Emotiva amp power ratings

JasonJCarney

So I was looking at the Emotiva website. They now have PDF files of amplifier tests that were conducted. It shows the XPA-5 and XPA-3 around 205-210 rms watts at 8 ohms per channel. The XPA-1 shows 500.5 watts rms. The XPA-2 however shows only 264 ish rms watts for each of the 2 channels. They claim it to be 300 at 8 ohms. Could that be why the XPA-2 is not currently available? Maybe they are going back to the drawing board on it? Im intrested in getting a nice 2 channel amp to complete my system so if anyone has a heads up on this situation I would love to hear it. thx

The XPA-2 however shows only 264 ish rms watts for each of the 2 channels. They claim it to be 300 at 8 ohms.

Jason,

Look further down the page and you will see that the test run showed power results at different THD% and frequencies:

Right channel---266.8 watts/0.021486% THD at 1kHZ

Left channel------264.1 watts/0.019699% THD at 1kHz

Factory specs state 300 watts/0.1% THD from 20Hz to 20kHz

Not really A-B test results. It does appear to be honest and accurate.

Bill

Thank for pointing that out Bill. Makes some sense now. I wonder why they didn't compare apples to apples with the test. Seeing how the other amp rating came out im sure the XPA-2 would be right in line with the 300 anyway. I am curious to see if they come out with another line of amps since the discontinued the UPA line.

When I bought the XPA-2 it was listed as 250 watts per channel. This was over 3 years ago. Some third party tested the amp and it was making over 315 watts per channel at the distortion level they were looking for. Shortly after the amps were listed as 300 watts a channel. I was pleased by the testing as you can imagine! [H]

In discussion with one of their factory reps, Lonnie at Axpona 2 years ago he confirmed that the XPA-3 and 5 will make much higer speced power when fun in a two channel conifig. These numbers are certainly in range of what the 2 is speced for. His words of caution were that the amplifier card in the 3/5 are identicle and built to a different spec than the 2. My direct question was it safe for me to run and crank on my 5 in stereo mode? His answer was yes it is safe but that will not be advertised as such because they have built a two channel just for that. Makes sensce to me.

I believe that Lonnie specs the XPA-3 for 2 channel on their forums/amplifiers/"Meet the XPA-3" thread.

I have the XPA-5 and ordered the 2. After several week of listening in the home and expecting to be wowed, especially on thelow end, it just was not there. Top to bottom I thought the 5 was more pleasing to me in two channel. I was using a Marantz avr as the pre and Chorus IIs as the test subjects.

I ate $70 sending the 2 back to Emotiva. They were great to work with by the way!

Good luck in the search.

Power specs from the Emotiva site, XPA -3

Power output into 8 ohms
200 watts into 3 channels
250 watts into 2 channels
300 watts into 1 channel

Power output into 4 ohms
300 watts into 3 channels
400 watts into 2 channels
500 watts into 1 channel

THD 0.006%

Frequency response of 10-150Khz (-3db) and 20-20Khz (+/- 0.125db)

After several week of listening in the home and expecting to be wowed, especially on thelow end, it just was not there. Top to bottom I thought the 5 was more pleasing to me in two channel.

Very interesting... I have the same amps and have always preferred the XPA-2 in 2 channel. It has just seemed to have more thump and authority at very high SPLs. I have not tested them on my Chorus lls, my tests were on my RF-7s. Both are great amps though! I can't wait for the XPR amps.

I am not surprised that many may feel the same way that you do Vital. Reading the specs I was convinced that I would prefer the 2 vs the 5. I found the bass between the two virtually a draw. I was very surprised at that after all that I had read. As far as the mids and highs, smoother, more detailed and no fatuige that I did experiece with the 2. On obtaining the rma from Emotiva and giving the reason for return, they said that they have heard that more than once. Helped me feel that I wan't "that" crazy. I glad you are happy with your set up!