Price check on Forte I's and what to look for before buying?

jeff spicoli

There is a pair locally for sale and I was wondering what would be a realistic value for these speakers? They are lacquer walnut and have had a woofer replaced and a small ding on one the sides.

I also wanted to know if there was anything in particular that I should look for before making an offer. I have had a pair of Cornwalls and currently have a pair of LaScala's, but deals like this never come up in my area and if I can get them for a good price I'd like to try them out.

How do they compare to their big brothers the Cornwall's and LaScala's?

Was the woofer replaced with the correct one? If it wasn't that would be a huge value killer in my book.

I sold a walnut Forte pair to a forum member for $375 + shipping last year. They were 100% original and easily 8/10 condition.

As far as things to look for, make sure you can listen to them before you take them home. Put your ear in each horn to make sure they're working. With no sound playing to the speakers press gently on the front woofer while looking at the passive woofer. The passive should move back and very slowly return to its neutral position. If it doesn't the cabinet isn't sealed correctly and it will affect the sound, mainly the bass output.