Tube Amp

ChipByrd

As Craig implies, there are many factors that contribute to noise and hum in tube components. As he also points out, the amount of power supply noise rejection is not always directly related to the amount plate voltage filter capacitance. Preference for one component over another or valve vs SS is highly subjective -- my point here has to do with an amplifiers's self noise. Directly AC heated triodes tend to have more hum than inderectly heated push pull output stages, which suggests circuit topology is very much a contributing factor, too.

Vintage tube amps can be incredible and extremely quiet with horns, as can modern counterparts.

I have heard some on this site say they [tubes] partner great with Klipsch and others say it doesn't make much of a difference

If you looking for something different, have you considered a SET amp? They do indeed sound different, making your music practically glow from within. Your Chorus speakers are sensitive enough to use with such a device. Decware has gear in your price range, and a 30-day return policy if you don't like it.

How many of you two-channel guys have bass traps and other room enhancements?...would [they] be helpful in my 11.5' x 18' basement?

How high is your ceiling?

Chris

Hi,

My budget is rather low so I will have to go used. I don't know where to begin. Can I find a good used tube amp in the $600 - 800 range? If so, what kinds would you suggest? Thanks for the help.

Chip

I have found several nice tube amps in that price range. Two that I currently own are an Elite 80 (http://www.idealinnovations.biz/default.htm), a 20 watt Canadian built amp. The second is a Sophia Ellectric "Baby" amp. The Sophia I bought used off of Agon and currently powers my La Scalas. The Baby only has 10 watts but that is plenty for the La Scalas and does not lack for bass. Both amps are dead quiet (as any properly set up amp should be). The Elite 80 sounded particularly good with my Fortes (now gone) and therefore might be a good match for the Chorus. Good luck.

My ceiling is almost 7'.

You might get the biggest bang/buck by having carpet on the floor and acoustic panels on the ceiling and perhaps also the side walls about halfway back to your listening position from your speakers, which will allow you to place your speakers closer to the corners to get wide spacing and better bass response.

You can create your own using Owens Corning panels. If you can find the panels close to where you live, you can save even more.

Chris