Side-by-side: Should La Scalas Sound Better than Klipschorns?

Rhetor

This is not a poll, but a question to see if I have a speaker problem or just bad taste!

While not new to Klipsch, I am new to vintage Klipsch.

I recently picked up a pair of '76 La Scalas and then a pair of '79 K-horns.

The La Scalas came with a blown tweeter and the same sounding like it had a blanket n it. The other speaker sounded like the tweeter crackeled at little. Opened the blown tweeter and diaphragm crumbled (would ruin even a new diaphragm, I knew). So, I came under the impression there is no exact diaphram match for the K-77 La Scalas, but that Crites had a diahram and a work around with a substitute horn, but still there existed no excellent exact replacement for the K-77 La Scala diaphram. So, Instead of just new 3rd party diaphragms (or Bob's intermediate workaround, I ordered and installed his CT125s . . . Wonderful, and made me very happy, but still a blanket over the sound of one. Recapped the AAs with Bob's kit . . . Amazing! Even the bass bins came alive, with acceptable. 2 channel thump! Then I got the K-horns, thinking, "If the La Scalas sound this great in two chanel, these K-horns are going to blow my ears off! No tweeter, mid, or woofer problem--all original, but just did not sound right, especially the highs and very weak thump. Mids on both were fine. Recapped the K-horns AAs with another Crites kit. Amazing, but still surprised at how little bass came out, but I guess that is what a sub is for.

Then, I hooked the K-horns and the La Scalas on the same system and run a four channel flat setup. I love the result . . . Except . . . The La Scalas . . . Gulp . . . I don't want a beating here . . . But the La Scalas sound a little better to me than the K-horns, even like the La Scalas have a little more bass. Now, I know that should not be true according to all of the technical specs. So, just fielding ideas here . . . Might I have a little more problem with the K-horns than just the recap they needed? Would the Crites tweeters make the La Scalas sound better when hooked up together? The bass thing, more in the La Scalas than the K-horns when everything is equal and flat, is what really confuses me as a person new to vintage Klipsch and makes me think I might have a k-horn problem. I do have the K-horns n real corners. N a log cabin. I have not put the foam pipe covers on the bass bin backs yet to try to get a better corner seal yet, but I can't hardly imagine the foam pipe covers would raise that much more bass our of the K-horns even though my corners are logs rather than a perfectly flat surface. So, just think out loud with me, those of you who have lived with K-horns and La Scalas for a long time . . . Do I have a K-horn problem, or do La Scalas have more bass sound than K-horns or do they generally sound better than K-horns? The K-horns sond amazing, but my La Scalas sound more amazing than the K-horns . . . As a noob aware of the technical specs, I know that should not be . . . Looking for same insight from experienced members.

Speakerfritz, I have read your posts and benefitted from many for 4 1/2 years now. When you talk, I listen. So, do you think then perhaps I have no real problem, that it may just be the need of K-horns for real corners to capture the bass in the K-horns and push it out? (or false corners in my log cabin log case.). Being a noob to K-horns and La Scalas, I just have no bank of listening experience with them, so everything could be working perfectly and what I am experiencing is normal?

• Moderators

I think speakerfritz is right, without a tight seal in the corner which you can not do with logs, false corners would fix your problem. The Khorn uses the corner and side walls as part of the cabinet. It would be like taking one side of a sub off leaving a big opening in the cabinet. It could not do what it's designed to do at all, well very little of what it's designed to do.

The Khorn will have much more bass than a LaScala when tight in the corner, sometimes almost to much bass.

You can do a search on false corners here or even better putting backs on the Khorns which do the same thing, they still then go into the corner but don't use the corner for the seal.

So, do you think then perhaps I have no real problem, that it may just be the need of K-horns for real corners to capture the bass in the K-horns and push it out? (or false corners in my log cabin log case.).

You could see the Corner Horn Imaging FAQ for additional information...

Chris

Thanks for the tip . . . Will do. Just trying to also figure if I have a problem or not . . . Some bodies with good ears who have experience with both should know if the issue I am experiencing is normal or not. While I love reading, and definitely read the FAQs in that link . . . I did not know it was available . . . Just trying to get a quick tell on my issue . . . Normal? Or not normal to hear that kind of difference in K-horns and La Scalas?

My ported lascala clones have pretty good bass, but turn up the volume a bit on the Klipschorns with the enclosed backs and well its no contest. Khorns wins hands down. Do a search on enclosed AND backs

http://forums.klipsch.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=enclosed+AND+backs&o=DateDescending

And you will get an idea of what you will be looking at. There are a few different kinds and all do a lot to get you to enjoy what you have bought.

• Moderators

Just trying to also figure if I have a problem or not

I would guess your only problem it not having the backs sealed it does make that much difference, not imposable but I doubt you have a driver problem. Without the back sealed the LaScala might have more bass.

If it were me I would build the backs on the Khorn and not just a false corner for them to sit in.