Altec A7's

kg4guy

Picking up a pair of Altec A7's they are in very nice condition and at $400. for the pair can't complain I always wanted a pair of these they have 511B horns however they don't have Altec driver but JBL 2425J's also EV woofers I will most likely get a pair of the 416's for them and may keep the JBL drivers also have a pair of Kappa C'c fs 31hz and pretty high Vas 11.2 cu. ft. not the 26 cu. ft. the 416's have any thoughts?

Nice find I have read alot about Altec a-7's over on the altec board and in other places. The consensus seems to be, use 416's if you can find them and original Altec drivers. Also many say that in these type of cabinets, these speakers dont go that low, and an equalizer will help alot. If you find that you like the Altec sound at all? Spend the time dialing them in which can be labor intensive, but well worth it. Unlike the Klipsch speakers I have heard which always sound good Altecs are a little different.

The 416 is a good driver and commands a good price (varies by specific version).

The cabinets were not designed to dig that low in the bass by today's standards. If you want more bass, I would not use an equalizer. Rather the vent can be decreased to about 1/3 its current size (as shown in your photos) and that will help. This and other mods (especially bracing) are discussed in the Lansing forum.

Incidentally, when folks refer to the A7 cabinet, or more generally, the Voice of the Theater (VOTT), they are not always talking about the same thing. The A& was produced over a number of decades and there were various configurations for the tweeter horn/drivers (811, 511, Mantaray, etc).

I have a set of minty original A7 cabinets and 511 horns. Got the cabinets from Harry O they were hung in Market Square Arena. Green drivers sold to overseas market. Would like to fill them and use them or sell them at some point. If you find extra drivers or want to sell what came in yours I'd be interested.

As I said I'm most likely going to get a pair of 416's from GPA and then see if I decide to keep the JBL drivers or get a pair of 902's or 909's to bad K-43's wouldn't work in these got a spare pair :( I'm also curious how these sound I had a pair of Altec 14's in the late 70's and liked them but that was before I had a pair of La scala's or my DIY MWM set up.