Setup & Calibration Question

kapsnb01

Been lurking for quite a while and have posted a couple times before. Really appreciate the advice & knowledge that I've been able to glean from you guys.

I feel like an idiot for asking this, but I've been slowly putting together a system again, (right now it's only at a 3.1), and I think it sounds alright. My question though is how you guys go about calibrating and getting it "dialed in". I ask because although I think my system sounds good, I don't think it's "dialed in" as well as it could be. I've run the YPAO calibration on the receiver, it's turning the sub down -10db and has left the mains and center flat.

My room is about 13x13 with vaulted ceilings and is open on one side to the dining room & kitchen, as well as having the stair case down. The bass is boomy (which maybe is due to my old JBL?), and I sometimes lose quiet dialogue when listening at lower volumes.

I have loads of questions and few answers at this point, so was hoping for some advice as to what others do. Complete noob, I know... Is there something I should read (have read my manuals, but kind of feel like an idiot and am afraid to mess with something for fear I'll hose it up)? One question that comes to mind also - the sound modes...are these at all worthwhile, or should I have the receiver set to "straight" mode or "pure direct" mode?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance, and thanks for your patience, but I appreciate any help!

If YPAO is lowering the sub that much, turn the gain level on the sub down and re-run YPAO. Ideally the sub should be as close to the same level as your other speakers.

Boomy bass can be the result of the sub's crossover level and/or the placement of the sub in the room.

As far as sound modes go, modes like 'pure direct' many times disable certain things in the receiver and is usually recommended only for critical 2-channel listening.

If you'd like more help, I live in Saint Cloud and would be more than happy to stop by and help you set things up! I also have an Avia DVD that will help calibrate your HDTV. Let me know!

Sorry...typo on the room size, it's actually 15x13, so not square, but fairly close. I can post a picture of it, but we've got out of town guests this weekend, so may be later this weekend.

Wuzzzer, thanks for the offer, in fact if you don't mind, I'd really appreciate some help! Small world... I'm sure part of the problem with the boomy bass is the WAF. It's entirely possible that it's not in the best location, but is currently in the "approved" location...ha! It also seemed odd to me that YPAO would run the sub down to -10db, but wasn't sure if that was partly the room or what.

I'll try to get a couple pictures up later this weekend and wuzzzer, maybe we can work something out when you have time. Thanks for the help!