Hum

kde

I have had my system set up and running fine for a long time -- everything is neatly wired and in a rack set up connected to a furman elite conditioner. After not turning on the system for a week... I turned it on tonight and noticed a hum in the speakers. Everything is quiet until the audio signal is picked up and then the hum starts and does not go away.

I have the Emotiva UPA7 to the UMC1 with PS3 and Directv.

Thoughts?

The only thing that was plugged in was a wireless router for the ADT Pulse security system. This however was plugged into a secondary surge protector that is plugged into a separate outlet (however likely on the same circuit though).

The only thing that was plugged in was a wireless router for the ADT Pulse security system. This however was plugged into a secondary surge protector that is plugged into a separate outlet (however likely on the same circuit though).

complain to the ADT folks. let them know you were fine until they installed their device. they will probally have to install a DC block plug on the routers coax line.

The website says that model will not work with satellites. Directv is a satellite... right?

from the website:

For Analog and Digital Cable TV and Cable Modems

Solves "Ground Loop" and "Hum Bar" Problems

(Supercedes the VR-1FF)

***Important Installation Instructions***

**NOTE: This unit will NOT work with satellite systems**

So... can I use these isolators with Directv? The ADT people aren't being too helpful in helping resolving the ground loop...

Unplug the cable connection to the direct tv box but leave the box connected to everything else. If you still have a groundloop youve rules out the cable coax connection. I had ygnition which is dish for apartment communities and i will tell you that sattelite sucks in the area of strong connectivity. They are very sensitive to splitters and connections (i am speaking from experience). Sattelite is a great idea but the technology needs refinement IMO but to each their own.

If it is indeed the coax being the issues, call jensen and see what they can recommend for you.

thanks for the reminder -- I just sent him a note. I have two coax lines running from the satellite to the directv box. Why do I have two? Will I need these Jensen units for each line? I believe only one line makes a noise (so common sense tells me I only need one transformer). Agree?