Celeron vs Pentium 2 performance

Gxcad

Hey everyone, I was wondering, I already know how the duron compares to the thunderbird and how the pentium coppermine compares to the celeron 2 but I was wondering how the original celeron compares to the pentium 2 (since I am thinking about replaceing my P2 333 with a 466mhz celeron, I'm thinking no matter how inferior the celeron is a 133mhz speed advantage will make it faster but the fact that the pricetag is a good $45 lower is a little bothering, is the celeron better in this case? how does the celeron compare with the P2 at similar speeds? are there somethings the pentium just does better than the celeron? Although I don't plan to OC either of these chips, if you have any info on OC capabilities between P2 and celeron and are willing to share by all means do so as well smile.gif thanx.

-Gxcad

c>f>

While I'm an AMD-man myself, I can offer this info to you:

Pentium II

==========

The Slot1 350, 400 and 450MHz PII's are 100MHz FSB with 32K L1 cache and 512K L2 cache running at half-processor speed.

The BallGridArray 300, 333, 366, and 400MHz PII's are 66MHz FSB with 32K L1 cache and 256K L2 cache running at full-processor speed.

90% of the PII's use a .25micron core. Slot1's consume around 27watts, BGA's consume about half that power.

Celeron (466MHz and higher)

===========================

They all feature .18micron core and consume around 18watts (+/- 4watts).

They all feature 32K L1 cache and 128K full-processor speed cache.

The 500, 550, 600, 650, and 700MHz Celeron's are available in 100MHz FSB (in BGA/PGA configuration).

The 500, 533, 566, 600, 633, 667 and 700MHz Celeron's are available in 66MHz FSB (in Socket 370 configuration).

Pricing

=======

I've found Celeron's from $75 - $105 (retail box) and Pentium II's from $75 to $120 (retail box).

It's really a toss-up; the performance is so close on these 'as is'. The Celeron's are known for their overclockability, but they all suffer the same L2 cache bottleneck.

Conversely, you can get a nice AMD Duron 700 for $85 and blow away all of the Intel offerings in that price range (and PIII's as well).

------------------

BMW- The Ultimate Driving Machine.

Klipsch- The Ultimate Listening Machine.

Between the Celeron and the P2, there is no comparison-----go Celeron, even in the 66 mhz form it will do better than P2. As far as overclocking them, it's not uncommon to go 50% over with no adverse affects. Of course I assume you'll be use a Processor fan. This CPU is a gluton for punishment and comes back lookin for more. But I gotta admit I am a AMD fan. The new duron will blow both of these away. I've actually seen reports of the 600 Duron doing as well as a 700 P3! And the Duron is getting VERY favorable reports of overclocking too!(IF that's your bag). I have a bud in ST. LOUIS that has one (500) set up to a 800, and the company that did it for him will still give full year warranty on it! He's been using it for about a month and ahalf and no glitches so far.

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by geekysteve:

While I'm an AMD-man myself, I can offer this info to you:

Pentium II

==========

The Slot1 350, 400 and 450MHz PII's are 100MHz FSB with 32K L1 cache and 512K L2 cache running at half-processor speed.

The BallGridArray 300, 333, 366, and 400MHz PII's are 66MHz FSB with 32K L1 cache and 256K L2 cache running at full-processor speed.

90% of the PII's use a .25micron core. Slot1's consume around 27watts, BGA's consume about half that power.

Celeron (466MHz and higher)

===========================

They all feature .18micron core and consume around 18watts (+/- 4watts).

They all feature 32K L1 cache and 128K full-processor speed cache.

The 500, 550, 600, 650, and 700MHz Celeron's are available in 100MHz FSB (in BGA/PGA configuration).

The 500, 533, 566, 600, 633, 667 and 700MHz Celeron's are available in 66MHz FSB (in Socket 370 configuration).

Pricing

=======

I've found Celeron's from $75 - $105 (retail box) and Pentium II's from $75 to $120 (retail box).

It's really a toss-up; the performance is so close on these 'as is'. The Celeron's are known for their overclockability, but they all suffer the same L2 cache bottleneck.

Conversely, you can get a nice AMD Duron 700 for $85 and blow away all of the Intel offerings in that price range (and PIII's as well).

Ummm, none of the P II's have full speed L2 cache and also Celerons do NOT come in 100mhz FSB. Even the new Celeron II's only have 66mhz FSB. The new Celeron II's DO have on-die full speed L2 cahse, though.

I wouldn't dare touch a Celeron (Pentium gone evil) my dads friend bought one not to long ago couldn't run video games.. I mean if you're into spreadsheet work sure.. but I've got a PII 400 and I'm happy with it runs awesome games etc. I can trade it in soon for a new puter redface.gif)

KC