IR Repeaters to hide my stuff?

elitedemo

looking at having a custom tv stand built and I plan on hiding everything but the 360 and my Klipsch center, with the umc behind the wood doors im assuming id need some sort of ir repeater to get the signal through? anyone have much knowledge or good advice on this, and from having a logitech harmony one before i have no intention of getting the rf branded one as i hated the sluggishness and delayed response of that remote

stands going to be very similar to the salamander oslo triple 339 and fortunately at a fraction of the price

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/chameleon/#/oslo

I'll subscribe also, because I've put all of my gear in an older TV cabinet and I'd like to close the doors while using the system.

I have newer equipment that outputs menus and such via HDMI, so I intend on only having the monitor on top, everything else but the speakers hidden.

I'm addressing the heating issues now, tho this whole thing is subject to modification at any time, with no notice. LOLL

At this point, I'm using one 140mm silent PC fan, rated at 60 CFM, which is a little low so I bought 4 of them. I've got one installed now, and it is really silent! Nice! The LED's are rather bright, I'll take a pic later and show you.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Silent-140mm-R4-L4S-10AB-GP/dp/B001QZ6TBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328467251&sr=1-1

But I also need to figure out the remote control thingy...

Hey guys,

I use a Logitech Harmony 1100 and this IR repeater:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/accessories/devices/378

I have yet to run out of range and it can be operated from all over the building and even outside. It has individual probes that attach to your individual pieces of equipment that send the signal directly to the repeater then to the remote. It will also work with the 800 or 1000.

Hope this is of some help,

W. C.

In my experience IR repeaters are one of those "good news / bad news" products.

First the good news. In many if not most applications they work GREAT. I have used several different sets with good success and them doing exactly what I needed done. I lived for a short time in a duplex where the single cable box was in the living room but I wanted to control it from the bedroom. For the curious as to "why" I had it hooked to the living room TV (a 42" LCD) with component cables and to the bedroom by a 25' HDMI cable.

Before we get to the bad news let's get our terminology straight. An IR repeater set consists of a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter lives in the room where the remote control is. The receiver lives in the room or closet or cabinet where the equipment to be controlled is. Typically the receiver will have a 1/8" jack on it for plugging in an additional IR emitter.

Now the bad news... They don't work properly in ALL situations. In particular where there's a LCD TV in the same room as the transmitter. For whatever reason some LCD TVs give off IR radiation that interferes with the transmitter.

When I tried to do essentially the same thing in my house I could NOT make it work. As soon as I turned the 37" LCD in the bedroom (a nice LG by the way) the LED in the transmitter lit up as though it was receiving a signal from the remote and it never went off. Needless to say the remote could just not seem to punch through whatever IR radiation that the TV was giving off and work. Turn off the TV and the LED went out and the transmitter responded to button presses on remote.

Since at the house I'm working with DirecTV hardware rather than Comcrap... Errr... I mean Comcast hardware the ultimate solution for me was RF remotes rather than IR remotes.

You want a little more "good news"? IR repeater sets aren't very expensive at all and many sellers will take them back if you can't make them work. You should also watch the various A/V and HT forums as I see them come up for sale fairly often at really cheap prices. I sold the 3 sets I had at less than $20 a set.

Good luck!!!