No sound from subwoofer, plz help!

Kreference52

Hello all, i recently purchased a new RSW-10D last December and it has performed well until tonight. I was watching the hulk and i paused it to turn the bass up on the sub and once i restarted the film, there was no bass. I have reset the sub, checked all connections, turned everything off and back on but still no sound. I also tried another movie and no bass. Any ideas? I have a Yamaha RX-V663. I can hear the humming noise if i touch the reciever or the sub connection with the sub cable. Thanks

Ok, not sure what happened but now its working. Everything was off for about 30 min and now the sub is working again. Now im wondering if theres a problem somewhere. Well, i guess i will just wait and see if it happens again before i look further into it. Back to my movie and beer[:D]

• 1 month later...

After a week of messing with this thing, the strangest thing happened. Over the past week, its been on and off with the bass. It'll work, then shut off. Most of the time, the bass cuts off after i crank it on a heavy bass scene. Well, yesterday i went to pick the sub up (sort of sideways) while i was testing it and it started putting out bass. I put it down and it stopped. I picked it back up and it started again, and so forth. I did this about 10 times. It worked when the sub was lifted and tilted sideways (to the right). Then the bass stopped after placed back on the floor. The power always was on (LED screen stayed lit). What could this be? Could it be something loose inside or something?

I have tried multiple cables and got the same thing. I even hooked up my MP3 player directly to the sub and it was the same. I had to lay it on its side to get bass output but after a hard hitting bass scene in transformers, it went out. I turned it on its other side and it started working. I even borrowed another receiver and it did the same. I thought it was my receiver at first but after this time, im pretty sure its the sub. I wish it was my receiver though. I really like this sub.

Could be a cracked or loose solder joint on the amp board.

My next thing was this. Something definitely jiggled loose. It looks like you are going to have to crack into the case. It may be obvious, and it may be harder to find. Since you can tip the thing one way, then that clue should be considered first. It seems gravity is helping, so if you can tip it on it's side while you have it opened up, perhaps you can isolate it more easily.

It seems the wire to the RCA input, and the wire to the driver would be the most likely places to look.

Looking forward to hearing what you find out.

could be the parallax reflective dome that's inside each of the magnets. i only say that because of your side-tipping experiments. I've seen (heard) similar instances where someone went and welded the parallax dome to the core suction rod and it fixed the issue. might be worth a try.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Ok, so i attempted to pull the amp out but it didnt exactly fall out. It barely moves after the screws are takin out. The amp seems to be in there pretty tight. Is there something else i need to unscrew or take apart to get to the amp? I didnt want to pull that hard on it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Ok, so i attempted to pull the amp out but it didnt exactly fall out. It barely moves after the screws are takin out. The amp seems to be in there pretty tight. Is there something else i need to unscrew or take apart to get to the amp? I didnt want to pull that hard on it.

There may be some gasket material making it stick.

As far as the warranty goes, im screwed. I bought it through amazon from 6AVE. Apparently 6AVE use to be an authorized dealer but now Klipsch is saying they are no longer authorized. I bought it after Klipsch shut them off. Also, i believe 6AVE is now out of business. Sucks really bad!

I took the rear woofer out and i was able to see inside the cabinet very well. I had to loosen the ribbon a bit in order to get the amp out. Im not sure what im actually looking for but everything looked to be in tact. There was no wierd looking goo leaking anywhere. I didnt see any burns or anything. Is there anything in particular i should be looking for? I checked all the wires and everything was good from what i can tell.

I'd take a close (magnifying glass close) look at the printed circuit and everything soldered to the boart. Look for hairline cracks in the solder or board. Also, check the wiring from the board to the driver. Make sure it's secure on both ends. Check the wiring on the driver itself also, look for cracks or voids where it's soldered on.

• 4 weeks later...

I contacted Klipsch about the problem and they shipped me a new amplifier. I stated my problem, and had a new amp on my doorsteps in 3 days. I thought i was screwed because 6AVE is out of business and no longer authorized but Klipsch went ahead and honored my warranty. Everyone says Klipsch has outstanding customer service and now im a believer. Im pretty happy right now. I just have to find someone to install it. There's a Klipsch dealer in my area that will do it for 55 bucks. Is this an ok price to pay?