Dad's Engines

bluesboy

My e-mail can accept files of any size.

Full resolution raw files are my preference. Just copy them directly from the camera with no intermediate saves.

Alternatively, you can use www.sendthisfile.com to send files of any size via FTP (not e-mail or Web browser). Zip the files together to save having to transfer each file individually.

Oh, and best if you can get them out from behind the glass.

Look at the centerfold pictures on my Web site. Just go to a magazine thumbnail on the left side and click on it to see a small copy of the centerfold picture. The centerfold pictures are always on the lower right hand corner of the Table of Contents.

I'm not proposing a centerfold article this time but the flat six might be a nice one to feature in a centerfold. Does your dad attend the GEARS model engineering show in Portland?

I decided to take some more shots of Dad's engines in order for you to get a better idea of the actual size of the models. I'm also going to attempt to describe them in better detail.

First off is a 45 degree V twin. It aws designed and built by Don Ells (Dad) between 1999 and 2000. It's bore and stroke is 1.000"x1.125". It displaces 29cc or 1,77 cu". This engine has a pushrod valve system. The design goal was to have the engine resemble a Harley Davidson Pan Head of the 1940's and 50's.

post-15074-13819689835324_thumb.jpg

This is a model of a 14 cylinder radial aircraft engine. It was designed by Lee K Hodgson and built by Don Ells between 1996 and 1997. It has a bore and stroke of 1.000"x1.125". It has a displacement of 203cc or 12.37 cu". This model is not scaled from any particular full sized engine but is generic of many engines that were manufactured before and during WW 2 and for many years after.

post-15074-13819689837716_thumb.jpg

This is a model of a Stirling powered tractor.This model was designed by Rudy Kouhoupt and built by Don Ells in 2009. This tractor is powered by a Stirling Cycle Engine aka hot air engine. The heat source for this engine is an alcohol burner.

post-15074-13819689840618_thumb.jpg

This is a model of a Barr & Stroud 1/3 scale motorcycle engine. The model was designed by Pieter Dekker and built by Don Ells in 2002. It's bore and stroke is .866"x1.18". It has a displacement of 11.4cc or .695 cu". This model is of a sleeve-valve motorcycle engine produced in the early 1920's by the firm of Barr & Stroud of Glasgow Scotland. The sleeve-valve design is where the piston is located within a sleeve which is located inside the cylinder. The sleeve moves somewhat up and down and rotates back and forth to open and close porting whitch allows this engine to operate in 4 cycle manner.

post-15074-13819689844078_thumb.jpg

This is a 1/4 scale model of Kiiner K-5. It was designed bt Pieter Dekker and built by Don Ells in 1996-97. This is a 5 cylinder radial engine with a bore & strke of 1.086"x 1.312" and a displacement of 99.6 cc or 6.076 cu".

This engine was used in a number of aircraft in the 1930's and 40's. Among them was the Gee-Bee, Bruner-Winkle Bird and the PT-22 Ryan low winged monoplane trainer used during WW2. The engine had a bore & stroke of 4.25"x 5.25".which gave it a displacement of 372 cu" and 100 hp.

post-15074-13819689869534_thumb.jpg

This is a 1/4 scale model of a Wright J-5 engine. This model was designed by Carl Carlsson and built by Don Ells in 2007-08. It has a bore & stroke of 1.000"x1.102" and displaces 128 cc or 7.79 cu".

This is a model of the engine that powered The Spirit of Saint Louis, the plane that Charles Lindberg flew solo across the Atlantic in 1927.

post-15074-1381968987162_thumb.jpg