klipsch forte II

tommy_q

• Moderators

I can only play it at volumen -10db ~0 db (max is +20db) otherwise everybody at house complained.

Well all that tells you is your music sucks, or your deaf or both [:o]

You need to break them in slowly, I'm not talking about the speakers.

Really -10 to 0 really means nothing, every model is different, but it must have been loud.

To me the easiest way to look inside is to remove the passive on the rear, or the woofer, the cabinet does not come apart unless broken. [:|]

It's easy and cheap to replace any rusty screws, so sure, go for it. [Y] You got a nice pair of speakers.

Dennie;

You mentioned update the crossover and I went to the Bob and Michael Crites site. It is really helpfulr to know you can get all replacement from there.

How do you decide you need to replace your crossover? using your ear or using some instruments to measure the frequency response?

I see a repair kit and you can DIY the crossover yourself. Do yo DIY yours or ask Bob to do it?

When I check the speaker, I found the screws for K-23 and KD-13 woofers are all rusted but screws on midrange and tweeter look good. Do I need to repalce those rust screws? Do you know how to open the cabinet because I am curious to look inside the speaker and nake sure it is still healthy.

Thanks

Tao

Hey Tommy, if the speaker is 20+ years old, it would probably benefit from new capacitors or crossovers. I bought new crossovers from Bob and Michael Crites for my La Scalas. So, all I had to do was loosen screws and change them out, one wire at a time. If you decide to just do the "Caps" then someone here can help walk you through it or send them to Bob and Michael and have them do it. Only you can decide how you want to do it.

Do a search here, as there have been many threads on "Caps" and "Crossovers". As far as the rusted screws, yes replace them and check the speaker for any moisture damage. I've never opened a Forte, so someone else will have to help with that.

How do you like them?

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Dennie;

I compared the sound from forte with my other speakers (KG2.5 and polk speakers)>. I like the sound of forte. It produces much more details and more dynamic range. Because I don't have any experience about forte, I just want to know if it in its good condition. I am not an expert at music. I am electric engineer so I perfer to use some instrument to measure the status of the speakers. I loev to replace the circuit component of the speaker if neccesary.

Now, I plan to fish all wires in drywall and find the best places for all my speakers.

BTW, which center speaker is best fit for forte? Now I used C5 and also use one of KG2.5 as center.

Tommy

• Moderators

Thanks, Vondy!

I will look around in craiglist for academy.Hmm

Just so you know (if you didn't ?) another forte works best, IF there is room for it. I say this because sometimes an Academy can cost as much as a pair of forte's.

For what its worth, I used Crites replacement tweeter domes and splurged on his replacement crossovers for my Forte ll and have been very happy. While the tweeters worked before, they are now cleaner sounding. I am constantly amazed at the sound of these speakers. As I have upgraded turntable, pre-amp and amplifier they just sound even better.

Brad