lascalas bass horn

mtb

dear sirs, thinking about a used pair of la scalas. just wondering what exactly the bass horn is? is it purely exponential, or a conical " rubber throat " ? whats the freq. cutoff of the horn? is it foreshortened? i'm asuming its a 1/8 horn. thanks so much

It is a remarkable horn with a rubber throat that is actually made from wood. While it technically starts to roll off @ 100 Hz it will put the majority of speakers on the market new or old to shame. It is one of the most enjoyable and exciting speaker's ever and is extremely compact for the performance it delivers. The Lascala is eco friendly as you only need 1 Watt for wife friendly listening pleasure. For drunken parties it is the speaker that still works "the day after".

"It is a remarkable horn with a rubber throat that is actually made from
wood."

The Klipschorn and Jubilee have the so called 'rubber throat', the LaScala does not.

What this means is that the initial taper rate in those two is a 100hz expansion, followed by a 50hz expansion in the Klipschorn, and a 38hz expansion in the Jubilee. The LaScala is 100hz throughout.

The main reason for doing this is to make the horn shorter, although claims are made for less HF distortion (but never backed up with measurements).

dear sirs, thinking about a used pair of la scalas. just wondering what exactly the bass horn is? is it purely exponential, or a conical " rubber throat " ? whats the freq. cutoff of the horn? is it foreshortened? i'm asuming its a 1/8 horn. thanks so much

It is not a "1/8 horn". While it can be used in a corner (1/8 space) and take some advantage of that particular location for improved low end response as almost any speaker can it was not designed to specifically be part of a tridedral corner using the trihedral corner as an extension of, or part of the bass horn.

It's kinda square shaped and a danger to small kids and neighbors.

FWIW, if anyone remembers the old Memorex commercials where Ella Fitzgerald sings and breaks a wine glass with her voice ~ (Is it live? Or is it Memorex?), well, it's neither. It's Klipsch LaScala!

I have a copy of the press release somewhere. They pumped a peak power of over 1KW+ into an industrial LaScala. They claimed the resulting instantaneous SPL was something like 140dB. There was also a disclaimer and warning. "Don't try this at home. The resulting sound level will cause immediate and permanent damage to hearing and possible damage to internal organs".

Why aren't we using these things in Afghanistan?

It's kinda square shaped and a danger to small kids and neighbors.

FWIW, if anyone remembers the old Memorex commercials where Ella Fitzgerald sings and breaks a wine glass with her voice ~ (Is it live? Or is it Memorex?), well, it's neither. It's Klipsch LaScala!

I have a copy of the press release somewhere. They pumped a peak power of over 1KW+ into an industrial LaScala. They claimed the resulting instantaneous SPL was something like 140dB. There was also a disclaimer and warning. "Don't try this at home. The resulting sound level will cause immediate and permanent damage to hearing and possible damage to internal organs".

Why aren't we using these things in Afghanistan? Idea

I expect the Belle are a lot safer with the flat nose, though.

"They pumped a peak power of over 1KW+ into an industrial LaScala"

Myth.

They actually used a long tube aimed directly at the glass just off camera. An oscillator tuned to the resonant frequency of the glass applied the power. A compression driver drove the tube. Less than 100W was used.

"They pumped a peak power of over 1KW+ into an industrial LaScala"

Myth.

They actually used a long tube aimed directly at the glass just off camera. An oscillator tuned to the resonant frequency of the glass applied the power. A compression driver drove the tube. Less than 100W was used.

Perhaps you didn't read me completely. I said I have a copy of the Press Release from Memorex. What's your source of documentation?