Epik Legend Dual 12in. Sub

derrickdj1

I am thinking about purchasing the Epik Legend 12, sub. Is it a good sub or other suggestions. The Klipsch SW 450 will be replaced since I can return it. It is not a bad sub and sounds good. I am doing the enemy of good thing, looking for better.[:$] I will have to subs in my family room HT. The other sub goes down to 21 Hz, do you think I will have problems with sub intergration. Level match or gain match the sub? The epik and the other sub both have 300 watt rms. The epik is a sealed sub and the other one ported.

• Audiophile dual 12 inch compact subwoofer system
  • 300W RMS amplifier
  • Parallel Drive Technology ™
  • Sealed cabinet design for improved sound quality & subsonic performance
  • Opposed side-firing drivers cancel out cabinet vibration
  • Stackable, side-by-side or separate placement abilities
  • Outstanding midbass performance
  • Massive ¾ inch thick internally braced cabinet
  • 1 inch thick grills with acoustically transparent fabric
  • Compact CAD designed enclosure
  • Precision CNC machined
  • Full 1 inch radius corners throughout
  • High quality black laminate finish
  • RCA dedicated LFE and Crossover inputs
  • 750W short-term RMS
  • Frequency response : 20-200 Hz +/-3.5 dB
  • 16 - 18 Hz usable in-room extension
  • Weight: 80 pounds shipped
  • Size: 18 H x 15 W x 20 D (13W w/o grills

i am no expert as i have never had to integrate two different subs, however i can tell you i have read countless threads on here about sub integration. so you ask if you will have a problem. my honest answer from what i have read is that unless you are a professional installer and have years of experience, it will probably not be easy. however with that being said it is not impossible. there are things out there to help you such as the sms-1 from velodyne. i recently heard a guys home theater and he had three different brand subs and his bass output and distribution was phoenominal!! i myself would recommend trying to find another match to what you have. or you could do what i did, and what everyone recommened me to do, i sold my old three subs and bought one beast!! the svs pb-13 ultra and holy cow is it amazing. whole different ball game from the klipsch rsw-10d that i came from. anyways food for thought, good luck with your search. let us know what you find.

I was more concered with the Legend rated near the HUS, Rythmik and HSU 120 lb. subs since it has dual 12 in. drivers which is more surface area than a 15 in. driver. I was wondering will this compliment or drown out the other sub. I will level match them and test the system out tomorrow and report my observation. I had no trouble intergrating the SW 450 with the 15 in. sub. This should be interesting. But for the price, it is a good deal and if needed I can get a second epik down the road.

Just set up the Epik Legend with my system. It is a heav, compact sub that looks nice in the family room. Great bass after the initial intergration with the 15in. sub Music is awesome with this sub, Very detailed midrange and bass note roll in on the room like a wave. Hit 105 db watching a clip form super 8 with the avr at -15 measure 17 from the front stage. I will toy with more placement options later. So far a definet keeper. A very powerful sub for the price.

The SW 450 is a very nice subwoofer, good output and quality of bass: it may be an under rated gem in the Klipsch sub line. Since it is a ported sub it is very efficient. Nothing bad to say about the SW 450 excpt, I wanted more bang for HT around 30-40 Hz.. My AA sub has good low extension at the expensive of higher volume. I wondered if a sub could really improve music, which the Epik Legend is described as being able to do. I listen to a lot of extended stereo in my system. So, I thought of one thing in my system that would improve HT and music to upgrade. The Ledgend seemed like a good addition. I set all speakers to small with the sub working. The legend is very good with music, more clarity of the low midrange. The bass seems to roll across my room like a wave. The legend to my ear has zero distortion which is great for ht and music. I also like the extra power and low extension so I can feel things in certain movies. I have not done multlple room placements, so I may do that next. The SC 35 handels standing waves so well that intergration was very easy between the two sub. Thanks for the response.One last thing, due to the clarity of the legends bass output, it takes a little bit of listening to: to get use to. What is your review of the Emprie? I don't see anyother forum members with these subs yet.

I'm liking the Empire, but the only subs i can comparre it to, is the Klipsch KSW-10, and 2 Klipsch RW-12d, and its much better then any of them, but it was nice having 2 RW-12d's, but the Empire is musch better musicly, and definitly goes lower.

I seen a shoot of 18 in subs from a few years ago, HUS, Rythmin, Elemental Design and another popular sub brand with the Epik Legend. Performance wise, the Legend was a 98/100 if the 18in subs were 100/100. I wish I would have bookmarked the page. All the other subs were around 120 lbs.The Empire propably behaves like a 21in sub. It has a higher frequency range 20-300 Hz, where as, the Lengen is 20-200 Hz making it a great sub for music. Today I will try it out with a few BD. A good sub can give you more bang for you buck compared to buying larger speakers for your HT/ muti-channel music listening..

I was more concered with the Legend rated near the HUS, Rythmik and HSU 120 lb. subs since it has dual 12 in. drivers which is more surface area than a 15 in. driver. I was wondering will this compliment or drown out the other sub.

it is a good deal and if needed I can get a second epik down the road.

From my limited experience with the dual parallel drive Epiks, and from what I heard others say, it seems the dual parallel drivers negate some of the room placement issues. Paradigm and Genesis both use this same kind of configuration on their subs and woofer towers. It appears that this is another benefit over and above the vibration cancelling effect on the cabinet.

I had to use a Behringer DEQ2496 to get my Empire Epik's flat to 16Hz and cut out a lot of the higher frequencies. For music I think they are great. You would probably find the time delay on the Behringer useful as well.

I just posted the results of my subwoofer integration with Khorns.