Marantz 2265B Worth? Thoughts?

oldmako

Gents,

Someone is dangling one of these in my face but its price isn't making me jump. I am the king of cheap! I picked up a 2240 for $40 and love it. Supposedly it's perfect, but I don't know if its got the wood case or not.

There are two on eBay at outrageous "Buy It Now" prices.

I'm going to guess that it sounds sweet judging by my 2240. But, what's it worth? I really don't need it, but I could always sell the 2240. It seems to me that the prices of quality 70-80s SS gear are going up lately. I wonder if people are getting tired of the nasty plastic cheap HT receivers so prevalent today.

I have a 2238B and I love it. I have no idea what they're worth but, they seem to hold their value. Right now I am running it with Forte II's and the sound is very warm and smooth and it looks great IMO. I think you'd enjoy it for sure.

Hope that helps.

I have a Marantz 2252B and from Ebay completed listings, the "sold for prices" are all over the board.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_nkw=Marantz+2252B&_sacat=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_odkw=Marantz+2265B&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Item image
Returns: Accepted within 3 days
Buy It Now
Sold
$7.30
Free shipping
End Date:Jan-26 17:37
Item image
Returns: Not accepted
1 Bid
Sold
$50.00 End Date:Jan-26 01:14
Item image
Get fast shipping and excellent service when you buy from eBay Top-rated sellers
8 Bids
Sold
$153.50 End Date:Jan-25 18:59
Item image
Returns: Accepted within 7 days
21 Bids
Sold
$295.00 End Date:Jan-23 17:00
Item image
1 Bid
Sold
$14.95 End Date:Jan-23 15:17
Item image
Get fast shipping and excellent service when you buy from eBay Top-rated sellers
2 Bids
Sold
$249.00 End Date:Jan-22 19:28
Item image
23 Bids
Sold
$214.50 End Date:Jan-22 19:21
Item image
8 Bids
Sold
$305.00 End Date:Jan-22 17:17
Item image
1 Bid
Sold
$299.99 End Date:Jan-19 10:50
Item image
Buy It Now $359.99 End Date:Jan-18 03:37
Item image
1 Bid
Sold
$195.00 End Date:Jan-17 18:12
Item image
0 Bids $199.00 End Date:Jan-17 16:53
Item image
21 Bids
Sold
$220.00 End Date:Jan-15 18:35
Item image
Buy It Now
Sold
$412.00 End Date:Jan-14 13:22
Item image
0 Bids
Buy It Now
$14.95
$19.95
End Date:Jan-13 16:27
Item image
0 Bids
Buy It Now
$9.95
$14.95
End Date:Jan-13 16:24
Item image
Buy It Now
Sold
$225.00 End Date:Jan-13 15:36
Item image
0 Bids
Buy It Now
$299.99
$349.99
End Date:Jan-03 07:58
Why don't we show the price?
Sellers have the right to set their own prices independently, but some manufacturers place restrictions on how these prices will be displayed or communicated to others.
Start of LayerEnd of Layer
Page 1 of 1
Previous 1234567 Next
Items per page:25 | 50 | 100 | 200

I found it on CL. He foamed at the mouth describing how perfect it was. As if it just left Japan perfect and was administered to by lovely young Geishas wearing the finest silk kimonos and white cotton gloves. My sphincter.

Pretty big (3/4") and very deep scratch on the pretty face. And for good measure, another smaller too, but just as evident. So, two strikes from MINT. No wood case. "I never let dust get in there, I kept a towel on top of it". OK, perhaps the overheating didn't cause the significant scratching on the face but what the hell is all the scratching in the left channel at bottom third of the volume pot or the balance pot? It needed some Deox and who knows what else. I didn't go any further with the demo. His price might have been fair if the unit was as described, but not as it actually was. Perhaps MINT means, "fair" in CL lingo.

So, I let it go and picked up a Marantz CD player for 50 bucks.

C 'est la vie.

I have a 2270 etched face ( kind of rare I'm told ) I purchased a few years ago supposed to be in perfect working order, have you heard that before, paid $300. Shipped it off to get refurbished, shipping $50, took 6 months to repair, cost plus shipping $550. Plugged it in and the dreded smoke, crap, packed it up, sent it back, shipping, #50. I got it back 1.5 years later. So what is it worth about $950, but it does sound wonderful and the pretty lights. No one said I was the smartest person around, I'm sure everyone has gotten themselves in this type of situation.

Cigarbum

Ouch. That had to hurt. Condition is everything in vintage, I am finding. And it is very hard to know what you are really buying. I had a 2238 that was fine for a few weeks and then just died. An NAD 7245 arrived with a disjointed cabinet... and then a 2226B came along that sings beautifully with no marks on it. I've considered having it restored but it ain't broke.

• 4 weeks later...