La scala bass reflex cabinet size

kg4guy

We've mostly been figuring a 10" high box. If you port through the top, it has approx. 10" on the inside, but space is also taken up by the horn. Using a 10" box on the bottom will be fine.

Bruce

Given the small dimensions of the La Scalla's dog house I would expect that the more volume you can add the better. If you have the standard LS then you can also take advantage of the top section and couple that to the DH. Look at the volume of your FH-1 and you know what low frequency response you are getting from those which is bigger than a LS. I suppose that you could look to using drivers with a much lower Vas and a low Fs to achieve lower bass response. Best regards Moray James.

the FH-1 is a similar horn design compared to a La Scalla the FH-1 has a bigger dog house and a larger mouth. Users of the FH-1 have reported using the same woofer as that used in a La Scalla so it is fair to expect that a La Scalla with additional cavity volume will go lower. You have discussed this yourself and did the reflex mod. HR can simulate the impact on the speaker response with such changes and answer such what if questions. If an owner of a La Scalld does not mind a cut out in both ends of his dog house he can experiment with cabinet volume size. Not everyone is comfortable with HR, I am not.There will always be a point where too much of a good thing stops being good. Finding that point is what matters. You are correct that the best way to find out is with a model and HR is free. Your car might soud a lot cooler if you ran stright pipes. Best regards Moray James.

the FH-1 is a similar horn design compared to a La Scalla the FH-1 has a bigger dog house and a larger mouth. Users of the FH-1 have reported using the same woofer as that used in a La Scalla so it is fair to expect that a La Scalla with additional cavity volume will go lower. You have discussed this yourself and did the reflex mod. HR can simulate the impact on the speaker response with such changes and answer such what if questions. If an owner of a La Scalld does not mind a cut out in both ends of his dog house he can experiment with cabinet volume size. Not everyone is comfortable with HR, I am not.There will always be a point where too much of a good thing stops being good. Finding that point is what matters. You are correct that the best way to find out is with a model and HR is free. Your car might soud a lot cooler if you ran stright pipes. Best regards Moray James.

That depends on if the car has a cool engine.[;)]

I took off the air cleaner on my motorcycle one time.

I had to take off my shirt and stuff it in front of the carbs to get back home.

been there done that....bored out a moped carb jet based on some internet diy spec's...it ran like crap so i had to put a wire in the middle of it to get back my original Venturi width. lesson learned...it's a moped...it will never be a motorcycle.

I calculated the volume of the of the FH-1 at 2.25 cubic feet and the La Scala at 2.35, both have some margin of error but are within 5 percent of each other. This is probably not significant when you add the the extra volume of the added chamber of another 2.5 plus cubic feet.

post-42841-13819693505948_thumb.jpg

Gary: that is amazing as the visual had me thinking otherwise. I guess it's the same affect marketers use to choose a bottle shapre which looks larger than the competitos but is the same. I apologize if I mistakenly mislead anyone, I would never have guessed that they are almost identical. Best regards Moray James.