HT Room

allgonoshow

Hey guys,

I put on offer on a nice new home today.

It has a prewired HT room in the basement, which is cool.

One odd thing, the pigtails for the speakers, all come thru the walls, but the pigtails for the avr

are in the adjacent room, is this something that is done from time to time.

Seems odd to me. The builder wasn't there, only an agent, so I couldn't get to much info.

Anyone used this arrangement

some have an equipment room for everything that powers the theater and this could be what they were angling for.

Yup. It's a good thing that the equipment wiring is going to a different room. If you're going to have a dedicated theater, you don't really want your equipment to be out in the open -- not only is it æsthetically displeasing, but the displays and indicator lights on the equipment will wind up preventing the room from being completely dark.

• Moderators

but the displays and indicator lights on the equipment will wind up preventing the room from being completely dark.

People often say that but I have my equipment front center, under my projection screen. They are located behind fabric and the lights can be seen through the fabric but once the lights go out and the movie starts, I have never once noticed they are there. There is just so much contrast between the very bright screen vs the darkened room and even the lights from the equipment. Just my 2 cents.

To the OP, one great benefit of having your gear in another room is that audio gear generates heat and some gear have fans which are noise. Less noise and less heat in a room is a good thing. Only bad I can think of is you have to have RF to transmit or use IR repeaters and you will not be able to see the display on your receiver or Pre/Pro and to change a movie, you might have to exit the room to do so. Some trade offs either way you do it.

Only bad I can think of is you have to have RF to transmit or use IR repeaters and you will not be able to see the display on your receiver or Pre/Pro and to change a movie, you might have to exit the room to do so. Some trade offs either way you do it.

Most modern receivers will have an on-screen display that shows at least as much information as the front panel display does. I have all of my equipment in an enclosed closet (and I do use IR-RF repeaters to control it) and I get more than enough info from my receiver's OSD.