Heresy Industrial Black Paint -- What kind of finish is it exactly?

ryansupak

Hi, here's question 2 of 2 about a pair of Heresy Industrial speakers I picked up.

They could use a new coat of paint or at least some major touch-ups. I'm wondering exactly what kind of paint they used. I don't think it's anything like latex paint -- it has a "stipply" finish texture and even hidden parts of the box have a "satin" finish sheen.

I was thinking that it might be some kind of off-the-shelf enamel, but I saw a comment in another thread that hinted it might be a kind of "fiberglass" finish.

At any rate, if anyone knows what a readily-available equivalent is I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

rs

I was thinking that it might be some kind of off-the-shelf enamel, but I saw a comment in another thread that hinted it might be a kind of "fiberglass" finish.

There are three type of finishes. No finish - plain birch, painted, and fiberglass coated. The fiberglass coated has swirls in it and if you look closely, you can see the fiberglass threads. The fiberglass always has metal trim around them. The painted could have metal trim, or in some models, black plastic corner guards.

Sanded and did some sealing/structural repairs. Encountered lots of bondo, house paint, and (definitely) glued-on back panels.

This might be "heresy" (get it?! BWAHAHAHAHA!) but I think I might use a little wood stain and several layers of Zinsser Shellac and go for the "Truth In Materials" look. (The metal corners that I'm considering are, of course, not original but they'll do a lot to protect the corners, which are all quite worn.)

klipsch_sanded.jpg