Questions / Advice

Domain

I've been looking for a relatively "small" home theater setup, and after some debating (and reading some posts here), it seems System 6 would be the best choice. Now i've run into a few questions that hopefully someone could answer for me smile.gif

First of all, I am curious as to the SB1 vs the KSB1.1. Is this just a updated model? I spoke with my local (well not so local) dealer, and they weren't sure as to what the difference were...

Secondly, as far as component matching goes, if the KSB1.1 is a updated SB1, would it be suggested to move up to the SC1 & SS1, or remain with the SS-.5 / SC-.5? The speaker matching chart suggests this, just curious as to some user opinions. Ideally, i'm looking for a nice clean sound, as the room size is fairly small, and I won't be taking the volume very high (the neighbors already dislike me).

Finally, as far as a reciever is concerned, I already have a Sony STR-DE945, and am curious if you think this would be a good match for this particular setup. (Forgive me for my lack on knowledge on this topic).

I appreciate any information/comments that you might provide smile.gif

Domain

I appreciate the response. The naming convention had me somewhat confused, so I'm guessing i'll just go with the SB1/SC-.5/SS-.5.

As far as the RB-5 those are unfortunately going to remain out of reach, at least for the being.

Domain

I've been extremely impressed with what little i've seen of Klipsch's products, so they should sound good smile.gif

I have been scouring the forums all night though, and it seems the STR might not be the right choice (STR's are almost a bad word in some forums).

This might not be the right place to ask, but would I see a large difference in say a Denon 1801? The Sony was a "hand me down" situation, so i'm willing to put the extra cash in to a "better" reciever.

Domain

Domain,

I'm new to this as well, but after my research I went with a Yamaha RX-V2095, Klipsch SF-2 Mains, SC-1 Center, SS-1 Rear Effects, KSW-12 Subwoofer, and SB.5 for Front Effects. I also have a small area (15' x 15' or so) for listening, and in my opinion I did not go wrong. The sound is great, very clear and crisp, I dont hear any distortion - all in all, very nice. I dont think you will be going wrong with your speaker choice!

By the way, DougDrake gave me some advice on a different topic and he definitely seems to know his stuff.

Mike

Thanks for the comment, OM, but I actually just regurgitated (hope you're not eating) what I've learned from this board. This is a great learning place.

Re the Sony, I can't comment on that. There are mixed feelings on this board about them. The Yamaha RV-V2095 is in a whole 'nother league from the Denon 1801 - I wouldn't even compare them. I think Denon builds fine pieces for their various price points - I have a 3300 myself. Best way is to audition a couple amps in YOUR house if possible, and keep the best sounding one.

Thanks for the replies smile.gif

I've heard alot of good things about Denon 1801, and i've also been looking the Onkyo TX-DS575X, so at this point i'm just stuck with making the final decision. At this point in time, i'm really looking for $499 and under recievers, so these seem to be the most recommended. Either way, I'll would have use for both the existing / new reciever so...

Unfortunately, getting much "first hand" experience with the products is a problem for me. The nearest Klipsch dealer is almost 200 miles away, let alone any other "quality" audio dealers. So i'm going off a lot of opinion / reviews at this point.

I'll figure it out eventually tongue.gif

Once again, thanks for the help smile.gif

Domain

Good choice on speakers. The System 6 is great. As far as receivers you can't go wrong with Denon. In other words you won't go to a friends house and feel you wasted your money after hearing a different receiver. If I was buying a new receiver I would listen to Denon,Onkyo and Marantz. All 3 of these companies make great receivers, any of which will sound sweet.

I think i've made a decision, and am going with a Denon 2801. The 1801 is missing a few things, and I like the 5 channel stereo feature on the Denon's.

So now its a just a waiting game till it all gets here (Man the neighbors are going to hate me now) tongue.gif

Domain

Domain,

Sounds like you already purchased the Dennon 2801? I would have suggested that you wait to see how your Sony sounded with the System 6 package first. I heard all the same complaints about non-ES Sony products, but I'm perfectly happy with my Sony STR-925. I would put the $499 towards higher end Klipsch or even more software titles! I know that there are those who feel strongly about the quality of signal path/flow..."if you send a crap signal to the best speakers...it'll sound crappy". But if you haven't even heard you speakers through your Sony yet...what's the rush buy a new receiver? Just my two cents

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Just when you thought this thread died tongue.gif

Well, I ended up with the Synergy Towers (SF-1/SC-1/SS-1/KSW-10), which I hadn't looked at originally. I spent some time with the dealer, and eventually he twisted my arm until I bought them tongue.gif

They sound excellent (though I really haven't had a chance to put too much volume to them yet), though I'm a little worried about the output on the KSW-10. However, I haven't really done any calibration/tone levels yet (waiting for my backwoods Radio Shack to get a sound level meter in stock), so I figure it will be best to judge once that has been completed.

Anyway, thanks again for the previous assistance smile.gif

Domain

Domain - You updated us on what you bought speaker-wise, but didn't say anything about the reciever you settled on. Did you get the Denon 2801 or did you do as DLUngurait suggested - i.e. keep your Sony and put the money towards the Synergy towers?

Curious minds want to know. smile.gif

Tom Adams

Doug,

The local Radio Shack supposedly ordered me that model a few days ago...

I'm a little leary of having anything shipped lately, Fedex / USPS have "lost" 3 items shipped to me in the past month alone (its a conspiracy I think) tongue.gif

Tom,

Yes, I did end up purchasing the Denon 2801, and so far i'm extremely pleased with it. I'm still trying to get it setup "right", I'll figure it out eventually I suppose.

Domain

Thanks Doug smile.gif

My main concern right now is the sub, which has little or no audible output.

Currently this is how it is setup:

KSW-10 (low pass @ 100Hz, level @ max) connected to line in via Monster M351??? subwoofer cable (w/ y adapter) to the Denon.

The Denon is set to speakers all @ small, subwoofer to yes. However, even with the subwoofer level @ max, I have to crank the Denon subwoofer level to +6db or more to get any real audible output, otherwise, it just sits there looking pretty. (This is true for all sources, be it CD/DVD DD 2.0/DVD DD 5.1, etc).

Its a small room ( 10x12 ), so I figure it should be potent enough for my needs, but right now its producing say about 1/10th the output of my Promedia v.2-400 sub ( only thing I have ATM to use for comparison ).

I'm thinking the cable may be bad (after reading a similiar problem from the Powered Sub Topic), but unfortunately I can't get another until Monday (no one around here carries anything similar).

Domain

I had a similar problem when I connected my KSW12 using a Monster cable. Believe it or not, the cable I was using had arrows printed on it, that should point away from the receiver and to the subwoofer, it made a significant difference in my case, although I can't believe or convince myself that the Monster cable is actually directional. I guess I'll try it again one of these days.

Finally got home, checked the cable, it does have the same "signal path" printed on the my particular Monster cable, but alas it was already going in the correct direction.

Just for testing purposes, I reversed the cable, but it had no noticable effect.

Thanks for the advice though smile.gif

Domain