveling to Nigeria to record the band's latest album, Band On The Run, Henry McCullough and Denny Seiwell both quit Wings, forcing Paul, wife Linda, and Denny Laine to record the album as a trio.

1976: Keith Moon of the Who is hospitalized after having a complete mental breakdown and trashing his room at the Fountainbleau Hotel in Miami, FL.

1982: Donna Summer has her first daughter, Amada Grace Sudano, with husband Bruce Sudano.

1986: Thanks to MTV's repeated marathons of their Sixties TV show, six vintage albums by The Monkees re-enter the Billboard album charts.

1987: Rolling Stone magazine declares the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band the best album of the last twenty years.

1989: Bruce Springsteen joins Ringo Starr onstage at a concert in Holmdel, NJ, to sing four songs: "Get Back," "Long Tall Sally," "Photograph," and "With A Little Help From My Friends."

1992: The vast Mall of America opens in Bloomington, MN with Ray Charles on hand to sing his famous version of "America The Beautiful."

1997: Sonny West, Red West, Lamar Fike and Marty Lacker, four of the biggest members of Elvis' "Memphis Mafia," recall the King in a one-time-only webchat.

1999: KISS are awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Releases

1962: The Beach Boys, "Surfin' Safari"
1962: Tony Bennett, "I Left My Heart In San Francisco"
1962: Booker T. and the M.G.s, "Green Onions"
1962: The Contours, "Do You Love Me"
1962: The Marvelettes, "Beechwood 4-5789"
1962: Ray Stevens, "Ahab The Arab"
1962: Mary Wells, "You Beat Me To The Punch"
1973: The Edgar Winter Group, "Free Ride"

Recording

1941: Glenn Miller, "Elmer's Tune"
1964: The Beatles, "Baby's In Black"
1969: The Beatles: "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," "Oh! Darling," "Here Comes The Sun"

Charts

1962: Neil Sedaka's "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" hits #1

Certifications

1958: Elvis Presley's "Hard Headed Woman" is certified gold

This is/was certaintly a special day for Mike Douglas.

On August 12th in music history:

Births

1926: Joe Jones
1927: Porter Wagoner
1929: Buck Owens
1940: Rod Bernard
1941: Craig Douglas
1949: Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)

Deaths

1982: Joe Tex
1985: Kyu Sakamoto
1997: Luther Allison

Events

1877: Thomas Edison finishes the prototype of his new invention, the phonograph, and hands it over to his master mechanic John Kreusi to build. Kreusi bets Edison two dollars that the contraption will never work.

1957: Encouraged by Roulette exec George Goldner and his recent success in England, Frankie Lymon officially leaves his group, the Teenagers, to pursue a solo career.

1958: On "compassionate leave" from the Army, Elvis Presley travels to Memphis' Baptist Memorial hospital to be by the side of his mother, Gladys, who is quickly deteriorating from acute hepatitis.

1960: After "auditioning" for the band at the Jacaranda club (the band actually had no other prospects), Pete Best is hired as the Beatles' new drummer just as the band sets out for a series of dates in Hamburg, Germany.

1965: Jefferson Airplane make their stage debut, opening San Francisco's' new club The Matrix (3138 Fillmore).

1966: The Beatles begin the US leg of their last tour, playing a date at the International Amphitheater in Chicago, IL.

1967: Fleetwood Mac make their stage debut at the National Jazz and Blues Festival in Windsor, England, alongside such acts as Donovan, Cream, The Small Faces, and Chicken Shack, featuring a young Christine Perfect (later known as Christine McVie).

1968: The New Yardbirds, later to be known as Led Zeppelin, begin their first rehearsal beneath a record store at 22 Gerrard Street in Westminster, London, performing a cover of the old Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio number "Train Kept A Rollin'."

1970: At Harvard, Janis Joplin performs what would be her final concert, ending with a version of Gershwin's "Summertime."

The Hollywood Bowl holds a memorial concert for recently deceased folk legend Woody Guthrie, featuring (among others) Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, Richie Havens, Pete Seeger, Odetta, and Tom Paxton.

1994: The 25th Anniversary Woodstock concert, entitled "Woodstock '94," is held in Saugerties, NY, with over 30 bands playing for a crowd of about 350,000. The multi-day show is a huge success, with little hint of the violence that would mar the 30th anniversary concert.

1997: MTV debuts the Fleetwood Mac reunion concert The Dance, marking the first time the five had been on stage together since 1982.

1999: Governor Mel Carnahan of Missouri declares today "Porter Wagoner Day" in honor of the country legend.

The movie Detroit Rock City, produced by KISS and telling the story of KISS fans on their way to a KISS concert, opens nationwide.

Recording

1940: Will Bradley, "Down The Road Apiece"
1953: The Four Lads, "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)"
1958: The Crests, "Sixteen Candles"

Charts

1978: The Commodores' "Three Times A Lady" hits #1