Installing new caps in Cornwall I's

davestef

I want to get new caps for my cornwalls since theyve never been replaced. there are a couple options, one buy the caps only kit and solder them myself ($), or send my crossovers to them and theyll replace them for me ($$), or three buy completely new crossovers ($$$). I was hoping to do option #1. the thing is, ive never soldered anything before. It doesnt look hard, and i do like learning new skills and fixing things myself. do you guys have any tips/advice for replacing them yourself? i think the cap kit only come with a schematic for the crossover, but doesnt come with instructions that walk you through the process. http://www.amazon.com/Sinometer-Watts-Soldering-Iron-listed/dp/B0006NNRW4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1333429572&sr=8-7 would all i need be a soldering gun (is 30W ok?) and solder? or do i need a solder sucker to remove the old solder? http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Solder-Sucker/dp/B0002KRAAG/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

you can use crimp style connectors instead of soldering. if you decide to solder, you do not need a solder sucker since you would be cutting wires off the old caps and reusing them with their connected terminals.

Excellent idea!

Soldering really is pretty easy. I was shown how many years ago but didn't get too rusty after a 20 year lull. I think some visual aids would be good. Google brings up quite a bit of info. Check out the safety advice as well.

Crimps! Why didn't I think of that?!

Bought my first Heritage speakers and redid the caps myself on that pair of Las Scalas . . . ordered the kit from Crites, looked closely on his how to page, watched a couple of youtube videos on how to solder and went to work . . . have done a pair of crossovers from a set of K'horns. Really was fun learning how to solder the first time . . . just follow Mr. Crites page on how to change caps on a crossover after watching a few soldering videos, order supllies or get them at a big box store . . . and have fun!

hmm. i cant seem to find the how to page on crites website. if someone could post the link that would be awesome. and i think i will go ahead and try to do it myself. im in no real rush and i would take the time to practice before i actually do it. im not a complete idiot and im pretty handy. i feel like i could learn the soldering pretty quickly from the vids ive seen on youtube. i just dont know where all the parts would need to go and how to get the old ones out etc. its not really the soldering im worried about cause i can learn that, its the actual crossover, it just looks like a bunch of wires and stuff to me right now.

hmm. i cant seem to find the how to page on crites website. if someone could post the link that would be awesome. and i think i will go ahead and try to do it myself. im in no real rush and i would take the time to practice before i actually do it. im not a complete idiot and im pretty handy. i feel like i could learn the soldering pretty quickly from the vids ive seen on youtube. i just dont know where all the parts would need to go and how to get the old ones out etc. its not really the soldering im worried about cause i can learn that, its the actual crossover, it just looks like a bunch of wires and stuff to me right now.

PM sent.