Khorn Midrange? Problem

I was just listening to a Franck organ choral on a Telarc CD. It has a very quite passage with extremely low (32hz or lower) fundamentals. The left midrange horn began to flutter at the resonant frequency. The right did not.

Is it blown? Should I check for debris or something?

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: 21rst Century

I've listened to a wide variety of music at various levels over the past 3 days, and I've not heard this before. It only occurs on one speaker on about three notes somewhere down in the less than 40hz range. I've noticed it on no other recordings. It is repeatable.

Pretty rarified, but still unacceptable.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Don't ignore the possibility that this behaviour may be due some anomally in the recording itself - especially as this is the only recording with which you can hear this effect and is reproducible.

To paraphrase an old acronym WSI=WSO

Weird stuff Stuff In = Weird Stuff OUT.

Bob/Lynn: Haven't reversed leads. I do not expect this to reverse. It is really, really low bass and sounded identical (except for the flutter) from each horn. I will do so just to eliminate the issue.

If it is present on the recording, then reversing will be useful.

Frankly, it really sounds like a woofer luffing. How this could come out of a MIDRANGE HORN mistifies me.

It is definitely related to resonance, as it is there for about three notes, then disappears as the music goes on down for another three or four.

Dave

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

If the Klipschorns are 82 or newer it may be the bananna plugs from the high end section where they plugs into the bass section. I thought I had a blown K55M, after replacment it sounded the same. I cut off the bananna plugs and used spades. Pull the speaker away from the wall while playing and give the wire a shake. If it makes noise fix it.

Nope, 1976 models. I've not pursued this further as it has only occured on that one disc. I belive it to be an aberration, though I intend at some point to pull the unit out so I can access the m driver and see if I can pin it down.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Haven't tried that. List member Gil McDermott visited Saturday and I was unable to duplicate it using the same material. After the fact, I found that I'd inadvertently left the amp in mono after playing a 78. May try again today.

Of course, if it goes away I shall not be too sad.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett