When the world was flat...

mike stehr

...there was the Rega Planet.

I know this is kinda passe in this day in age of music servers and PC based music systems, but I'm gonna post it anyway.

I've pondered a music server like a squeezebox, and I'm still pondering. But when you have a mountain of CDs, and a mountain of CD players, it's more cheap to just think about it.

The two CD players that been my favorites, (the ones I paid the most for) were a Bob Carver tube CDP, and the Rega Planet. (Ol' Bob is long gone now) All the others were either aquired, thrift store bargain players, or budget DVD players.

Eventually like all older CD players, the Rega's pick-up laser assembly starting doing the "tic,tic,tic,tic,tic, metronome trip. I shelved it, thinking it'll be a chore to find the needed replacement parts, and too expensive for what it's worth. Recent internet searching out of boredom, I found out the Rega Planet uses a Sony KSS 240A laser pick-up and is readily availible. So I'm scrounging through listings on eBay, and one listing shows all the model Sony CDPs that use the KSS 240A.

Finally it dawned on me...Duh! I have junk Sony players in the back room. And a 1995 Sony CDP 315 gave up it's transport. Not just the laser pick-up assembly, the whole transport assembly is the same.

Flip over the Rega, unscrew the four allen screws the hold the top and bottom case together. Flip it back over. Carefully separate the top from the bottom case. Be careful and pay mind to the ribbon wire, and the wires for the micro stop switch for the transport. Carefully pull the ribbon wire from the main board. There will be enough length of wire from the micro stop switch to the main board to carefully manipulate and flip over the top case so the bottom of the transport can be accessed.

Pull the four screws the hold the transport to the top case, and pull the ribbon wire from the transport. The slot/hole in the top case for the hub/spindle is a bit tight, but will come out easily with a little manipulation. If the hub is turned so it's slots are at the sides of the case's hole/slot, it'll slip right in/out.

Put the scews back in, and re-connect the ribbon wire, paying attention to the way it's oriented. Check to see if it works before final assembly. Assemble the top case back to the bottom case...done. The Sony CDP 315 was typical front loader player, so the transport has springs where the blue grommets are located.

The Rega Planet does not use these springs, the transport is fixed to the top case. That's why the Rega Planet uses the spongy/springy feet. Just in case someone decides to try this sort of thing.

Keep in mind this is just swapping the transport with the pick-up assembly. In the event if one happens to purchase just the pick-up assembly, one will have dis-assemble the old pick-up from the old transport, and swap in the new laser pick-up assembly. It will a bit more difficult, but looks easily doable.

If one just happens to have a old Rega Planet shelved with a tired laser pick-up, it might be worth searching thrift stores or whatever for a model Sony CD player that use the KSS 240A. It's a easy swap... What sucks is I retired the Carver tube CD player, and I can almost bet it used the KSS 240A pick-up...oh well, life goes on...

Good as new. Or almost...

post-6643-13819686109242_thumb.jpg

Great story and repair. [<:o)]

Also, it is good to know about the sony replacement part. Heck, I too have lots of CD's and a pile o'players, not a "Rega Planet", but you never know. I really glad you posted this. I just may keep my eye's open for a Rega player locally. [Y]

Dennie

Thanks Dave.

I paid over 300 bucks for the player back in 2003 or 2004. Granted, it's been awhile and I plowed a many CD through that beast, but I won't feel justified until it's been run into the ground.

The laid back sound of the British CD player helps tame those hot sounding thrash CDs. ;) It's way more refined sounding than the common CDP thrift store bargains, and one reason I'm glad I fixed it.

But I have to make a plug for the older Pioneer six disc changers. While not really a refined audiophile type CD player, they are as mechanically reliable as a old jukebox. They usually won't break down.

Maybe I'll try it with the single-ended 6BQ5 Maggotbox.

Mike

post-6643-13819686139768_thumb.jpg

Great story and repair. Party!!!

Also, it is good to know about the sony replacement part. Heck, I too have lots of CD's and a pile o'players, not a "Rega Planet", but you never know. I really glad you posted this. I just may keep my eye's open for a Rega player locally. Yes

Dennie

I'm geussing, but it seems the most older common brands of CD players shared a common type transport/pick-up. I dunno... But if a guy has a CD player that he doesn't want to let go of, it may prudent to check the model # of pick-up/transport the said unit uses. It may be a cheap easy fix.